• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournaments: Rainy Weather? Avg. Time?

If the towel/carpet is heavy enough, then recruit the other players to carry it for you. If they want to use it, too, then then can help lug it around.

once years ago in an icy doubles tourney my partner and i carried around a piece of indoor/outdooor carpet and laid it over the whole tee area. damn was it heavy by the end of the day.
Did you remove it for the other team? =)

If I know the course is going to be muddy, I bring a change of clothes and extra shoes and socks. You just never know. Also, a chair is a must. I found a fold up hunting and camping chair that weighs almost nothing for only $10

Impressed

I must say that I am very impressed with your (guys that have responded to this thread) dedication to the sport. In comparison to the lengths many of your are going to in order to play I am a "fair weather" player. I did manage to get out when it was a little chilly this winter and have played in the mud but not the monsoon conditions you guys are talking about. Just remember Caddyshack and watch for lightning. ;)

Another vote for hiking boots. If water/mud is going to be a problem, the TD should offer relief in the affected areas. The TD should examine the course before the player's meeting, determine where relief will be offered and announce this information during the meeting. Player safety should be the the most important consideration in adverse conditions.

When your disc gets really muddy, find a leaf or piece of grass to wipe of the majority of the mud before you use your towel. This will help keep you from getting your towel all muddy. Also, practice throwing without a run up- you may sacrifice a little distance, but you can throw almost as far and the accuracy will probably be better.

And the towel on the teepad idea is a good one. We used to do this on a cliff we jumped off of into the river as teens, but I never thought of using it for DG.

rainy tournament

we're forecasted to get 1 - 2" of rain the night before an upcoming tourney, and then rain showers during the tourney. besides the big golf umbrella and lots of towels packed in zip locks, what other tips can you suggest?

Drink water, even if you don't really feel like it. It's easy to get dehydrated when you're out playing, but you don't feel like drinking because you're already wet and miserable. I'll definitely second the extra socks/shoes, also I like to bring basically a full set of dry clothes so you can at least start the second round comfortable. I don't usually carry a stool, but I do on rainy days just to keep the bag up off the ground.

Use your car's defroster between rounds to dry out your socks.

A small stool of some kind is great for keeping your bag up off the wet ground. If it's windy, put your umbrella handle through one of the grab straps on your bag when you put it on your stool. With the big golf size umbrella there should be plenty of room under the canopy for your set-up, even enough room for to lean in to write scores.

Whatever you do, keeping the score card dry should be the #1 concern. It's difficult enough for the scorekeepers between rounds without having to decipher a wet card.

Use some baby powder. Wet clothes and regular disc golf movements produce chaffing. Armpits and belt-line.

Wear an old pair of breathable trail type running shoes that you don't mind getting wet and don't wear any socks with them.

DX is your best friend in the rain...and use less stable molds than you would in dry conditions.

Cell phone and wallet in ziploc bags. I learned this the hard way.

Carry a small bag and only a few discs. The large bags get soaked and heavy and messy if it's muddy.

all you need are two small towels per round. one for mud and one for drying. don't bother trying to keep them dry, just wring them out as needed. Keep the second set in the car for the second round.

After playing a tournament in the rain I can tell you that:

1. I wish I had brought three towels with me, one for mud, one for drying the discs, and then a back up for drying hands and discs as it was wetter than I thought it would be and the two I brought were pretty useless by the last few holes.

2. I wish I had brought one more extra pair of dry socks and clothes. I brought an extra set and that got me dry for round two, but it rained again and I had to drive home soaked.

3. I usually wear a hat while playing anyways but I especially appreciate it in the rain as it keeps the water off the face and its easier to concentrate.

-Waterproof shoes, or a backup pair
-Extra Socks
-Extra Towels
-Extra Clothes
-Pocket hand warmers in a diffrent pocket than your hand, so that your wet hands don't stop them from heating your hands.
-A hat for keeping the rain out of your eyes
-Leave the Champ plastic at home, bust out your old DX plastic, it will grip way better
-Something warm but breathable, with something waterproof over that
-Waterproof pants may look and feel a little lame, but they will help
-Try to keep your bag dry, a stool and an umbrella will help with that
-Drink more, it will at least seam warmer. :) (Whisky is the best for this)

Merged the "playing in the rain suggestion" threads.