• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are the other numbers?

i don't really trust the ones i posted personally. i think that the ascent is slower than the numbers suggest..

Yes the Ascent is a slow fairway driver. It gets the range of a fairway driver more from glide than speed.

what are the other numbers?

i don't really trust the ones i posted personally. i think that the ascent is slower than the numbers suggest..

I was just going by the numbers you posted. The speed 10 was the one that threw me. An Eagle is 7/4/-1/3 & Teebird is 7/5/0/2. So I'm guessing 7/4/-1/2 would be close.

I think I am going to start asking for ratings on a disc based on how Vibram rates them. I would love to hear what Vibram molded into the disc for numbers. You know the ones that are scientifically measured with all those cool devices. If only there were more jobs in the world like that.

I just gonna keep posting here til Steve invites me to the plant to test some discs out :thmbup:

has anyone's ascents gotten kinda chalky after some use? I dunno if its just how the rubber wears but all my ascents have worn in with a sort ot chalkyness to them!

I know you said "random" site, but if the Ascent is a Teebird/Eagle which are both speed 7, why would it be a speed 10? The other numbers make sense.

Eagle - 7
Dragon - 8
Valk - 9
Beast - 10
Wraith - 11
Destroyer - 12
Boss - 13

Doesn't the speed number correspond to the year in which a disc was made, for example you just take the year the disc was first put out and add 5 or something like that? It doesn't work perfectly, but hey, how can any system be perfect? The Boss (speed 13) is almost twice as fast as the Eagle (speed 7), right?

Using this logic, putting the Ascent at a speed of 10 makes sense. If it had been released in 2007, it would be a speed of 7. That is why we are waiting until Spring to release our next driver, we want it to go to 11.

Serioulsy though, the Ascents rating numbers are:

Speed 56 / 460
Fade 15
Turn 4

-----------

Two notes:

1. We are tweaking the bottom speed number, changing it from a multiplier to the distance in feet it is designed to fly.
2. For comparison, the Ridges speed numbers are now 52 / 300 while the VPs speed numbers are 60 / 250

-----------

Another issue that is arising is that we mold the ratings into the disc and depending on what type of material, the discs should have different ratings. I'm not sure of the most practical solution for this. The numbers above are for the X-Link material. The X-Link Firm seems to need less speed (probably right around 52 or so, right where the Ridge is). This is a problem with our current ratings on the disc and it is something I'd like to solve long term.

I thought Innova's speed number related to rim thickness. Which from the numbers I could find would put the Ascent at a speed 9(1.9 cm same as a Viking.)

radar guns, distance measuring guns, cameras (to see when the disc starts to turn / fade and how much), and a big stack of discs. ain't life tough!

Do you all do any modeling (CFD, etc)? If you don't currently but would be interested in analytical/numerical models for prediction/optimization purposes, let me know.

Insider look at the Innova rating system in process:
4-in-1_Lottery_Machine.jpg

Insider look at the Innova rating system in process:
4-in-1_Lottery_Machine.jpg

Sometimes it feels that way doesn't it.

Hey Steve, the changes you are making with your flight ratings seem to make them more practicle to more users and as such I would be in favor of them. Perhaps the solution is not building the number into the mold or hotstamp but simply posting them online somewhere hoping to draw more people to your site so that they can write the numbers on the discs based on the material used. I guess with other companies printing the info on the discs it is not the most practical.

For as much as I would also like to see what Vibram would come up with if they put there minds to making the best mid-range disc ever. Recent rumors tell me that they putters were designed to be used for all those mid range shots as well. So, with that in mind I am guessing they are going to make some max D driver similar to the Ascent in flight characteristics. The rim will be the max allowed and it will fly as fast as a speeding bullet. Just a guess though. Am I even in the neighborhood Mr. Dodge?

Just noticed this on the Vibram site:
flightguide-1010.jpg

I assume the lines under the flight ratings are simply graphical representations of each of the rating numbers?

What is the significance of the red line?

The Ascent is expected to fly 460'? wow, I've got a bunch of work to do, I'm barely getting it to 300'.

And, I can't imagine trying to wing a Ridge beyond 200', much less putting it out to 300'.

The Ascent is expected to fly 460'? wow, I've got a bunch of work to do, I'm barely getting it to 300'.

And, I can't imagine trying to wing a Ridge beyond 200', much less putting it out to 300'.

I hear you with this.

I have never been able to clock myself so I have no idea the speed I can get. On the best day with my testers I was getting about 370. With a nice hyzer and a little flip action I can get a Ridge out to about 270. So if I can get the first runs out to 380-400, I will be pleased. Yet with winter coming, I would be willing to settle for 340-360 until next spring.

Steve,
gave a bit of my experience/opinion with Vibram in the 'first run ascent' thread.

basically said that my vibrams got more grip with use, had one that did start out slick, but after a handful of rounds it is sticky as hell!! The other has been in my bag about a year now and is never leaving my bag. That disc changed my game of disc golf, I am a par player at worst because of the upshots that save my a$$ with the ridge.

also stated that vibrams Do break in, they just dont wear out. You have created a solid product.

Thanks for creating your great products, and thanks for moving the game forward.

Cheers man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts