• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

I got a Shift coming, too. Just ordered it today. I have been using a smaller Fade bag and can't wait to switch. Probably be easier on this old man and I won't be as tired after playing a couple of rounds.

I caved in on one of these too instead of the grip mini. I like the idea of the drop in slots, especially in a smaller bag. This should work well for winter golf rounds when I typically don't carry as much stuff.

Really enjoying my new Rebel bag. I've used it in 1 (3 round) tourney, and 1 casual round so far. Loaded with 22 discs, towels, water bottles, chair. Carrying it one hand with the handle or back packing it, it feels very comfortable. Crazy how light it overall feels though...makes you "think" it's going to get beat up quickly, hoping it handles the rugged terrain I'll be putting it through over time. But so far...this bag has been a great addition to my game. And wow..it looks sweet. ;)

Attachments

• updbag.jpg
    updbag.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 125
Ordered a Shift. I'll see how it compares to my C14. Says it will arrive Friday. Very curious and looking forward to finally getting my hands on one of these.

Not a fan of red really but I got a red one. Why? I have no idea, just wanted to try something different I guess.

Just purchased the Rebel and have played a few rounds with it. Here's my initial review:

Some background…previously I'd been carrying an Innova Discarrier with DGA Gel Strapz, which had plenty of storage but got uncomfortable after lugging it around for a couple rounds. Some things I was looking for a backpack were comfort/ergonomics, ability to customize disc storage, and price (under $200). I decided to pull the trigger on the Rebel because it was one of the few bags that utilized vertical disc storage (Ergo 2 Big Hyzer Bag and GB Simian are a couple others) and generally had good reviews.

The first thing that strikes me is how lightweight this bag is! Even after loading it with 22+ discs it felt great, huge difference when compared to my old bag. The back panel padding, straps, and top handle all appear to be quality made. The vertical storage includes 3 pockets that can hold 6-7 discs – I've got 4 drivers in the top, putter in the middle, and 2 fairway drivers in the bottom. The bottom storage has two Velcro dividers and can hold another 15-18 discs. Nice design for the front panel, it zips down and quickly folds into the elastic storage pocket in front. The panel itself is a lighter, thinner material than most backpacks, similar to what you would see on a lightweight hiking pack. The included rain fly fits tight over the bag and has a Velcro opening to access your discs. The two insulated drink holders are a nice touch.

One potential con for some people is the lack of bulk storage. I feel like the storage compartments are big enough - I can fit a sweatshirt, towels, snacks, and all my other accessories in them. However, folks that like to fill their backpacks like an emergency survival bag may not have all the storage they need. Another thing I noticed is that there's a slight conflict between the lowest vertical pocket and the bottom storage, the lowest pocket appears to hang down a bit too far. However with the setup I described above it really isn't a major issue. I would rather the discs be a bit snug anyway vs. being too loose and falling out.

Overall I've been extremely impressed with my Rebel so far. As my first backpack style bag I think it will be a great investment. UPD was easy to order with and I received my bag in less than a week (shipped from California to Virginia).

I received a Shift as an early Christmas present. My current bags are gorilla boy bags and a gggt cart. My initial impressions ~
Pros-
Lightweight
Discs are nicely organized
It is easy to pick up
Storage is adequate
Well made
Stands up fine
The phone pocket is nice
Comfortable on the back
Cons-
No convenient pencil place or scorecard spot. I guess you could put it in with the mini. I'll probably glue a pencil holder on.
The waist belt is kinda... Let's just say the pockets on it are fine but I am inclined to cut them off. I could just put my keys in the large bottom storage along with energy bars, whatever. Maybe it'll be a nice travel convenience. I'm really torn on them.

Overall-
This will be my everyday bag during the winter and for summer rounds when I don't need all of the space my cart provides. This is a pretty big deal because the cart is the best back saver out there. This is close enough that the ease and lightweight will be enough to be the right choice for many rounds.

