• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Three finger power grip?

ern19

I noticed some of the local "pros" threw the odd drive with the index finger above the flight plate, and the middle, ring and pinky in the rim. It seemed weird, but I tried it a few weeks ago and somehow it clicked. I have a tendency to unintentionally cock my wrist to a hyzer angle before release which has led to some hilariously bad shots. For whatever reason though, I have hit my lines a lot better since trying the new grip, and seem to put much tighter spin on the disc. Is it psychological? Or is there any physical reason this should work?

I think throwing like that would make it incredibly difficult to get a good pinch between your thumb and your grip fingers.

I throw with a 3 finger grip on distance shots (Unintentionally, my pinky comes off) and it works, but I need that pinch between my index finger and thumb to have any grip.

Op, there's this grip that a buddy of mine uses to chuck minis and it's somewhat similar to what you described except that he tucks his thumb under his index on the flight plate. You can get a good pinch doing it this way.

Bonopane Grip? This was recommended to me once as a way to throw more nose down. I've tried it, but I haven't been able to stick with it long enough to get comfortable with it.

I think throwing like that would make it incredibly difficult to get a good pinch between your thumb and your grip fingers.

I throw with a 3 finger grip on distance shots (Unintentionally, my pinky comes off) and it works, but I need that pinch between my index finger and thumb to have any grip.

I'll try anything when it comes to improvement for my BH, so I'll try moving the pinky off to the side and trying the pinch with the index and thumb. I've modeled my FH after yours, maybe I can steal your BH techique too :thmbup:

I use a 3 finger grip. It just ismore comfortable. My pinky finger just is offto the side. When I use a 4 finger grip, I tend to havemore grip lock.

I thought I saw a video of Garrett Gurthie giving instruction and he showed a three finger which he claimed that he uses for maximum distance.

I use a 3 finger grip. It just ismore comfortable. My pinky finger just is offto the side. When I use a 4 finger grip, I tend to havemore grip lock.

I thought I saw a video of Garrett Gurthie giving instruction and he showed a three finger which he claimed that he uses for maximum distance.

I'm pretty sure you guys are talking about the pinky not being under the disc while the OP referred to the index not being under the disc. Not really the same thing.

yeah I read the op and the reply that mentioned the bonapine grip and the op's post where he changed the direction of discussion to 3 finger says pinky.

but if you really want to stay on bonapine I have another anecdote. 2 years ago I got to meet David Wiggins. he uses a bonapine like grip for his throws. I have a picture of it on my computer at work. it is kinda different.

bonopane grip it basically forces you to throw really nose down. if u can use that grip and throw further than normal u have nose angle issue. its a nice tool for seeing if your nose angle is good

I'm pretty sure you guys are talking about the pinky not being under the disc while the OP referred to the index not being under the disc. Not really the same thing.

Yes, I have used the bonopane grip when I first started playing. However now I use a 3 finger power grip with pinky off on the side.

Wiggins Grip

Here is a picture of me gripping a disc in a manner demonstrated by David Wiggins Jr.

Index finger is under the disc but not in the rim, just kinda there. this is not a bonapine either.

You are correct. That is not a bonopane.
Not even close to one either. In tehe bonopane the index is on top of the disc "over" the top of the thumb.

Last edited:

Latest posts