• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournaments: Rainy Weather? Avg. Time?

Being that I live in the land of the rain, I recommend if you have time buying one of those short sleeve golf jackets that are water proof. I bought one and have never looked back. Include everything else from above but you can find one of those jackets for about $40.00 and they are amazing! The water just beads up and falls off and is very light. Good luck!

Almost forgot one that's always been a big help to me. If the course has concrete boxes that aren't textured well, or get slick in the rain/mud anyway, you can always lay one of your towels down in the spot where your plant foot will land to give you some extra grip. Perfectly legal, and helps if you have problems slipping on the box.

Almost forgot one that's always been a big help to me. If the course has concrete boxes that aren't textured well, or get slick in the rain/mud anyway, you can always lay one of your towels down in the spot where your plant foot will land to give you some extra grip. Perfectly legal, and helps if you have problems slipping on the box.

Clever tip! :cool:

Best to use old towel for it. :rolleyes:

When it rains I have a good reason to grab all my DX Discs. They offer the best grip so you can't go wrong there. Wearing a Windbreaker is good too because you can stay dry and still move pretty freely. I also bring a towel and lay it on the seat so I don't get my seat all soaked.

When it comes to towels I prefer the Polyester material. They pick up the water the best. I also bring a Baggie for my towel; so at the end of a round I can just stick the muddy thing in my bag with no worries of getting it dirty.

Get waterproof socks! It dries fast.

It will save you the troubles of feeling *swish* *swish* when you are walking with wet cotton socks all day.
I played this past weekend in a slow drizzle & it had rained a few days before & also each night. I wore my "seal skinz" waterproof socks & had no trouble all weekend sloshing through all the wet grass.

Love my SealSkinz in the rainy winter. Can't stand sloshing around in soggy socks.

ERic

Preparation for wet conditions?

I'm playing in a tournament this weekend in Crowley, TX. The tournie is on Saturday and Sunday. We are supposed to get a lot of rain Thursday night and Friday morning, so I'm thinking that the course will still be very wet especially on Saturday.
Does anyone have good pointers/advice on how to handle wet, muddy conditions. Some of the holes will be on concrete tees, but the the tees at this course are pretty slick when wet. Some of the tees are just dirt, so Saturday they'll probably be mainly mud.
I have limited tournament experience and have yet to play any in wet conditions, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Theres a thread thats already covered this a week or 2 ago. Pretty much bring an extra towel in a plastic bag incase your towel gets soaked and muddy. Waterproof socks are nice too. I just have a pair of wool liners then nice fat wool socks over them and my feet never get wet unless I step in a huge puddle.

Theres a thread thats already covered this a week or 2 ago. Pretty much bring an extra towel in a plastic bag incase your towel gets soaked and muddy. Waterproof socks are nice too. I just have a pair of wool liners then nice fat wool socks over them and my feet never get wet unless I step in a huge puddle.

I guess I'm mainly curious about whether or not it is advisable to wear different shoes for slick conditions and how to handle your footwork on slick tee pads and in mud. I don't remember reading any of that in the past thread. The past thread had mainly pointers for handling rain, not after rain wet conditions. I'm not worried about my discs being wet as it should not be raining during the actual tournie.

Here's what I got from the past thread: plastic bag for towel, water proof socks, cleats, dx plastic throws good even when wet, wear waterproof pants, and bring a chair to rest your bag on.
Anyone have experience playing in cleats? What is your take on playing in cleats? I usually wear water proof ankle high hiking shoes, do you think those will be as good as anything else as far as footwear?

O word, Yea I'm not too sure about wearing cleats, I never have for discing. Ankle High hiking shoes probably should do the trick, but I assume someone here has more knowledge on footwear. I just use old skateboarding shoes, but I never have played in conditions that I have had problems with traction.

one of the local courses i play at stays wet for a long time after a good rain. and with the spring thaw it is downright muddy in most areas.

i don't ever really try and play durring rainy conditions but i'm often there after a rain. typically i wear a pair of hiking shoes with good tread and i tame down my cross step a bit and i haven't slipped in the mud yet. i have a towel to wipe off the discs with if they get mud or dirt on them and if the bag gets dirty i just toss it in the laundry. but back to the issue of traction. i personally don't like cleats. i just test the surface and approach as needed.

cleats are good for natural tee pads but not on cement..if i am having problems slipping on cement, i lay a towel on the pad where my plant foot will end up..i tend to shorten or slow down my run up on muddy pads for better accuracy and traction..

i used to wear football cleats until they got too hard on my knees- never had a problem on concrete tees with them. baseball cleats on the other hand are too hard to work on concrete tees.

on dirt tees take full advantage of the fact that you can go up to 3 meters back from the front- take the time to find the best spot you can in that area- sacrificing ten feet in distance for good footing is a no-brainer imo. i am constantly amazed how many players fail to take advantage of this under poor tee conditions because they feel they must be at the front of the tee area.

once years ago in an icy doubles tourney my partner and i carried around a piece of indoor/outdooor carpet and laid it over the whole tee area. damn was it heavy by the end of the day.

once years ago in an icy doubles tourney my partner and i carried around a piece of indoor/outdooor carpet and laid it over the whole tee area. damn was it heavy by the end of the day.

So I guess that there aren't any PDGA rules keeping you from laying a towel or carpet square down on the teepad? That sounds like a great tip! I can definitely use that on the slick tee pads. A beach towel or two ought to do the trick.

they have declared it ok in one of the rules q and a's or another. biggest question becomes- do you let the other guys in your group use it too?

depends on if they are in my bracket or not...if they are then no! haha...its there own fault for not bringing a towel to lay on the teepad! Although im sure you would be called an A$$hole for not letting them use it but your trying to win right? lol

Latest posts