• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Thinking about getting into Marketplace to sell discs

The Shide

Casual lurker
Sitting on hundreds of discs accumulated over the years & looking to find new homes for them.

I used to give away discs to the local clubs for CTP prizes & whatnot in their leagues/tournaments, but I've stepped back from being involved with the local DG scene for the past few years due to burn out, oh and that COVID thing. Also used to trade-in discs at local shop, but stopped for same reasons already mentioned.

So I was hoping to get some guidance from y'all on things related to the Marketplace.

For instance, in reading the Sleepy Scale, I noticed the only mention of INK on a disc is the highest grade, 10 says "Never thrown, no ink, brand new condition". Does that mean a grade of 9 and below could potentially have some ink?

A couple of other questions I have are: what is "gifting?" Sounds like it's a big NO-NO, but I still would like to be aware of what it means in the context of selling discs.

What is the standard practice form of payment most used (paypal, venmo)?

Okay, those are the pressing questions I have for now. Please share any tips you think might be helpful.

For instance, in reading the Sleepy Scale, I noticed the only mention of INK on a disc is the highest grade, 10 says "Never thrown, no ink, brand new condition". Does that mean a grade of 9 and below could potentially have some ink?

Correct. Just note in your description whether the disc is inked or not. If the ink is unobtrusive (inside the rim, etc.) you may wish to mention that.

What is the standard practice form of payment most used (paypal, venmo)?

Yes. ;)

I think I have only had to use something other than PayPal once.

Okay, those are the pressing questions I have for now. Please share any tips you think might be helpful.

If in doubt, underestimate rather than overestimate where a disc falls on the Sleepy scale.

If you have fancy discs or want to move a lot of discs quickly, from what I hear eBay or FB groups may currently be more active compared with DGCR.

Good luck!

In all honesty I feel like the marketplace here is more helping out others nowadays. If profit is your main concern sell elsewhere.

I miss the marketplace years ago!

I probably should have stated in my original post.
My financial wellbeing is not at stake here.
I have some really good discs that I want to make sure go to someone who really wants it.

I probably should have stated in my original post.
My financial wellbeing is not at stake here.
I have some really good discs that I want to make sure go to someone who really wants it.

In that regard you're in the right place!

:popcorn:

I find it best practice to always specify ink or no ink. Happy to provide photo showing ink if it is an issue for buyers. I hate doing returns and didnt want a misunderstanding to affect my MP rep.

A couple of other questions I have are: what is "gifting?" Sounds like it's a big NO-NO, but I still would like to be aware of what it means in the context of selling discs.

Pretty sure this is in regards to Paypal Friends & Family. When you "gift" it to friends & family there is no extra charges. Also no recourse for buyers who gift the money away via F&F. People want to save $1 or 2 and often want to go the gift route. Should be a sales transaction and somebody responsible for the extra charges. Then Paypal can protect buyers who dont get their items as it is a sale and not a gift.

Good luck!

Agreed with pretty much everything above. I do think FB will prove to move plastic quicker. The marketplace here has slowed down significantly since Covid. Now, most action is on wanted threads or fancy plastic.

But! Yeah, if you are in it for the slow roll, Marketplace should work just fine.

Agreed with pretty much everything above. I do think FB will prove to move plastic quicker. The marketplace here has slowed down significantly since Covid. Now, most action is on wanted threads or fancy plastic.

But! Yeah, if you are in it for the slow roll, Marketplace should work just fine.

The thing about FB is that I'm not on it & REALLY don't want to start now. Call me stubborn.

The thing about FB is that I'm not on it & REALLY don't want to start now. Call me stubborn.

I'm the same way, I mainly sell discs in person to people I know, but I do still sell some on here. Haven't been on FB since 2009 and I'm not going back.

The key beyond the rules is clear communication and expectations. A few pics and a hard date on when they ship by/send tracking after basically makes it work well.

Hope you have a ton of luck and if you do post I'll peruse the listing!

I find it best practice to always specify ink or no ink. Happy to provide photo showing ink if it is an issue for buyers. I hate doing returns and didnt want a misunderstanding to affect my MP rep.

Pretty sure this is in regards to Paypal Friends & Family. When you "gift" it to friends & family there is no extra charges. Also no recourse for buyers who gift the money away via F&F. People want to save $1 or 2 and often want to go the gift route. Should be a sales transaction and somebody responsible for the extra charges. Then Paypal can protect buyers who dont get their items as it is a sale and not a gift.

Good luck!

Adding to the above....

Regarding PayPal...(and others)...a new law was passed that if your account exceeds $600 gain in one year, PP has to take out taxes and provide you a form for your taxes. I believe it is for both Friends and Family, and Goods and Services.

I've been thinking about getting into the Marketplace as well, so far this is a really helpful thread.

I've bought and some a few things. It's super easy using the marketplace here. Your average, run of the mill discs may move slowly unless you price them cheap enough. Anything rare, collectible or in high demand will likely move quickly if you price it fairly.

I have hundreds of discs I need to find a new home for. Selling one or two at a time would take me forever. Unlike the covid era where disc store shelves and used bins were empty, the stores are fully stocked and the used bins are overflowing so I might just have to sit on my stash until the next pandemic.

Adding to the above....

Regarding PayPal...(and others)...a new law was passed that if your account exceeds $600 gain in one year, PP has to take out taxes and provide you a form for your taxes. I believe it is for both Friends and Family, and Goods and Services.

Only partially correct... they do not take out taxes. They will issue you a 1099-K on the payments received if over $600.

As a thrower of aging plastic I'd be super excited to see your collection. Please let us know if you end up selling some of your stuff?

As a thrower of aging plastic I'd be super excited to see your collection. Please let us know if you end up selling some of your stuff?

Will do.
Stay tuned.

May not be until after I move to another unit within my apartment complex next month.

Latest posts