• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Timing/ out of sync

caleb1989

Does anyone ever have days where you just feel out of sync all your drives just feel really awkward and thus lose a lot of distance? Once in awhile I have days like this and it's very frustrating I don't know if anything in particular causes it or if it's just one of those things. does anyone else of similar experiences at times?

Used to happen to me nearly all the time. On good days the first handful of drives would be perfect and what I expect. On usual days it could take 10-30 throws before I felt one work, and then I could repeat for the rest of the day. On bad days I would just deal with the distance loss.

For me, I just had to keep adjusting things. If you aren't throwing as far, there's a reason. It's not strength. You are doing something wrong compared to your normal, and you are crazy if you think throwing that way over and over again will add anything. You just have to adjust one little thing at a time until it clicks. And remember what it was that you adjusted so that next time, maybe it is the same thing.

Usually it's not though, I had to adjust a multitude of things often until I could get a drive or two that works, and then repeat it. It can be very frustrating.

Also, when you're trying to get it sorted out, don't focus on distance. That will make you throw harder and more improperly. Focus on if the disc flies right or comes out fast. If you are mad about not throwing as far as you think you should, you're going to keep adding in more strength and throw worse.

Yeah I need to figure out what changed because after a lot of practice I started to somewhat consistently hit distances of 360' or more usally 5/10 throws in the field, but that only lasted about a week, for that week I would go out everyday practicing, but now the last few times ive gone out I've lost on average about 30' or 40' I can only get 1 or 2 out of 20 to go 360 or more and it just feels out of sync, I think it is a possibility that I over did it, because it doesn't make since that after throwing 200 drives that all of sudden I would start doing something different without realizing it, but it's possible I guess I just have to go out in the field and hopefully figure it out. I was getting pretty worked up yesterday so that's very good advise Ill try to focus more on technique and less on distance

I had a point that was exactly as you explained. When I first played I was ok, just your average beginner. Then I watched a "More distance now video" and could suddenly easily throw 300'. Then winter struck. RIP distance, accuracy, confidence. After joining this forum and then visiting the Video Critique section my form is much better and will probably stick better this winter.

I would recommend posting a video in the Critique/Form analysis section and readjusting your form. The embarrassment and frustration is unbearable at first but fight through as it helps your form to stick longer.

The issue you describe is one I encounter if I find I am thinking too much about the drive. Usually happens when I neglect to warm up beforehand. Since I am thinking too much about the distance, how it looks, the things I can do without thinking become much more difficult. I am getting in my own way, by throwing too hard, missing the line I HAVE to hit, not throwing as far as others, etc..

What works for me is some time just throwing at a target. No thought of birdie or bogie, just throwing from 250-300' or so at an open field basket. This is usually a good practice distance, and with no round stress to think of, it allows me to clear my mind because I know I can throw that distance. Once my confidence is restored, the round is much easier to play.

Latest posts