• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tracking distance

Hey Y'all,

Not sure if this is the right place, but......

How do you track the distance you are throwing discs? Are you guesstimating? Using an app, fitness tracker?

Google Maps has a built in distance measuring tool. Just long press to drop a pin on your current position, choose "More Info" and then Measure Distance and walk to your disc.

Tracking Distance

Google Maps has a built in distance measuring tool. Just long press to drop a pin on your current position, choose "More Info" and then Measure Distance and walk to your disc.

Oh sweet.....I'm gonna try that!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Buy some cones at a sporting good store, place them out at 100,200,300,400, it will help you get used to the distances your discs are throwing. And don't forget to throw...all of your discs, not just your furthest flyers. ;)

Buy some cones at a sporting good store, place them out at 100,200,300,400, it will help you get used to the distances your discs are throwing. And don't forget to throw...all of your discs, not just your furthest flyers. ;)

I thought of that, but was wondering how I would measure out the distances. Dropping the pin on google maps seems like a great idea, I'm about to head out to the park to try that.

I thought of that, but was wondering how I would measure out the distances. Dropping the pin on google maps seems like a great idea, I'm about to head out to the park to try that.

If you have a park or course you regularly use for field work, Google Maps also has a line measuring tool. Range trees, benches, etc ahead of time (saves me from fiddling with my phone while practicing.) I've got distance landmarks all over my home course. I just hit a 450 mark at lunch.

Attachments

• distance.JPG
    distance.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 31
I also use my stride length to measure. 3 steps for me = 8 feet. It is pretty accurate, as I have tested it out on football fields and other measured areas. My shoes are a foot long, give or take a fraction of an inch, so I can use that for measuring less than 8 feet. This is also nice for putting practice, as I can pace out 12 steps plus one shoe for the edge of the circle.

Google maps is really accurate, how F. Howl showed. Just make sure you know exactly what landmark you are throwing beside, and make sure there are specific trees or landmarks beside where your discs are landing. You can also just throw on empty soccer fields, then measure the length of the field on the satellite view later. This way you'll just be pacing it out from the far line of the field which you're hopefully landing near so step by step variance should be pretty close...it's easier to judge if you're 30' from that line than if you're about 300' from where you threw. When you start throwing really far then it gets trickier to find spots.

If you have a park or course you regularly use for field work, Google Maps also has a line measuring tool. Range trees, benches, etc ahead of time (saves me from fiddling with my phone while practicing.) I've got distance landmarks all over my home course. I just hit a 450 mark at lunch.

This is what I do. Current practice field has a bunch of landmarks to use: roads, trees, an old barn, and a nasty creek on one side that just swallowed my Teebird. It's 370 feet from my throwing spot on the other side and I'd never thrown a Teebird that far until that day.

There's also an apple tree at the end of the field at 520 feet. Can only dream of reaching that.

I found that mis-leading because it was only accurate to around 20-30ft which is fine for general GPS locating, but not precise enough for disc golf. I ended up purchasing a walking distance wheel at a sporting goods store for around 20.00 and it is extremely accurate.

Football field is awesome if you can find one. Back of end zone to back end zone is 360' (100 + 10 + 10 yards), and the lines make it easy to measure anything in between.

Just make sure to keep track of where you're throwing, there's nothing worse than losing a disc while practicing in an empty field. Don't ask how I know :)

Get a 300' tape measure from a building supply store. Lowe's has one for $25. Now I need to find what I did with mine.

I'm lucky in that I live near a new high school with two!! practice football fields (also used for lacrosse and soccer), but they are awesome for practicing throws.
Obviously, the field itself is 100 yards (300 feet) and each end zone adds 10 yards, so if you're throwing from endzone to endzone you are hitting the 360 foot mark. I find it really helpful to stand on a goal line and practice throwing putters and midranges. The wide field is also a bit forgiving for shanked throws :)

The quickest way is to not measure, then post about how your disc is going about x-hundred feet. Subtract about 100 feet from your stated distance and it will likely be close to your actual distance.

If you don't have flat grounds nearby, you can simply throw from the top of a large cliff. It would likely go the same distance on flat ground.

At least, that's how people seem to do it around here

Latest posts