• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts about the weight shift during putting

Had not seen this mentioned so I thought I'd add it to the good suggestions posted. Weight shift won't do any good if it isn't all directed and lined up with the basket. I've made some strides lately making sure that everything from the back foot to the hand is in line and moving toward the chains. Very easy to get momentum going in several different directions which leads to jerky out of balance shots.

Good point. Everyone should strive for a consistent release point, so they can line their body up and know exactly which direction the disc will fly when released.

I have to agree with Northwest also. I struggled even with the push putt until I realized that I can use more spin for the longer putts as long as when I release everything finishes directed at the basket.

As far as weight shift, if I lose focus and don't use my legs and core properly I am almost always short.

So I guess I would say I use a body motion that I learned from Feldberg's putting clinic on Youtube, with more wrist action on the release that I am trying to emulate from McBeth's style.

I know that whenever I hit a good, quality, putt I am using my whole body. I finish balanced on my front foot and everything feels in sync. The ones that I barley scrape in or clang off the basket rim are the ones I'm strong arming. I do this way more than I would like. I get lazy with my technique.

Recently watched a Feldberg clinic video on YouTube about changing your rear foot position based on being either uphill or downhill (further back when downhill and closer when uphill) to compensate for the line to the basket. Used that Sunday, and it was a big help for lining up the shot because it put me back to that consistent release point so it felt very familiar to level putts to a practice basket in the yard.

I've struggled with the amount of snap to put into longer putts though, and have had varying degrees of success as a result. But what is being said here makes total sense, and just turned on a lightbulb for me. I've definitely felt the momentum that has come with putting spring from the legs up through the release in one fluid motion to where I haven't had to reply on as much wrist snap to project the disc.

Thanks for the tip! (again)
Think anyone will notice if I cut out of the office early to go practice????? ;-)

As someone who struggles with putts (and everything else), I would really like to see a video.
Cheers!

I think one thing that is not "brought up" or "singled out" with push putting is the "finger pop" and when to pop your fingers to produce the spin. Been working on this for a year and IMO if you get this timing down their is hardly any stress on the forearm. The key is timing......as it is with everything else. I'll look for a video where anyone talks about this, but usually it seems like feldy, todd and others seem to stress weight transfer, grip, arm swing........but no finger pop talk.

On a side note.......Nikko is a great putter, but not so good at explaining what exactly he is doing. I've seen a few videos where he "shows" people with very little explanation.

Last edited:
I know personally, after watching Steve Rico's putting tip video, I now make sure all the power is in my legs and I will lean in and spring with my lead leg which helps get the extra oomph I need to get to the basket.

Rico has a very unique style........more like a throw than a putt, but it goes in so.......

Right, I guess more or less I was just adding how helpful the bit about focusing your power into your legs has helped me.

I recently figured out that I was using my legs too early, and not getting much out of them. And also, my best putts feel like my belt buckle is moving right at the basket.

Latest posts