• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing from a standstill

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
I hear the advice "throw from a standstill" almost more than anything else.

1. Why is this, other than reducing the number of variables?

2. I think working so much from a standstill really screwed up my throw. 1 step (front side only) is doing so many things for me, I don't tell anyone to throw from a standstill anymore. I tell them all to start on their rear side and step into the throw.

-It seems like there are several things that are necessary to throw a disc well that a standstill doesn't touch at all. In particular, working around the disc. But also, I'm finding that my backswing is created by the step I take into the throw after my rear side has planted.

*** I don't know if I'm throwing better or worse with the new things I'm doing (it's really all about stepping past the disc); but it sounds more like what I've been told to do.

It is a more accurate physical motion. It has a greater accuracy potential than step throws do.

I hear the advice "throw from a standstill" almost more than anything else.

1. Why is this, other than reducing the number of variables?

2. I think working so much from a standstill really screwed up my throw. 1 step (front side only) is doing so many things for me, I don't tell anyone to throw from a standstill anymore. I tell them all to start on their rear side and step into the throw.

-It seems like there are several things that are necessary to throw a disc well that a standstill doesn't touch at all. In particular, working around the disc. But also, I'm finding that my backswing is created by the step I take into the throw after my rear side has planted.

*** I don't know if I'm throwing better or worse with the new things I'm doing (it's really all about stepping past the disc); but it sounds more like what I've been told to do.

Standstill doesn't mean no weight transfer. A 1-step is basically the same as standstill, it just forces you to shift your weight back to front, since your front isn't in contact with the ground at the beginning of your throw.

It is a more accurate physical motion. It has a greater accuracy potential than step throws do.

That has not been my experience. I know it should be (less moving parts), but when I do a standstill, everything seems like it has to be perfect before I throw, or it's not going anywhere good. When I step into it, I just need to feel like I'm stepping toward my target; something good usually happens.

This is even my experience putting. I can't control my distance, so I don't do it competitively, but I'm far more accurate when I step to my target, and I release more cleanly also.

*I suppose "potential" makes your statement absolutely correct, but I'm not sure that's pertinent to the conversation at hand (using it as a training tool).

That has not been my experience. I know it should be (less moving parts), but when I do a standstill, everything seems like it has to be perfect before I throw, or it's not going anywhere good. When I step into it, I just need to feel like I'm stepping toward my target; something good usually happens.

This is even my experience putting. I can't control my distance, so I don't do it competitively, but I'm far more accurate when I step to my target, and I release more cleanly also.

I am with you. I don't really like the feel of a standstill either. It makes me think too hard about what I am doing. When I add a step my muscle memory takes over and I just do what I want to do.

I have seen people who primarily throw from a standstill, and what I have noticed is that they are very aware of the motions they are making, but its also very fluid and it is easy to watch their shift in weight, with a nice fluid follow through. Someone who does it well is fun to watch.

Individual abilities do not necessarily prove or disprove something, it may just be an indication of needing practice :)

Watch the fourth drive in this video. Weight transfer is obvious, though I'm flicking from a standstill.

I throw from a standstill because of knee problems but it has enabled me to really dial in my form. My focus for the first year of standstill was able to be solely on fundamentals because I eliminated some big moving parts. As a result I am able to be competitive with both distance and accuracy in the Open division (sortve) even without the run-up.

A standstill throw is just the very end of a full throw. It's not a separate technique. The point of starting from a standstill is to make sure that part is correct. It forces you to shift your weight correctly. With a full x-step you can throw weight back but still follow through because you have inertia. With a stand still throw you have to throw weight forward or else it won't really work. Plus, you then have a great way to power down and a lot more options for shots pop up.

FWIW, I find it's easiest to start with one step to help you get the weight shift started. Once you get the feel for what that shift feels like and where your weight should be at the hit you can do it from a standstill much easier.

A standstill throw is just the very end of a full throw. It's not a separate technique. The point of starting from a standstill is to make sure that part is correct. It forces you to shift your weight correctly. With a full x-step you can throw weight back but still follow through because you have inertia. With a stand still throw you have to throw weight forward or else it won't really work. Plus, you then have a great way to power down and a lot more options for shots pop up.

FWIW, I find it's easiest to start with one step to help you get the weight shift started. Once you get the feel for what that shift feels like and where your weight should be at the hit you can do it from a standstill much easier.

yup, since I've worked on standstill throws, my upshots have gained WAY more accuracy, and i wasn't even focused on them. It was a by product of working on standstill purely for longer distance throws. But better technique across the board makes more accuracy across the board too.

Around these parts you may not have the luxury of a 5x12 concrete pad to tee off of and the fairways often really rough terrain. Having a strong standstill or one-step throw enables you to walk up to these tees or lies with confidence.

I know most areas have better tees than the courses I frequent, but I know that sh*tty lies and poor footing are universal!

I guess that's what I'm saying; a one step is easier to do right, thus it's a better training tool.

as a RHFH thrower, I prefer the accuracy and control that i get from a standstill throw. if i do a run up i tend to step slightly to the left at times and throw wildly to the left of my mark. i'm good for about 300', give or take, from a standstill

Individual abilities do not necessarily prove or disprove something, it may just be an indication of needing practice :)

Watch the fourth drive in this video. Weight transfer is obvious, though I'm flicking from a standstill.

At the same time, you having a weight shift from a standstill doesn't prove that a standstill teaches a weight shift better than a drop step. It may just be an indication of natural ability :)

I'm not sure what I'm doing now is right, but it feels more right; and it feels like it'd be rough trying to do it with both feet planted.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it, but I know a few people ask "how do I work my body around the disc from a standstill?"

Last edited:
From a standstill one must learn how to use a proper backswing which is part of weight shift. In order to get the proper backswing though one must have a proper hit point/address. Also lifting the front heel in the backswing like Ben Hogan and many golfers is sufficient weight shift.

When one is using an x-step working around the disc, it's still just a backswing but the disc doesn't really move back because you are moving forward. Most poor throwers have no semblance of a backswing or a hit point. Working around the disc will often demonstrate to that thrower how far their positioning and timing are off though.

I guess that's what I'm saying; a one step is easier to do right, thus it's a better training tool.
Yeah, but the one step helps you learn the stationary shot, which is also pretty useful and helpful. It just might not be the absolute first thing you get right.

Stand and deliver!

I throw basically everything but drives from a standstill...and even short drivers (especially with a putter) are generally from a standstill as well. I'm way more accurate that way (as MikeC said...of course he's right again.)

I cut out my x-step and threw an entire round from a standstill. End result was significant distance improvement and accuracy. Had my best round ever. Cutting out the run-up/x-step made it possible to work on not rounding out my throw and actually feeling the hit point.

Significant distance increase was about fifty feet on drivers and about twenty feet on mids and putters. As I was walking past where my drives usually land I was thinking I may never x-step again. :D

edit: Didn't want to start a thread and this was exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:
I am teaching my 8 year old daughter to play and the way I have her starting is by stepping into her shot. However, I am trying to show her that the step is merely a method of transferring weight, which is also doable without stepping.

So basically the step shot is more of a training method to gain a weight shift, and once you learn the weight shift, you probably won't need it.

Latest posts