• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw a putter to help your distance driving - worst advice of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stud Muffin

Banned
Seriously people, when someone it trying to get their drives out there, having them reduce down is always a great idea, but to a PUTTER??? Give me a break. Lets make a list shall we:

Will it help in growing familiar with the beveled edge? Nope
Will it help in growing familiar with the natural flight of drivers? Nope
Will it increase the throwing distance of a driver? Nope

What it will do is help you to throw PUTTERS really far. That's it. The OAT you find on a putter can be found on a Roc or a Teebird or a Leopard.

I understand this is a competative game, but stop giving people bad advice in throwing PUTTERS to help their driving distance. It's like telling people in ball golf to practice on the putting green, and that will help their Driver game. :thmbdown:

Last edited:
Seems to me any advice seems to be bad now...

I tell newer players to throw putters because they tend to fly the same distance as drivers.

I started throwing further Backhand once I started mixing in all putter rounds into my routine. May it have been a coincidence? I suppose, but I think there may be a connection, as in my opinion it helped me clean up my form which did translate into distance driving.

Did it help me with my Driver grip? No. Did it help me with the flight characteristics of drivers? No. Did it help me with my mechanics that matter an awful lot more than being comfortable with a driver? Yes. Anyone can be comfortable with a driver. If I throw an Orc only for years it may feel great in my hand. I may know what it will do in the air. But will it do a better job in assisting me better the mechanics of my throw? I think now, feel free to disagree.

Throwing ...anything, over a period of time will increase your arm strength, and just practicing releasing any disc will eventually lead to a better release.

But if you are wanting to get better at throwing your Orc, throw the Orc.

I understand some people have no business throwing speed 13 drivers. I firmly believe that the Leopard and the Teebird or Eagle are great discs to start, and develop your driving. Even when you throw warp 14 speed drivers later on, those fairway drivers never go out of style in helping to post lower scores.

I am not saying a putter will not show OAT, I am saying a Teebird or Leopard will too, and you will be practicing with a driver.

It's an intreasting story that makes your years played 29, then 1, then 6. Depends on the confidence that day?

Sounds like someone had trouble throwing a putter, then quit with trying and couldn't get back into masking their OAT with a super fast driver.

Does putter driving translate directly to driver driving? No. Is it close enough to where one should be able to gain around 100 feet of distance after a round or two of getting used to the nose angle and grip? Yes.

It's an intreasting story that makes your years played 29, then 1, then 6. Depends on the confidence that day?

- worst thread of all time

Really?? This is a thread? Ugh...

No_Trolls_allowed_by_hawanja.jpg

Nobody ever said throwing putters would help you get used to throwing drivers. What we do say is that throwing putters will help your technique, which will help you throw farther with all your discs. The reason you start with putters is that they show form flaws better than drivers.

Most people are held back by sticking to whats comfortable. For most, if they want their putters to go anywhere they will have to throw higher then their comfort level. They will generally have to improve their snap to speed ratio and clean some oat.

If you are truley doing everything "correctly" with a putter then whats holding your driver game back?

April Fool's already passed, bro.

/goes and reads a real thread on DGR.

Me? I'm thinking back to the am world doubles clinic where Uli threw my putter a country mile and it sounded like a jet doing a fly by.

Sm, how high are you throwing your putters? How high do you throw your drivers?

250'-280' range, depending on wind and elevation.

Of course, if I was having trouble throwing my putter, wouldn't you suggest I take my putter to a field and throw it, not say, a Firebird, right?

:\
Gee, thanks for agreeing with me while you hint I am wrong...

You really like to misunderstand what people say, don't you? :clap:

Notice key word in his post "directly" - yes, driving with putters helps driving with drivers. That doesn't mean driving with putters is exactly the same as driving with drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.