• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw that putter damn it!

Anything under 300' dead straight (unless uphill, or low ceiling) is a putter shot. I have 5 aces with putters, 3 with Star Aviars... In my opinion the Star Aviar (not the driver version) is the best driver I have in my bag (I carry two). [I don't putt with them]. People think I'm crazy when I pull it out sometimes. I'm pulling a putter, they're pulling a wraith??? I use it at least 7 times a round - with good results too. I agree; use your putter!
DSCJNKY

^^^ not true

I should have put in a caveat. Unless you have really good form you need a really stable putter to drive with it. Or perhaps, it is easier to drive with a really stable putter.

I use my Dx aviar more than anything else in my bag. i use it off the tee on short holes and is most often my choice for a second shot whether I am in putting range or not.

agree on throwing the putter. for all out there who want to listen, practice throwing putters and you will not be sorry. granted i live in arizona, which the courses are not exactly tree lined, but having a reliable putter shot is huge. i personally throw putters up to 250 ft or so. i like the star aviar for straight or turn overs. if i need a shorter hyzer shot i go to the zone. trust the line and remember being 20 ft short is the same as 20 ft left or right.

I remember Craig Leyva using Aviars for big distance tee shots. He used to be able to toss them over 500 feet.

I use a Wham-O 86 mold Softie for my putter. On my home course (Disc Creek Disc Golf Course - Amarillo, TX) I use it for a few tee shots. I've aced #15 (short) with it 4 or 5 times now, once for $500.00!

About a year ago, someone told me to use putters as much as possible inside of 100-150 ft, and they weren't kidding. Compared to throwing a roc for the same shots, I have much fewer blow 50 ft past, or fade hard to the left at the end.

My question is: do people keep separate "putting" putters and "approach/driving" putters in their bags? I putt with a KC aviar, but even in the pro plastic, it takes damage a lot faster when I am using in for approach shots. I don't like putting with all the dings and scratches on the disc, so I've considered moving that beat putter to a mid-range slot in my bag and buying a shiny new aviar for just putts and shots that have 0% chance at hitting a tree. Anyone else do this?

My question is: do people keep separate "putting" putters and "approach/driving" putters in their bags? I putt with a KC aviar, but even in the pro plastic, it takes damage a lot faster when I am using in for approach shots. I don't like putting with all the dings and scratches on the disc, so I've considered moving that beat putter to a mid-range slot in my bag and buying a shiny new Aviar for just putts and shots that have 0% chance at hitting a tree. Anyone else do this?

I carry 5 putters.
2 beat KC Aviars for putting/approach and driving with hyzer flip
A DX Aviar P&A for flippy drives with a tailwind.
A Pig for headwind putting
A new KC Aviar for light headwind, or flat approaches with slight fade

I also have had an R-Pro Aviar P&A in the bag for a couple of weeks. It doesn't get a lot of use though.

I usually throw an Aviar for straight shots 290' or less out in the open. In the woods I'm more likely to reach for a Roc (I carry 3 of those).

I carry

1 seasoned soft challenger - only for putting
1 soft challenger - breaking in for putting
1 5x jk pro aviar
1 beat dx aviar (currently not in bag)
1 star aviar driver
1 first run glo aviar

I went out for my first time this weekend with 3 friends and I kept up with them using a putter the whole time, its all I had. I bought it before we went not knowing about the different discs used in DG. When practicing I found I can throw it the length of a soccer field, goal to goal. I bought a Innova Xcaliber they day afterwards, went out to the park and now I'm having a blast. But I gotta say I picked up some serious putt'n skills my 1st day out ;)

My question is: do people keep separate "putting" putters and "approach/driving" putters in their bags? I putt with a KC aviar, but even in the pro plastic, it takes damage a lot faster when I am using in for approach shots. I don't like putting with all the dings and scratches on the disc, so I've considered moving that beat putter to a mid-range slot in my bag and buying a shiny new aviar for just putts and shots that have 0% chance at hitting a tree. Anyone else do this?
Sort of. I like to putt with a lighter putter than I like to drive or approach with, so they are sepearate discs.

I use Wizards and the most beat one I've ever had (3-4 years old) is easier to flip to flat from a hyzer and doesn't fade as much (which also makes it longer). I've never had one get understable on me. In other words, putters beat in really slow, especally when they're big beaded and made out of awesome plastic.

I'll also encourage anyone who hasn't tried pushing out putters as far as they can to do so. Heck, if it's less than 200' or so you can throw it just like a catch disc, no special driving tecniques needed. Playing catch with your putter with a buddy is a great way to see what you can do and to practice approach shots.

I sort of separate my putters. On most days now I carry a Super Soft Voodoo, Soft Wizard, 150 organic Wizard (feels medium in firmness), and a Soft Warlock. I will tee-off and approach with all of them dependent on scenario. But I only "putt" in rounds with the Voodoo now. Throwing it hard is a lot of fun too, as it holds a very straight line for me.

I didn't use a putter to drive for 20 yrs and now I know that has disserviced me over those yrs. I have recently been playing Chavez Ridge in L.A. a lot and it is pretty short but very wooded and hilly. A putter is great at this course because:
1) Putters are very accurate
2) It is easier to throw a controlled anhyzer with a putter
3) Putters stick when they land better; i.e. Less rolls down the ravine
4) If you hit chains, putters stick better

I bought a new DX Aviar with the "Oak Grove- Where It All Began" stamp on it. I specifically bought to be a driver, not for putting (only use the Blow Fly to putt)

I carry two putters, one newish and one beat. I drive and approach with whichever one fits the scenario best. I putt with whichever one happens to be in my hand. Lots of times I'll have used one for my drive or upshot, so I leave it there as my marker and putt with the other one. Really at putting speed I don't see very much difference in the two, only when I'm throwing for distance do the differences in their flight show up. The only time I really specialize and putt with one is when it is really windy. Then I use the newish one for all my putts, probably just a mental thing but it seems to help.

I actually played with a guy yesterday who was using a Star Destroyer as a putter. I was shocked to see that, and I asked him about it, and he says he hates putters and midranges. The funny thing is, he was making some killer putts with it. I would never do it, but it worked well for him. I did beat him by 3 strokes.

I actually played with a guy yesterday who was using a Star Destroyer as a putter. I was shocked to see that, and I asked him about it, and he says he hates putters and midranges. The funny thing is, he was making some killer putts with it. I would never do it, but it worked well for him. I did beat him by 3 strokes.

my friend uses a beast and does the same thing.i like how you had to inform us of your winning score:eek:

My wife uses a #4 driver to putt and does pretty well with it...the bad part is when she misses, it usually misses hard.

I just don't trust my putter outside of 60 ft or so. I guess I just haven't tried it and when I first started playing I probably didn't have the distance to try it. I think I probably do now and should try it.