• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Disc wear and cycling—what can I expect?

^ I agree.. As long as the disc is more stable than you need, I have multiple Comets in cycle right now, not exactly OS discs but they do need some stability beat out of them.

Yeah high speed drivers get fliptastic, I don't necessarily think it's the HSS that beats out so much as the LSS beats out and it seems to reduce its HSS because it has no ability to fight backout of the turn.

I should rephrase that. I need a place to dump used discs quickly rather than setting up a ****ing mail room in my house and wasting hours a day rehoming $10 pieces of plastic like my time is worth less than a dog turd.

If you Facebook, local groups are really good about that.

Gonna need a place to sell used discs.
For me, it really wasn't doom and gloom.

I remember the first Roc I clicked with. I threw it all the time and beat the fade out of it pretty quickly so I got a new Roc to pair with it. I still threw the seasoned Roc most of the time. The new Roc stayed OS for a lot longer than the first Roc just due to me not throwing it nearly as much. Even at that, the first Roc was still in the sweet spot when the OS Roc started to lose its fade. I threw XD's, Panthers and Stingrays for a long, long time before I had a Roc beat to turnover. This was when I was in my late 20's-early 30's, unmarried and excited about disc golf so I was playing 4-5 times a week, joined two leagues, played in the weekly flight almost every weekend and DX was the only plastic Innova made.

If you play 2-3 times a week and throw Star and Champ plastics, you are not going to end up with a backlog of discs anytime soon unless your home course is built in an old rock quarry.

Most of my backlog of Champ/Star discs is my inability to adapt to the fact that I don't need to replace discs on the DX schedule anymore so I've got a stack of Star Valks I'm probably never going to need to replace the Star Valk I got at a tournament in 2011 that is still in my bag. :\

For me, it really wasn't doom and gloom.

I remember the first Roc I clicked with. I threw it all the time and beat the fade out of it pretty quickly so I got a new Roc to pair with it. I still threw the seasoned Roc most of the time. The new Roc stayed OS for a lot longer than the first Roc just due to me not throwing it nearly as much. Even at that, the first Roc was still in the sweet spot when the OS Roc started to lose its fade. I threw XD's, Panthers and Stingrays for a long, long time before I had a Roc beat to turnover. This was when I was in my late 20's-early 30's, unmarried and excited about disc golf so I was playing 4-5 times a week, joined two leagues, played in the weekly flight almost every weekend and DX was the only plastic Innova made.

If you play 2-3 times a week and throw Star and Champ plastics, you are not going to end up with a backlog of discs anytime soon unless your home course is built in an old rock quarry.

Most of my backlog of Champ/Star discs is my inability to adapt to the fact that I don't need to replace discs on the DX schedule anymore so I've got a stack of Star Valks I'm probably never going to need to replace the Star Valk I got at a tournament in 2011 that is still in my bag. :\

One of the first discs I bought was a F2nd DX Roc3. It was love at first throw, really. But it got a pretty good slash in the rim and it was almost instantly unreliable. It really depended on where that slash was in relation to my grip, but it hit the lake pretty quickly as a forehand hyzer turned over and kept going. That was the end of my DX moment, which lasted about a month.

Since then I've been buying a bunch of Star and premium stuff. But now, at the end of my first season it seems to have all turned neutral at once after having reliable fade. Straight is good, though, but its like having a bag of Makos.

I think my form is changing quickly, though. So it's hard to factor that in. Most recently I replaced a Z Zone with a Jawbreaker, which is now less reliable on the fade. So I'm obviously hard on discs and throwing a bunch of heavy woods courses.

I probably need to work in a few super OS discs and take this new Roadrunner and learn to turn it over to a roller for next season.

I'm sure as Covid resolves (I hope it resolves) I can find a local shop that will take old discs for pocket change and that will be fine.

discs and throwing a bunch of heavy woods courses.

I probably need to work in a few super OS discs and take this new Roadrunner and learn to turn it over to a roller for next season.

Just my 2 cents, but Roadrunners don't have to be roller discs. Learning to hyzerflip a Roadrunner might be the best thing you could do for your game, especially if you play lots of woods golf.

https://youtu.be/WXAbRLzzV7U

Just my 2 cents, but Roadrunners don't have to be roller discs. Learning to hyzerflip a Roadrunner might be the best thing you could do for your game, especially if you play lots of woods golf.

https://youtu.be/WXAbRLzzV7U

No doubt. I have a Star Sidewinder and a couple of Valks, and now a couple fresh Avenger SS. Each turns a little differently, but they get a ton of use.

Can't get the Sidewinder to do a roller though.

Roadrunners absolutely bomb for sub 350 players btw. Might be the longest disc i have consistently thrown

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Roadrunners absolutely bomb for sub 350 players btw. Might be the longest disc i have consistently thrown

Roadrunners I think work for a lot of people, but I can't throw a Roadrunner to save my life. My guess is that it works really well on a low line, and that's just not me. I literally can throw a Valk 1/3 farther than a Roadrunner even though the numbers say the Roadrunner should be my perfect disc. I've wasted hours and hours of my life trying to get Roadrunners to be what everyone tells me they should be, and they just are not for the way I throw.

Valks and SL's were always the two drivers in that speed 9-10 range that worked for me, Sidewinders, Roadrunners and Beasts always were on the flight chart looking like they SHOULD work for me, but they never really did. The good news is that you only need one; you just have to figure out what that one is.

Agree with this. I searched a lot of flippy 11 speed drivers and concluded that the RR is my best BH understable distance driver. I have several metal flake and color glow that hold their line better than star, which can be a little squirrelly.

I'm FH dominant so Wraith's are my workhorse for distance. Messing with a Lat 64 Grace right now and it's been a nice BH disc but the RR is still going further with the right wind.

Yup. Can be a bomber, I think it's an often overlooked mold. You do need the right roadrunner though. That's a mold with some big differences across different plastics. You could almost fill a bag with em. Or start a cycle.

I had a champion 165 one as my 2nd driver after a 150 leopard, shelved it for a while, pulled it back out and my old dog and I used to play with it at work and in the yard. As it broke in it was amazing easy distance.

Picked up a fresh one that was a stable turd, then some stars that turned more than the broken in champ. I still have a couple, I like the gstar for the winter. Got a Barsby thats pretty stable too. I always found them a very FUN disc, fairly long, I don't know if I ever got that -4 turn out of any of em except my beat star.

You can't cycle Roadrunners. Just sayin'. :|

Sure you *could*. But. Just because it's possible doesn't mean you should or that it's practical.

One disc goes straight, one right, one righter, another goes rightest

For a backhand player that could maybe be useful? Idk.

Question for the peanut gallery, which has more useful uses:

A roadrunner cycle or a Groove cycle?

Sure you *could*. But. Just because it's possible doesn't mean you should or that it's practical.

One disc goes straight, one right, one righter, another goes rightest

For a backhand player that could maybe be useful? Idk.

its innova

so horse a piece

I've actually been bagging two RR for a while, a MF that I'd rate about -2/2 and a CG at about -3/1 and I have backups for each. From my experience, -2/2 is about what a good Insanity flies like. Never thrown a Groove so give us your experience with both.

Latest posts