• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To 888 or not to 888.......

You should look up the rules to make sure you know them before you post.

Section 3.3 B (13) of the Competition Manual which is "deliberately seeking to manipulate ones player rating through intentional misplay or withdrawal".

I'm not defending bailing without notifying the TD but it has nothing to do with what the 888 rule is supposed to address.

Perhaps you should read up before accusing others of not reading.

Ratings Manipulation Addressed
:
Although not directly related to ratings manipulation, the 888 code can also be applied to players who DNF without giving the TD sufficient notice they would not be showing up for the next round. "Sufficient notice" is defined as at least 15 minutes prior to tee off assignment time. Players who DNF without such notice will be reported as an 888 code by the TD.

What's the players current rating? Personally I wouldn't care if a td 999 or 888 me even if I had a reason but I guess I'm in the rare breed that doesn't give a damn about ratings.

Last edited:
I got my quote directly from the competition manual where did you get yours?
Quoting a misrepresentation of the rules from a different thread doesn't make it a rule.

Did you even check his link? It goes directly to the PDGA website :wall:

I got my quote directly from the competition manual where did you get yours?
Quoting a misrepresentation of the rules from a different thread doesn't make it a rule.
You accused me of not reading up before posting, and now you apparently didn't even click the link I posted? Geez. My quote isn't a misrepresentation from a thread, it's a quote from an article at PDGA.com written by the PDGA Tour Manager.

If that's not good enough, how about checking out the current version of the PDGA TD Report. On the Instructions tab of the spreadsheet, there is this line printed in red so that it jumps out at the reader:
For 2013 a new code 888 has been added for TDs to indicate when a player has been confirmed to have been manipulating their score or did not complete the round to protect their rating.
In addition, enter 888 when a player does not play their next round and did not notify the TD in advance.

Are we done here?

Are we done here?
I THOUGHT we were.........

I'll be talking with said player tomorrow at league and making my decision then.

He didn't speak to me personally about not playing the 2nd round but I did get word from others in plenty of time to adjust the cards. No problem there, IMO.

The only thing left to do is determine whether or not he bailed to save his rating

Was he playing poorly and pulled out due to "injury"? If they quit to protect their rating then its an 888. Seems simple enough to me. If not then 999.

So I can get a 999 for not finishing because I'm injured? So I could quit every tourney, tell the TD I'm hurt, & my rating would skyrocket! What am I missing? I'm assuming there's something I'm not taking into account

So I can get a 999 for not finishing because I'm injured? So I could quit every tourney, tell the TD I'm hurt, & my rating would skyrocket! What am I missing? I'm assuming there's something I'm not taking into account

Your rating wouldn't move at all because you'd never have new rounds added to it.

So if the round doesn't get added what is the 999 for? And yes these are honest questions! I knew about getting a 888 if you quit but never heard of getting a 999. If it doesn't count why get anything?

It's a score code, not a rating assignment.

You're not getting a 999 rating for a DNF, you're essentially getting a score of 999 for that round with no rating.

So you can be 888'd for not showing up for a round?
I thought it was only for ratings manipulation, not showing doesn't affecting your rating like bailing in the middle of a round.

Look at bottom of Advance and Advance Masters
http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/100319

As posted a couple times in this thread, here's the PDGA's explanation:

Although not directly related to ratings manipulation, the 888 code can also be applied to players who DNF without giving the TD sufficient notice they would not be showing up for the next round. "Sufficient notice" is defined as at least 15 minutes prior to tee off assignment time. Players who DNF without such notice will be reported as an 888 code by the TD.

If you don't bother to tell the TD you're not showing up the next round, you get an 888 for causing extra work and hassle.

not that tough to say "Hey, I'm not playing next round, sorry." Nothing worse than waiting at the tee for your 3rd player in your group, only to find he isn't showing, and you have to be reordered into another group after the start of a round. That's BS and rude

If you don't tell your cardmates why you are leaving " My wife is in labor, gotta go. My son got injured, gotta go." ANYTHING, then why should you get the 999? You are quitting without giving the TD notice, so you get an 888. Common courtesy isn't that tough.

Last edited:
As posted a couple times in this thread, here's the PDGA's explanation:
If you don't bother to tell the TD you're not showing up the next round, you get an 888 for causing extra work and hassle.

stupid....its really not a hassle imo. but whatever, its the pDGA so its to be expected that they would spend their time on something like this....

As a TD, I'd disagree. Players not showing up is a pain in the rear and can slow down an event.

We were running an A-tier at Lemon Lake and one guy not showing in the round slowed things down enough for one division, that it wasn't done before the next division was supposed to play that course.

stupid....its really not a hassle imo. but whatever, its the pDGA so its to be expected that they would spend their time on something like this....

So you have TD'd events where players no showed?
You've had guys in threesomes that had a no-show call you as a round is starting asking what to do? And if they wait until a minute or two after the round has started, they have to run and catch up to the card in front and the other has to try and get with the card behind.

It is incredibly frustrating when this happens.

I'm all for 888'ing no-shows. In fact, I've already dropped that hammer a few times.