• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upcoming Ohio Roadtrip

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Last summer I played a majority of courses in PA that had at least 18 holes and in 08 we will be heading to Ohio.

Anyone have recommendations on particular courses? I think we'll head towards the Columbus/Cincinnati area since the course concentration is pretty high and there isn't too much travel involved from course to course.

You might try Pike Lake in Bainbridge, Great Seal in Chillicothe, Mt. Airy in Cincy, Brent Hambrick in Columbus, Flat Rocks in Lancaster. Dayton has a few good ones as well.

I'll be sure to take a look at those, thanks!

I have traveled thru Ohio many times over the last 15 years and have played a lot of them casually. From memory I liked:

Spider-Ab near Canton: hard to follow in the early 90's
Oak Ledges in Massillion - wooded but liked it
Hoover Dam - front 9 very nice, back has gwon in too much
Belmont in Dayton
Mt Airy in Cincy - great
Banklick in KY (southern Cincy) - great

Let me know if you want to see my entire list for Ohio?

Idlewild

Idlewild in Burlington KY would be good if you go to Cincinnati. Haven't played it, but it's on my wish list.

I'd go to Cincinnati over Columbus. I've heard rave comments about Mt Airy and Idlewild. Of the 3 Columbus courses I've played Hambrick was pretty good, but not stellar. IMO, you can skip Griggs Resevoir. Just my thoughts.

Great Seal

You might try Pike Lake in Bainbridge, Great Seal in Chillicothe, Mt. Airy in Cincy, Brent Hambrick in Columbus, Flat Rocks in Lancaster. Dayton has a few good ones as well.

When I played Great Seal a few years ago the course had a dual character. Holes 2-8 are among some of the best I've ever played. I loved them! But the back 9 wasn't nearly as good, and I was disappointed by many of them. Hopefully they've gotten better by now.

Flat Rocks would be a pleasant stop. A nice course. Some holes are a little too open for my taste, but those are my preferences. Great elevation changes.

I actually like more open courses and elevation changes are always good.. except for the whole walking uphill part :)

Flat Rocks

I actually like more open courses and elevation changes are always good.. except for the whole walking uphill part :)

Since Flat Rocks has a good mix of both wooded holes and more open grassy fairways it would be probably be a good course for you.

Forked Run S.P. also has good elevation changes and a good variety of wooded and open holes.

By all means DO NOT play Ohio U in Athens. It can't really be called a course. It has the best baskets I've ever seen-- Mach, royal blue hot dipped, with solar powered lights on top. What a waste of awesome baskets! (The plentiful woodchuck community at dusk are quite entertaining, though.)

The course at Deis Hill in Dover was new in 07 and is a great Ohio course to check out and play.

mobster,

I've got Deis on my list.. actually, if you check out my profile I have all the potential choices in my wish list. I just have to narrow down the list a bit since I'll be there for around 3 days.

Ok guys, here's my latest list. I've put all the potentials in my wish list but I have to cut at least 3 or 4 from this list due to time constraints.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=1

Sims Park and Lakeshore Park don't really count as those are ones I'll stop at on the way home if there is time.

Any votes as to what goes?

Here is the updated course list. I decided to skip the northern Columbus courses and head south to hit Pike Lake, Forked Run and Great Seal. Chances are Belmont might not make the cut due to time constraints.

* A. J. Jolly Park -- Alexandria, KY
* Banklick Woods Park -- Independence, KY
* Idlewild -- Burlington, KY
* Arboretum-Spiker Park -- Canton, OH
* Belmont Park -- Dayton, OH
* Deis Hill Park -- Dover, OH
* Flat Rocks DGC -- Lancaster, OH
* Forked Run State Park -- Reedsville, OH
* Great Blue Heron -- Norwalk, OH
* Great Seal State Park -- Chillicothe, OH
* Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC -- Columbus, OH
* Lake Shore Park -- Ashtabula, OH
* Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges DGC) -- Massillon, OH
* Lobdell Reserve DGC -- Alexandria, OH
* Mt. Airy Forest -- Cincinnati, OH
* Pike Lake State Park -- Bainbridge, OH
* Roscoe Ewing Park -- Medina, OH
* Sims Park Disc Golf -- Euclid, OH

