• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable mid?

I throw a fuse for my RHBH right-turning shots. Agree with the height requirement for anhyzer (and distance!)

There are two left-to-right holes on my home course that I despise because I ALWAYS hit the tree on the left trying the anhyzer shots. I hoped the Comet or Stratus would save me, but I STILL HIT THOSE TREES! Last round I gave up and threw sidearm. I can't make it to the basket, but it goes further than 50 feet into the tree.

Update: the Discraft Stratus came in and that works better for me on left-to-right (rhbh) shots than the Comet. Works much better.

The Stratus is solid. It's a little less "stable" or "neutral" than the Comet, and does well on right turning backhands without needing as much air under it as the Comet does. Also gets a little bit easier distance. The Comet is more spectacular for shaping and holding lines as your throw improves. But a Stratus is an oldie but a goodie, and I think more beginner friendly.

Specifically for 175-250', I recommend the Mirage. A little faster than the US putters you mentioned, it's more like a short midrange that if allowed the space to hyzerflip flies just a little shorter than say, a Comet, but longer than other putters.

Very similar but more stable is the Sol.

Longer and just as flippy is the Tremor, even in Proline. Longer and a little more stable... the Vertex. Very much like a Spin that was smooshed out and flattened to become a mid.

There are two left-to-right holes on my home course that I despise because I ALWAYS hit the tree on the left trying the anhyzer shots. I hoped the Comet or Stratus would save me, but I STILL HIT THOSE TREES! Last round I gave up and threw sidearm. I can't make it to the basket, but it goes further than 50 feet into the tree.

I'm a fellow RHBH-dominant player, and can empathize with you. Frankly, there are just some left-to-right holes that are not designed for a RHBH turnover; you really need to either be a lefty or throw a flick to get close. But the problem with throwing a turnover rather than a forehand is that the turnover needs height & time to flatten out before hitting the ground, otherwise it will land on edge and roll, often back the direction it came from. To contrast, a forehand shot landing in the same spot will typically give you a nice skip forward. This difference in ground play can easily be a 50' difference in how close your putt is. Turnovers also need space on the left hand side (which you've found out already, based on your comment of hitting trees on the left) unless you can master the difficult hyzerlip-to-turnover shot.

For me that's where the mental part of the game comes in. Unless you're playing MA1 or MPO, the likely reality is that not every hole is a birdie hole. It's OK to throw a straight putter off the tee, layup an approach, and tap in for an easy par. You can bag those birdies somewhere in the other 16 holes, while recognizing that 2 holes just don't fit your strengths.

To your initial question, I've been throwing a Tursas for the understable mid slot basically since I started playing this game. It's not a 100% cheat code to avoiding a forehand, but it generally gets the job done. Like all other mids, its shortcomings relative to a forehand shot are when you don't have enough ceiling to work with or when you need it to really go hard right after staying straight a long time. However, it excels at hyzerflips in the woods, long panning turnovers, etc

Last edited:
I have been throwing the Bounty and Fuse for US mids the last few weeks. As long as the nose doesn't go up and catch air, both of them turn gradually, keep turning, and land flat. The Bounty faded a bit at first, but it didn't take long for that to go away.

I can throw the Fuse slightly farther than the Bounty, the Fuse is more comfortable, but for some reason the Bounty hits lines regularly. That could be because when I grab the Fuse, I'm throwing harder.

BUT- I have never been much of a long putter thrower, and can't power grip one... however I have been throwing the Warden off the tee sometimes where I would throw a Bounty. That experiment is going very well. It could be that a putter is a solid 'replacement' for an understable mid.

I have found the OOP Vertex to be just what the doctor ordered for controlled turnovers in the 200-250' range. Tursas is nice, glidey and long, but can really get away from you on an errant shot.

Vertex is A. a little slower B. a little less touchy and C. has a little less glide. These all combine into a disc that gives you that finish to the right but won't turn into a disaster on a misfire.

Also the Diamond Mystic I found to be a really nice premium US mid. Ended up with one as my bonus disc in a box of Wizards. Feels great, flies great, similar to the Tursas is maybe a little less touchy.

The Tursas is touchy in case you didn't get that message.

Said it before and I'll say it again, you need to try a DGA Tremor. I also throw a comet, and a few other understable molds... Nothing is quite like the Tremor.

Give it a go!

Came here to say this. I bag two - one in Proline and one in Ice Flex. The Proline is more US than the Ice Flex, but I use both of them almost every round.

The Tremor really is an awesome disc.

ETA - I used to bag a Tursas but found that it wouldn't hold lines in the same way the Tremor does. I don't have a ton of arm speed so that's probably why.

Latest posts