• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for my wife

Going to play the little pitch and putt with her after work. I always let her play hole 11 as a par 4. She's come close to getting the three several times but usually takes a four.

ce1aa895ee98697635dc6129790b315a.jpg

How about doubles? Not doubles leagues or tourneys or whatever. Just playing doubles when you guys play casual together.

I was a 210'ish average bowler growing up. I had a girlfriend that loved bowling, but didn't like me doubling her score. So we'd play 4 games of doubles instead of 2 single games each. She had bowled for years and was like a 100-110 bowler and then she turned into a 150-160 average bowler in a few months.

I suggest you find another couple to play with. Someone comparable and play doubles (best throw).

Best throw takes most of the pressure off and let's the player really enjoy their successes and not feel too bad about the flops.

For shame, DGCR....

Page two of a thread entitled "Tips for my Wife" and not one single penis joke?! :eek: :eek:

For shame. :| :|

[insert 'tips for my wife' joke here] :D ;)

While I've been playing for about five years now, my wife just started playing about three months ago.

For three months in, I think she plays quite well. She putts pretty solid but sometimes she's just a little off and it frustrates her. I would say her max distance is about 260 but she has some inconsistencies off the tee and an average drive is probably around 225 or so. For reference, she is 53, not very athletic these days, and has some knee issues.

Anyhow, I really try and keep her on easier courses with shorter holes to boost her confidence as she develops her game.

Lately she seems to be getting frustrated with her game and I don't want her to give up as she goes all in with everything she does and in her mind she should be much better by now and throwing farther than she does.

I think some of her recent frustration comes from the fact that she mostly plays with me and sometimes with the guys that I normally play with. I think we are all 850-960 rated and have all been playing for 5+ years and are all men.

I want to keep her interested and having fun. I always encourage her and congratulate her on good shots and try to help her with disc and shot selection when she doesn't know what to do.

Sorry for the long post but I'm looking for ideas to keep the game fun for her until she gets her game dialed in and consistent. Bad days and bad rounds have never discouraged me but sometimes it gets to her and I don't want to see her give up on it.

That couples double idea is pretty awesome. But yeah, I would probably get frustrated only playing with people who are WAY better than me. I'm on the bottom end of my league and its nice to occasionally play with some on or below my level.
Maybe playing league? Especially leagues that have handicaps and and end of year Hi-Lo Dubs and have a way of encouraging less skilled players.

And different courses seem to have different personalities. My league course I think I've seen one girl play. About a month ago, I dropped in a different league and saw 4 or 5 out there playing.

Good luck! Hopefully she doesn't get discouraged!

How about doubles? Not doubles leagues or tourneys or whatever. Just playing doubles when you guys play casual together.

I was a 210'ish average bowler growing up. I had a girlfriend that loved bowling, but didn't like me doubling her score. So we'd play 4 games of doubles instead of 2 single games each. She had bowled for years and was like a 100-110 bowler and then she turned into a 150-160 average bowler in a few months.

I suggest you find another couple to play with. Someone comparable and play doubles (best throw).

Best throw takes most of the pressure off and let's the player really enjoy their successes and not feel too bad about the flops.

I am lucky, my wife has been playing with me for over 2 decades. She is not great, she is not competitive, she does not want coaching. She wants a nice walk and the ability to enjoy the game on her own terms. She has gotten pretty good, but she sometimes just puts the discs away and walks along. Sometimes the trees, flowers, mushrooms, birds ....are a better time for her. I am just happy to have her along.

I suggest letting her make the decisions on what she wants out of the game. The above would not work with my wife.

Well, we played the little course by the house. I decided to go forehand only (which I'm bad at) and she easily out scored me on the front nine. After a -4 start on the first five holes she was feeling pretty good and having a good time. We didn't keep track of the score for the whole round but I think she only bogied a couple of holes.

Hopefully she can take some confidence from a good round and have another good round the next time we play.

The course she was struggling with our last time out isn't a difficult course but it definitely requires more technical shots. After last night's round she wants to go tackle the course where she really struggled.

For shame, DGCR....

Page two of a thread entitled "Tips for my Wife" and not one single penis joke?! :eek: :eek:

Considered it. I'm on double secret probation so chose not too.

Apparently Sam Kennison is not well appreciated here.

For shame, DGCR....

I came very close a few times. It was hard to contain myself, but I was able to abstain.

My wife has shown little to no interest. I work on-call a lot so I'm only at work like a week a month and we homeschool the kids so if anything having separate hobbies (karate for her) is an essential break for us.

But the dubs and the women's league ideas might work, our club did a women's league this summer and I noticed that on regular league nights the ladies had more fun and more confidence after playing together in women's league all summer.

Well, we played the little course by the house. I decided to go forehand only (which I'm bad at) and she easily out scored me on the front nine. After a -4 start on the first five holes she was feeling pretty good and having a good time. We didn't keep track of the score for the whole round but I think she only bogied a couple of holes.

Hopefully she can take some confidence from a good round and have another good round the next time we play.

The course she was struggling with our last time out isn't a difficult course but it definitely requires more technical shots. After last night's round she wants to go tackle the course where she really struggled.

A lot of times my wife and I don't keep score at all, just counting the birdies. We seem to have enough fun. Except at Taylor Mountain. That wasn't any fun at all.

A lot of times my wife and I don't keep score at all, just counting the birdies. We seem to have enough fun. Except at Taylor Mountain. That wasn't any fun at all.

Stableford Scoring has the same effect. Plus, it's "legitimate", so will not be taken as just a made-up way to baby someone. Stableford Scoring is actually more accurate at measuring skill than counting all those extra throws in really high scores.

She can still get the one extra parlecule per hole, too.

Latest posts