• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upcoming Ohio Roadtrip

Thanks for the tips.. we are staying 5 or 6 miles from Mt. Airy and plan on starting early that day and playing the courses in the order above so hopefully we won't run into too much traffic (automotive or disc golf).

Actually, all the courses in the list are the order we plan to play them in.

Sounds like a sweet trip. Friday night you should definitely be worn out. But at least AJ Jolly is last and it is the easiest of the 4 courses so even if you're tired it won't hurt you too much. If you get a chance you could stop by Disc N Dat in Florence, Kentucky. They are some cool guys and can give you tips on the area courses, plus they have an extensive inventory of plastic. After Idlewild you might need a 30 minute break. Take care and have a great trip.

Depending on how we're doing on time Friday, I'll definitely try to stop in at Disc N Dat.

Tim,

I saw your DGCR sign at Pike Lake. I'm looking forward to reading your review, then comparing notes.

Glad to hear it's still there :)

I really enjoyed that course.. one of the better wooded courses I've had the opportunity to play. I will try to start writing some reviews soon.. I'm still recovering from the trip and catching up with work and DGCR site stuff.

Glad to hear it's still there :)

I really enjoyed that course.. one of the better wooded courses I've had the opportunity to play. I will try to start writing some reviews soon.. I'm still recovering from the trip and catching up with work and DGCR site stuff.

how many courses were you able to bag?

A Excellent course is only there because of "All the love put back into the course from people who recieve love from the course". So don't be so harsh when reviwing different courses because some are sleeping giants "waiting for someone to put some love into the park".

My top 5 courses that I've seen a lot of love put back into the parks from various people associated with the park.

#1, without a doubt. Freedlander Park Wooster, Ohio park can be busy at times, but just give the people picnicing a heads up before throwing. The Wooster Park Department has made all efforts to make your stay safe (wood chipped fairways in the woods, new bridges, new steps, a kiosk, unique 'Next tee signs', enjoyable and fun. Good course to finish your day playing as there's a pool within walking distance from the course so you can (pay a small fee) and clean up or better yet, go for a dip :^ D

# 2 Idlewood Burlington, Ky. Freddy 'Boy' Salaz and his friends have gone way beyond normal loving in making this course stand out as one of the hardest (but fair) courses in the land. Granted it is in Ky and not Ohio. This course is so full of greatness it can't be missed, if you miss this gem you might as well not even visit the Cincy area DGC's.

# 3 Hoover Dam Columbus, Ohio Yes this course is SO BUSY that you should try to play it as early in the day as possible. But this course is special as it was the vision of Brent Hambrick. One of the best visionaries DG ever has known. I haven't played it a while, but the feelings that I get when I play it make me feel so lucky to be involved in this game as the Columbus club hasn't forgotten their roots as this course over time still stands in time as a model course to utilze in your city back home.

# 4 Lake Shore Park Ashtabula, Ohio Another gem. Maybe even a diamond. This course has it all. You want challenge, every basket it in a very well placed position. Multiple tees and a view to just stop playing for a moment and just take a deep breathe and remember why you came to this park, because you might forget for a moment and forget why you are there. I would recomend going early on a Sunday as they have outdoor church services in the pavilion next to the lake.

# 5 Lincoln Park Massillon, Ohio Talking about character, this course has it all. As this park was built in the wpa daze during WW2. The big hill behind the the restrooms that basket # 7 stands atop on is the place where they put all their scraps from the soup and bread line of the workers who worked in this park trying to make a buck (litterly). The 'valley of doom' lurks next to #'s 7, 9, and 11 (you don't want to go down there from an errant shot) # 5 has a cave that once was used during the days of prohibition (it's blocked off now, but this hole is a 2 tiered beauty that if dueced will be remembered for the rest of your trip. Everyone says hole # 6 is the one hole that makes no sense. Try a sidearm or a lefty hyzer over the road where the disc will just dive into the basket area. This course has everyone from all over visiting and leaving with the "WOW" factor in thier souls. Granted it's a very woodsy course and very hilly to boot, but you'll be wanting to play it again and again and again, it's one of those kinds of courses.

dan' hyzer' kilgore # 4697

other courses in Ohio I would recomend..Any of the Dayton courses, Medina's Roscoe Ewing (you got to play the first course in Ohio, don't you??) I really liked Miami Whitewater Forrest, granted it's only 9 holes (but this courses is very unique by the way it was made, check it out..it will give you a very good idea of how to make a cool course out of a piece of flat property. I also loved Great Seal St. Park in Chillicothe, Pike lake St. park in Bainbridge is worth the drive as well as Alexandria's Lobdell Reserve Park just to the eat of Hoover Dam. I would also recomend Euclid's Sims Park, after your round go to Scoti's on east 185th. Great Itallian eatery, plus they have a basket in the back parking lot for a little bit of extra......

