• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toboggan 2020 – Course availability

BogeyNoMore

* Ace No More *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
For anyone considering a trip to play the epic Kensington Toboggan course:
From the USADGC Website:
WE ANTICIPATE THE COURSE TO BE READY FOR PLAY ON TUESDAY, June 2, 2020!
This is based on installing the course AFTER Memorial Day and weather permitting.

Course will be closed to casual play for the following events. They're the reason the course exists, and the two events basically bookend its availability. Baskets are pulled following DGLO.
Fri-Sun, June 5-7, 2020: USADGC
Fri-Sun, July 24-26, 2020: DGPT - Discraft Great Lakes Open (MPO & FPO)

By my count, that leaves about 49 days available for casual play. The Thursday prior to each event is typically reserved for registered players to practice. My experience has been that you can play those two days, but will be asked to leave if you become a nuisance or interfere with registered players trying to practice.

Park Entry fee for Kensington: $10 per vehicle per day ; Annual Window Sticker = $40

Other area courses I'd recommend:
Same park:
Kensington Black Locust - Blue
Kensington Black Locust - Green
Both Black Locust courses will be open during USADGC ; closed Juy25-26 for DGLO (Ams and age protected divisions).

Nearby
The Lyon's Den 6 miles ; donation recommended
Cass Benton Hills; 17 miles ; absolutely free

Hudson Mills Metro Park; approx 27 miles away ; uses same park pass as Kensington
Hudson Mills Metropark - Original
Hudson Mills Metropark - Monster

Stony Creek Metro Park; approx 60 miles away ; uses same park pass as Kensington
Stony Creek - Buckhorn North
Stony Creek - Buckhorn South

Washtenaw County Parks (different park pass than Metro Parks):
$10 per car per day ; can use same day pass for Indy Lake + Rolling Hills.
Independence Lake County Park - Red Hawk Original 20 miles
Independence Lake County Park - Red Hawk X
Rolling Hills County Park - Main 40 Miles

Except for Lyon's Den and Cass Benton, all the courses have a $3/day DG Greens fee (on top of the per car entry fee).
Distances are approx. mileage from Kensington.

Suggest you check DG Scene for events at any courses you plan to hit.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Well done, take your stinkin' NICE already.

Just got an e-mail from the PDGA indicating:PDGA Major and National Tour Events Postponed Through July 31

Events that are impacted include:
PDGA United States Amateur Disc Golf Championship - Milford, Michigan (June 5-7)Canceled;
will run in 2021

Additional comment from the TD on DG Scene today:
There will be more to say in the coming days but for now please know due to today's PDGA announcement I will begin issuing everyone a full refund. Please be patient during this process. There are 160 plus refunds to process so it may take more than 10 minutes, lol.

I haven't seen anything update regarding DGPT - Discraft Great Lakes Open (MPO & FPO).
Neither DG Scene, nor the PDGA's listing for this event have been updated, but it was scheduled prior to July 31.

I have no idea if the DGLO Pro Tour event event will be:
...held as scheduled.
...postponed.
...cancelled.

Note: These events have different TD's (for the first time in several years)... so it's quite possible the events are being handled differently. But with USADGC being cancelled, I can't imagine Toboggan will be available for casual play this year.

This was my first invite to USADGC. Not sure how exclusive that sounds, but I was excited to go. My hope is that the invite will hold true for next year instead.

Toboggan is officially open for casual play.

No casual play during Discraft Great Lakes Open. Check DG Scene or PDGA website for possible date changes.

I didn't realize the course was open for that long. Isn't it usually only open for a short period? I really need to get to Michigan again. Maybe next year.

Toboggan is officially open for casual play.

No casual play during Discraft Great Lakes Open. Check DG Scene or PDGA website for possible date changes.
Like physically has baskets in place and park is fully open? Was hoping to go next month for it but had been close to giving up on it.

I just played the course myself earlier today. Baskets, fly pads... it's 100% complete. The park did some more cutting back to inhibit invasive growth. #'s 2, 4, 7, 9, 15, and maybe 17 seem more forgiving, particularly 9.

I didn't realize the course was open for that long. Isn't it usually only open for a short period? I really need to get to Michigan again. Maybe next year.
They usually don't install the baskets until after Memorial Day. I don't recall it being in this early before, and I'm kind of surprised myself. I can't say how long it'll be up, but my assumption is that they're going to leave them in and try to play DGLO pros there.

