• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be the odd one, but I do not like Soft X-Link. I haven't tried it for a while but when I did have one in my bag it was very inconsistent coming out of the hand. I was never sure how much the disc would flop around in my hand and thus it was tough to predict how exactly it would come out. I still think it is great for certain circumstances but I had to take it out of my bag because I was too tempted to throw it when it was not the right time.

I agree with most of this, actually. A lot of my frequent playing partners (3 of the 4 guys I regularly play with) have just recently switched to soft puttees for the cold CO winters. They've all been liking them, but they made the mistake of getting really light weights...never a good idea for putters, IMO. I used to use a soft Ridge. But it seems like this recent Softober run is much floppier than last years. I compare my buddies recent softs to my last years sorts and its almost like comparing a blowfly to an XG Rhyno. Not quite that extreme, but not too far off.

So yeah, the soft puttees I am no longer a fan of. I still have much love for the soft Ascent and soft Trak. The soft Trak I have (from last year) is just perfect. No skip whatsoever and flies just the same as the day I got it. I don't use it that often, but when I fins the shot I need it for, it never fails to perform just like I need it to.

I do think the X-Link is the best overall. Soft can be too floppy, but has amazing durability and will not change flight charecteristics. The firm feels great in the hand but is way leas durable than what I expect from Vibram. It skips too. The X-Link (formerly X-Link Medium) has the best of all worlds. Low to no skip, great durability, and barely changes flight chareteristics (especially the Lace!)

X-Link for the win!:hfive:

Medium is definitely the best. I have a soft Ibex I really like and a soft Ridge as well, which are nice when there is danger behind the basket or when I really, really want the disc to hit and stick. And I do prefer firm for my putting putters. However, medium is definitely the most comfortable to throw overall and is the best mix of durability, grip, and performance out of the three.

Hello Steve Dodge!

Yes, I have a question for you. I have now seen the official announcement of Prodigy Disc Golf and still do not have all the answers I was hoping to have, but I am curious to hear your thoughts on the new company and if it will have any impact on what Vibram is doing. I have been very impressed with how Vibram continues to make an impact on Disc Golf and hope to see more in the future from Vibram as far as making an impact on the professional game as well as growth of the sport overall.

So the questions are:

1. What are your first thoughts as far as Prodigy is concerned?

2. How will their new business model and desire to help the sport affect what Vibram is already doing?

4. What plans does Vibram have moving forward as far as Pro Tour Sponsorship and growth of the sport overall?

My New Years resolution is to stock up on more Lace's because I've been blown away with how great of a disc it is. I got one for Christmas and has taken over my go to driver duties from my Nukes. I'm also really liking my Ridge I put in my bag because it holds whatever line you put it on. I've mainly been using it as my anny driving putter but it holds a hyzer line just as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what Vibram comes out with next.

Got out of work early: score!

Came home to practice putt a bit with my new Summits. I hadn't thrown them before, nor had I paid much attention to the way these ones felt in my hand until setting up to throw when I noticed, "This rim feels deep..." I picked up a Zone and was like, "This is definitely shallower!"

I did a little measuring and, sure enough, the Summits I have are both deeper than my Zones! According to the PDGA Approved Discs document the Summit should be 1.2cm deep and the Zone is 1.3cm deep. What gives?! Anyone else experience this letdown? Anyone think I can get replacement Summits from Vibram? Anyone think I'm crazy?

I did a little measuring and, sure enough, the Summits I have are both deeper than my Zones! According to the PDGA Approved Discs document the Summit should be 1.2cm deep and the Zone is 1.3cm deep. What gives?! Anyone else experience this letdown? Anyone think I can get replacement Summits from Vibram? Anyone think I'm crazy?

You might be crazy.
But first, how are you measuring this ?
The Summit has a curve as it transitions from the rim to the flight plate, which makes a rim height measurement difficult.
The 3 I have, closest I can measure, all have rims 1.4 to 1.5 deep.

Straight edge across the upside down disc and measured in the middle and closest to the rim without riding the curve. It's the sides that matter - the depth of the rim. The middle measurement was just for fun. I'm seriously bummed.

I just realized I have a super rare Summit. This bad boy flies just 6.8 feet at its ideal cruising speed. Perfect for a full run up and x step from 6-7 feet out!

image-1_zps65783f69.jpg

Hello Steve Dodge!

