• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

throwing a disc far

TEX97

new to disc golf and was wondering what the best wat to start my drives is. Right now i throw from a stand still(no run up) and throw from across the chest. I can usually throw 250'-300' no problem. I do have problems throwing it where i want to sometimes, i am wondering if maybe throwing from a stand still is causing accuacy loss or maybe from the chest. any tips would be greatly apprieciated! Thanks

good start

Being new and getting those kinds of distances is a very good sign.. you really need to work on an run up(or walk up) it allows you to have more tork and keep your eye on the fairway... the most effective is called an X-step

I wouldnt worry about distance right now, work on control, consistency and releasing flat. distance will come naturally with that

DGR has several well written articles, including by Avery and Dunipace, on their site.

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry about distance right now, work on control, consistency and releasing flat. distance will come naturally with that

This

And now would be a good time to see the Beato vids on youtube. Just search for Beato or someone could provide the link for you.

Edit: Scratch that. Oddjob got them while I was searching for them.

yeah if you can rip it out that far already you should work on contolling your line shaping and then a walk up

Sounds like your doing good. Working on accuracy and adding the X-step seems like the way to go.

Just out of curiousity, who showed you dg. Who do you play with?
I ask because your approach to the game differs from most beginners.

I watched just about every you tube disc golf video out there, and I practice what I watch a lot. It also helps to play with people who are better than you are, if you can beat the guys you play with then your not going improve as fast. There is also a ton of fantastic technique advice in the technique forum on this site. Ive gotten some invaluable advice from these guys on here, thats one reason I love this site. Good luck.;)

8 months

Here's my take. I've been playing approximately 8 months now. My biggest improvement with distance came only recently when I got comfortable with the X-Step. It keeps me lined up so that I can have better hip rotation and bring my arm straighter across my chest. As with most of us though, it's usually 'one step forward and two steps back'. Practice, practice, practice.....

I am still doing the stand still throw and it works good for me so far. When I try the run up i lose control

Don't forget to practice your putting also. If you are throwing up to 300' with some accuracy now then putting well will probably lower your scores as fast as anything else. Even if you just take 10 minutes before each round you will see results. I'm not a great putter, but I have eliminated most of my miss's inside of 20'. If you can sink all of the so-called easy putts it will give you more confidence on your approach shots also.

Here's my take. I've been playing approximately 8 months now. My biggest improvement with distance came only recently when I got comfortable with the X-Step. It keeps me lined up so that I can have better hip rotation and bring my arm straighter across my chest. As with most of us though, it's usually 'one step forward and two steps back'. Practice, practice, practice.....

I have to say I had a very similar experience with my game. I was doing fine for a while and was happy with my pathetic game but then worked an X-step into my game. When I did that and got comfortable after the initial "this X-step thing sucks!" stage I found I could constantly drive much farther than I was before and with the same basic amount of controal I was previously.

Learning the X-step and making sure your putting is worked on as well seems like the best way to go in this noob's opinion.

I've also stopped trying to look where I'm throwing during the x-step. It allows for your body to uncoil faster and more naturally. Line up the shot first, and from there I don't care if I see the target during the throw or not.

Latest posts