• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toe to heel or foot to heel

Thediscgolferguy

Par Member
When throwing backhand I usually land flat footed, I'd say most of my weight is on my front part of my right foot and then I rotate on heel. Seeing videos of pro's it seems like some land more aggressively on the toe, then shifting on the heel, while others land more flat footed as I do. (at least from what I can recall)

Now, If I do try to land toes first I usually start rotating before I get all my weight on the heel and it messes up my form - so I'm wondering if there is any downside on landing more flat-footed, or if a more pronounced toe to heel is better?

2 different ways to stride and land. Not sure either has better advantage overall, or maybe for certain types of anatomy.

1. Inside-out - typically more flat footed or even heel first like Simon/Hammes / Elephant Walk.

2. Outside-in / Straight - typically more toe first like Eagle/GG/PP/KJUSA / Kick the Can/Crush the Can

I will throw this little bit in there on the toe to heel thing.

If you're trying to incorporate it into your swing, you need to shorten your plant step. The toe has to hit earlier to get the heel down into the distance of the plant. vs a flat plant, which they still are planting on their toe, its just... very subtle.

I cannot really see any difference overall either. The best distance throwers do both. so..

Thank you guys! I'm questioning if it could be better to do the toe to heel for some timing purposes. For example some players start engaging the left arm as the toe hits the ground and doing this compared to when the foot plants flat might help create a better image of when starting the left arm in and helping with more lag perhaps?

Thank you guys! I'm questioning if it could be better to do the toe to heel for some timing purposes. For example some players start engaging the left arm as the toe hits the ground and doing this compared to when the foot plants flat might help create a better image of when starting the left arm in and helping with more lag perhaps?

As I've slowed my run up and shortened my x-step I've been able to add the "crush the can" toe to heel, which I do believe is helping me with timing. It's all been within the context of trying to keep my hips more closed. Pushing my heel out in front a little, at the least the feel of it, makes hips and lag follow more naturally.

I personally feel that toe first helps engage the hips for you driving the swing.

The heel drop will engage the hips causing the body to follow.