I thought they officially cancelled USADGC, but I suggest you check discgolfscene and or PDGA to double-check.

Last edited:
The road trip is revived!

Hoping to get in at least 6 courses in MI. Knock out a few more top 20 destinations. :)

Allow a good 3- 4 hrs to play Toboggan. There's no zipping through it. The hills are real and you're walking up and down pretty much the entire 18 holes and it's a lot of walking. #16 is the only hole that basically plays flat. Lots of players use carts for anyone wondering.

Allow a good 3- 4 hrs to play Toboggan. There's no zipping through it. The hills are real and you're walking up and down pretty much the entire 18 holes and it's a lot of walking. #16 is the only hole that basically plays flat. Lots of players use carts for anyone wondering.
Good advice methinks. The big downhills are one reason we are looking forward to it. But of course what goes down, must come up. I play in WV and E KY, so used to hills, just not of that length I think.

Toboggan 2022 Update

2022 Toboggan availability
Baskets were just installed, and course is freshly mowed. Course will be closed to casual play for the following events:

Thu, Jun 9 - Sun, Jun 12th: USADGC

Thu Jun 28 - Sun Jul 31st: DGPT DGLO

Thu, Sep 29- Sun, Oct 2: Oakland County Championship.

I have it on very good authority that course will be open from Jun 13 - Jul 27, and again from Oct 3rd - 31st.

Honestly don't know if baskets will remain in the ground for Aug or Sep (i.e between DGLO and Oakland county Championship).

If your thinking about taking a road trip to play this epic course, I highly recommend Oct. It's simply much more enjoyable when the sun doesn't join the course in kicking your @$$.

Pretty sure the park charges $5/person to play Toboggan.

Same park:

Nearby

Hudson Mills Metro Park; approx 27 miles away ; uses same park pass as Kensington

Stony Creek Metro Park; approx 60 miles away ; uses same park pass as Kensington

Independence Lake County Park - Red Hawk West 20 miles
Independence Lake County Park - Red Hawk East

Except for Lyon's Den and Cass Benton, all the courses have a $3/player/day DG Greens fee (on top of the per car entry fee).

Last edited:
Note: Hudson Mills will be closed during DGLO (amateur divisions will be playing Hudson Mills for this event).

Major hole re-designs on #'s 9, 10, & 11:

#9: Same, but plays straight ahead, (instead of big RHBH hyzer over the trees). Takes the luck/plinko tree crash factor out of #9. Supposed to be moved farther back for DGLO.

#10 & #11 are completely new. New tees, new pin location, fairways.

10 will likely provide more balanced scoring distribution.

11 seems like a better hole, too. It now plays downhill (used to play flat to uphill). Takes that lousy trench near the basket out of play.

FWIW- I like the changes.

Note: Hudson Mills will be closed during DGLO (amateur divisions will be playing Hudson Mills for this event).

Note....Both Independence Lakes courses, both Hudson Mills courses, both Kensington courses will be closed during DGLO. Thank you DGLO....especially for all you give back to our local disc golf community. :sick:.......:mad:

2022 Toboggan availability
Baskets were just installed, and course is freshly mowed. Course will be closed to casual play for the following events:

Thu, Jun 9 - Sun, Jun 12th: USADGC

Thu Jun 28 - Sun Jul 31st: DGPT DGLO

Thu, Sep 29- Sun, Oct 2: Oakland County Championship.

I have it on very good authority that course will be open from Jun 13 - Jul 27, and again from Oct 3rd - 31st.

Honestly don't know if baskets will remain in the ground for Aug or Sep (i.e between DGLO and Oakland county Championship).

If your thinking about taking a road trip to play this epic course, I highly recommend Oct. It's simply much more enjoyable when the sun doesn't join the course in kicking your @$$.

Pretty sure the park charges $5/person to play Toboggan.

Same park:

Nearby

Independence Lake County Park - Red Hawk West 20 miles
Independence Lake County Park - Red Hawk East

Except for Lyon's Den and Cass Benton, all the courses have a $3/player/day DG Greens fee (on top of the per car entry fee).

Great stuff, Bogey. I encourage travelers to familiarized themselves with poison ivy and to be dilligent with tick checks post round. Both seem to have bumper crops starting.

Latest posts