Cons-
No convenient pencil place or scorecard spot. I guess you could put it in with the mini. I'll probably glue a pencil holder on.

there are pencil/marker holders on each side of the drink holder you can see I put a mechanical pencil (with the blue cap) and a small fine point sharpie on the other side:

14763205047_3972694427_c.jpg

what I did for a scorecard is I bought a cheap small clipboard from wall mart (the hard cardboard/particle board kind that costs less than $1.50) then cut it down with a box cutter to a 5x7 size (the size of the standard scorecard). it'll fit into the mini pocket fine and makes taking score so much easier.

Last edited:
what I did for a scorecard is I bought a cheap small clipboard from wall mart (the hard cardboard/particle board kind that costs less than $1.50) then cut it down with a box cutter to a 5x7 size (the size of the standard scorecard). it'll fit into the mini pocket fine and makes taking score so much easier.

Great Idea on the clip board. I am going to steal that one. I am very happy with the shift. Still surprised at how well the weight is distributed with this bag. Very comfortable on the course when loaded up.

The problem is that those pickets are too deep for a typical golf pencil. Yeah, I've seen those mini clipboards as well. It might be a good solution. It is simple enough to glue a small pocket on the top though.

The problem is that those pickets are too deep for a typical golf pencil. Yeah, I've seen those mini clipboards as well. It might be a good solution. It is simple enough to glue a small pocket on the top though.

I carry an extra pen cap to put on those small golf pencils so you can tuck them into your back pocket or those deeper pen slots on bags. But nowdays I just use those 0.7 diameter mechanical pencils you can get a wall mart for 10 for $3.00.

My wife and kids got me the first-gen Focus a couple of years ago for Father's Day and I still use if for some of the shorter nine hole courses and the fun tourney's like Ace Races/Birdie Bash/Trilogy. Great bag that definitely fills a role. Wish it had the elastic pockets like the 2.0 version, but it's still a solid bag.

Just got the Shift yesterday for my birthday. Bag looks great. Got it loaded up yesterday and now just have to wait for a good weather day+day off to roll around to go try it out. Already planning on getting some patches to accessorize. Wished the wife had known about the mini though...

I'm in the process of getting a Rebel rain fly to try with my shift. I played a round and ended up soaked. My new shift was properly broken in as it was wet as hell. I unloaded it and let it dry out but hopefully with a minor mod I can use the Rebel rain fly in dire situations when needed. I'll post pictures once I try it out.

I'm in the process of getting a Rebel rain fly to try with my shift. I played a round and ended up soaked. My new shift was properly broken in as it was wet as hell. I unloaded it and let it dry out but hopefully with a minor mod I can use the Rebel rain fly in dire situations when needed. I'll post pictures once I try it out.

The Ergo 2 railnfly works pretty well on the Shift. The one real problem wit hthe Shift/rainfly situation is that the sholder strap meet the bag right at the top, so there really isn;t anything to keep the rainfly from slipping off the top of the bag. I was meaning to stich some short ties or velcro straps to teh top of the fly to wrap around the shoulder straps and hold it in place. But then I got a Mahal for the winter, and stopped caring. Anyway, hope this helps.

Does any one know when the Shift will be back in stock on the UPD website?
Or another place I can get a shift?

Jersey Devil Discs had them, but now their site is down. Hopefully just a case of needing to renew the hosting fees and not going out of business. You can PM them here, but it looks like they haven't been on since November. You might also try emailing UPD and asking about any other retailers.

I had emailed support back in late December, asking for details on restocking and about future rainfly availability for the Shift. FWIW:

We will be offering a rainfly for the Shift bag and it will be available when the rest of the Shift colors are restocked, in March/April.

Upper Park told me March was timeframe for more shift bags. Jersey devil discs was unable to deliver the shift I ordered from them and they refunded me. I also emailed D town about this bag and they responded to me in 30 minutes. (No affiliation). In the end I bought the Rebel direct from UP. Should be here tomorrow.

I received my rebel rain fly for use with my Shift bag and it works very well and should allow a great deal of protection if I find myself in the rain. No mod needed as the rain fly has a elastic outer border which slips on easily and then a velcro strip to keep it in place under the shoulder straps.

Last edited:

Latest posts