Although it didn't get a fantastic review, some friends and I played Lakeshore Park in Ashtabula on our way to Rochester last summer. I thought it was gorgeous and had a blast playing it. Idlewild is not for the faint of heart but fantastic if you are in the Cincy area. Mt. Airy and Banklick are both nice as well. We played some course called Lobdell just east of Columbus and it was horrible in my opinion. One of the worst disc golf adventures that day.

I plan on stopping at Lakeshore and possibly Sims Park depending on how exhausted we are as those two will be on the way home.

Why didn't you like Lobdell? I have it on my list but can easily sub Delaware in its place. I thought it looked decent from the pictures.

With Lobdell, it was kind of in the middle of nowhere. The shots required were very redundant. It is built on a series of tiers (the best way I can describe it). The 18th hole was pretty different and unique but a majorit of the course was just flinging a drive out into the open, approach or putt from where you are. It just seemed stale compared to the other courses we played, many of which are on your list.

Hmm.. that doesn't sound too fun. I've played courses where you're pretty much just throwing discs in any empty field and it tends to get old pretty quickly. I've got around 2 months to decide what to do but I'm sort of leaning towards Delaware now.

The trip is a go.. the course pages have been printed, all the rooms have been booked, the weather looks to be great for all 5 days and I have a few backup discs coming in the mail. I think I'm prepared :)

Here's the current schedule. It's pretty ambitious so I'm hoping that we manage to fit them all in. Thursday we may not get to finish Hambrick.. I think Friday we should be ok. Saturday it is quite a ride to Forked Run but I think we can squeeze all 4 in. The next two days I don't think there will be any time issues.

Thursday
Great Blue Heron - Norwalk, OH
Lobdell Reserve DGC - Alexandria, OH
Hoover Reservoir, Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC - Columbus, OH

Friday
Mt. Airy Forest - Cincinnati, OH
Idlewild - Burlington, KY
Banklick Woods Park - Independence, KY
A. J. Jolly Park - Alexandria, KY

Saturday
Pike Lake State Park - Bainbridge, OH
Great Seal State Park - Chillicothe, OH
Flat Rocks DGC - Lancaster, OH
Forked Run State Park - Reedsville, OH

Sunday
Deis Hill Park - Dover, OH
Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges DGC) - Massillon, OH
Arboretum-Spiker Park - Canton, OH
Roscoe Ewing Park - Medina, OH

Monday
Sims Park Disc Golf - Euclid, OH
Lake Shore Park - Ashtabula, OH

Man, am I jealous! You've got 17 courses on the agenda and some really good ones in the Cinncy area that are on my wish list.

Funny enough, but I'm hoping to play Pike Lake SP in Bainbridge on Mon 5/26 (Mem Day), so we'll miss each other by just 2 days!

I'm curious to see your impressions of Forked Run since it sounds like it's been improved. The terrain has very good potential. I'm also interested to see your impressions of the back 9 of Great Seal. I wonder what it's like these days.

I don't really need to tell you to have fun. Looking forward to reading your reviews!

I have played all of these except half of Saturday and all of Sunday. I can tell you - you are going to be beat! Your Friday schedule is very aggressive... but let me give you a quick tip concerning Cincinnati traffic: Start out early in the morning in Kentucky and work your way back to Ohio. You do not want to be crossing the bridge going into or out of Kentucky between 4 & 6 PM. Also you do not want to be coming accross the bridge from Kentucky during the morning rush (7:30 - 9). Mt Airy & Banklick will be packed Friday after 3 PM, but people are real friendly.

Best of luck to you - have some great rounds!