Yes, I have a question for you. I have now seen the official announcement of Prodigy Disc Golf and still do not have all the answers I was hoping to have, but I am curious to hear your thoughts on the new company and if it will have any impact on what Vibram is doing. I have been very impressed with how Vibram continues to make an impact on Disc Golf and hope to see more in the future from Vibram as far as making an impact on the professional game as well as growth of the sport overall.

So the questions are:

1. What are your first thoughts as far as Prodigy is concerned?

2. How will their new business model and desire to help the sport affect what Vibram is already doing?

4. What plans does Vibram have moving forward as far as Pro Tour Sponsorship and growth of the sport overall?

where is question 3:confused:

I just realized I have a super rare Summit. This bad boy flies just 6.8 feet at its ideal cruising speed. Perfect for a full run up and x step from 6-7 feet out!

image-1_zps65783f69.jpg

In the early days of Vibram the second number was a mutiplier. You multiplied the top number by the bottom number to get the "distance".

So, no one has any ideas on what to do about the specs being off on a Vibram Summit?

In the early days of Vibram the second number was a mutiplier. You multiplied the top number by the bottom number to get the "distance".

You're kidding? That's awesome, and the math is consistent with current chart. Thanks for the info.

So, no one has any ideas on what to do about the specs being off on a Vibram Summit?

tumblr_livhi6uXLd1qi7deco1_500.gif

This isn't really Vibram's fault, the specs on the PDGA approved disc can be fuzzy on a lot of discs. I just measured my 5 Summits and got a reading of 1.4cm on all but one that might be 1.3cm if not 1.4cm. The one ESP Zone I had measured at 1.4cm.

You have to take the PDGA specs with a bit of salt, they can be off a millimeter or two b/c making discs just isn't that profitable enough to put in the labor to make every one exactly the same.

You might be able to flatten your Summits a bit by warming them up, flightplate down, with something heavy on top to push down the shoulders but I honestly have no idea if that would work with Vibram being rubber and all.

This isn't really Vibram's fault, the specs on the PDGA approved disc can be fuzzy on a lot of discs. I just measured my 5 Summits and got a reading of 1.4cm on all but one that might be 1.3cm if not 1.4cm. The one ESP Zone I had measured at 1.4cm.

You have to take the PDGA specs with a bit of salt, they can be off a millimeter or two b/c making discs just isn't that profitable enough to put in the labor to make every one exactly the same.

You might be able to flatten your Summits a bit by warming them up, flightplate down, with something heavy on top to push down the shoulders but I honestly have no idea if that would work with Vibram being rubber and all.
Vibram submitted it for approval with a shallow rim, advertise it as being a shallow putter, but are not producing it consistently shallow because it's too expensive means it's the PDGA's fault for listing dimensions? I don't want to flatten it, I want it to be shallow the way they advertise. I suppose it's actually my fault for asking Vibram fans, but it's good to know these discs are inconsistent. I've asked Vibram, so we'll see what they say :)

I know this sounds really snarky, but please don't take it personally. I'm just on a painstaking quest to find a shallow putter :/

I know this sounds really snarky, but please don't take it personally. I'm just on a painstaking quest to find a shallow putter :/
You should check out Latitude's Zero-line Spike, they're quite shallow. I use Pures which are listed at 1.4cm, and I just measured my Zero Pures and they are all 1.4cm deep. The Spike is shallower than a Pure, and listed at 1.3cm, so that measurement might hold true, but I don't have any to measure myself. Flatness also affects how deep the disc feels in hand, and both the Pure and Spike are really flat in Zero-line.

Vibram may have published their own measurements at somepoint but what the PDGA publishes is the PDGA's findings on the discs which are submitted and I wouldn't imagine they have more scientific measuring facilities than a company like Vibram.

Steven Dodge from Vibram emailed me back very quickly and basically said if it says Summit on the bottom, it's their shallowest putter and he was mainly concerned with whether it flies/putts the way it should. Depth issue aside, the disc really does fly the way they intend and advertise it to (slightly understable in a fantastic way), which I'm sure is the primary concern of Vibram and most of their customers. Considering how reliably and nicely it flies, I realize that anyone who buys the disc for its intended flight characteristics will be more than satisfied with the Summit. I'm definitely going to keep it as my understable putter (it's way more consistently understable than Swans), but I'm still on the prowl for the perfect shallow putter in a plastic that will last longer than one round (I'm looking at YOU Pro D Ringers!).

Status
Not open for further replies.