Enjoy your trip. But rememeber this The Ohio State Patrol don't play. I once had a statie friend who once said 7 your fine, but nine your mine. That's on the interstate. on the secondary roads, I would go much faster than the traffic or the posted limits. your choice...

how many courses were you able to bag?
I think I managed 16.. got rained out of one and Forked Run had a tournament going on when we showed up so we skipped it and headed to Forked Run and managed to get Big Buckeye in after Forked Run.

...Forked Run had a tournament going on when we showed up so we skipped it and headed to Forked Run and managed to get Big Buckeye in after Forked Run.

Huh?

Dan Kilgore,

Nice notes and a great thought that you began with! Have you posted reviews of all the courses that your mentioned? I hope so, because those notes are valuable to have, but many people won't see them here, or not be able to find them later.

I think I managed 16.. got rained out of one and Forked Run had a tournament going on when we showed up so we skipped it and headed to Forked Run and managed to get Big Buckeye in after Forked Run.

16 is pretty good. I always have big plans for about twice as many courses than I actually end up playing. I always forget to factor in daylight hours and driving time.

Woops! I meant we skipped Flat Rocks and went to Forked Run :)

Too bad you had to skip Flat Rocks. It seems that you like more open courses, and although Flat Rocks has some woods holes, there are lots of really open holes. It's got great grass and very good elevation changes.

I'll look forward to seeing your review of Forked Run.

I would add the Wooster course in Freelander Park to your list and if you start the day playing the red tees in Dover then heading north to Canton's course then heading west to the Massillon course and still west to Wooster, you can still get Medina's course in as it's right up rt. 3 from Wooster. I don't know your skill level , but If I was playing I could sneak in the course in Brewster, which is just a 15 minute drive from Massillon's Lincoln Park if you go to your left from the main parking lot (17th street NW) follow 17th st NW for 3 lights, turn right onto Finefrock this will take you to rt. 30 (in which you can continue on Finefrock, which will turn into Millersburg rd or rt. 241, then a quick turn onto rt. 93, go south all the way through Brewster (obey speed limit) and turn right onto 7th st and go to the end to where the park is 9holes (less than a half to play, and another course on your list)) or you can go west on rt. 30 (again watch your speed in Wayne County and especially Dalton and Wooster) til you get to rt. 83 north (lodi exit), vere right and at the split vere to your left, at the first light you'll want to turn onto Friendsville road, then turn left on either the next 2 roads into Freedlander Park (I would suggest the 2nd left on Beuna Vista dr. and follow that short drive to the bottom of the hill in which they'll be the main parking lot and the forst hole at Freedlander Park will be behind the kiddie pool. This course will be the easiest to play as this park deparment has it together and has made it very easy for a tourist to follow the course with it's original 'next tee signs' atop of each basket. then to get to Medina, just go back to Rt. 83, turn right and then turn right at the next right (which will be rt. 3) and head north. I can get you to Medina even faster from Wooster, and this is the way..... Go back out to Friendsville road. turn left onto Friendsville road, turn left onto Highland (first light) ave til it dead ends into Portage, turn left on Portage, stay on Portage til you come to the intersection of rt.585 and Portage, turn left onto Rt.585, stay on rt. 585 til you get to rt. 57, turn left (N), you'll go under I-71 and when you do you'll know your getting close and you'll want to watch your speed as you get into the city limits of Medina. you'll want to turn right at the 2nd light (just after the fire station which is also on your right) I believe and take that into a residental neighborhood. you'll continue forward on that street and then you want to turn left at the next road which if your not carefull you'll miss the park entrance to Ohio's first DG course as this enterance is between 2 houses and is at the right elbow bend of the curve that you'll be in. turn right into the park, but if you miss that turn, you can always continue on that street til you get to Guilford. turn right, if you pass the RR tracks you've gone to far. and to get back to the nearest hwy after playing Medina. Go to Guilford, go over the tracks and follow this rtoad til it dumps you onto rt. 18. head east young man and that will take you to I-77 in which you can head up to Scoti's restuarant on E.185th in Cleveland, he has a basket in the back of his parking lot and the food is EXCELLENTE'.

my record is playing 9 courses in one day, and i've done it twice. Once in Chicago and once in Peria, Ilinois. So by starting Dover early you could possibly play 6 courses. Watch your speed in Dover as well.

Tim, I'm looking forward to your reviews from your Ohio trip. Have you
posted them anywhere yet?

I've posted 7 or 8 so far and have 8 or so to go. If you go to my profile and then jump to the Ohio area of my played list you can click the little paper icon to the left of the course name to check out my reviews.

Latest posts