• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The X-Link Firm seems to need less speed (probably right around 52 or so, right where the Ridge is). This is a problem with our current ratings on the disc and it is something I'd like to solve long term.

Have any of these mythical Slower X-Link Firm Ascents been released to the wild?

Have any of these mythical Slower X-Link Firm Ascents been released to the wild?

I have two testers that definitely exhibited this before. They fly like Archangels, at least in stability. If I bring them up to full speed, they need some hyzer or they flip into the ground quite easily. If you can hit a hyzer line similar to a Valkyrie, these Ascents have a very beautiful flight.

If I back off the speed, they straight out considerably. For me they work best either with the hyzer line I wrote about earlier or with a one-step (instead of my three step x-step) three-quarter powered flick. I only get about 280-300 feet this way but they can be deadly accurate.

So I definitely concur that the speed rating on the Firms are definitely lower than the normal X-Links. Vibram could possibly make an ever so slight tweak to the Firm Ascent and then could successfully market it as a completely new disc. With separate names they could market them together as complementary discs, covering all the shots you need until they release a true distance driver and a stable mid.

very cool! where's that course i wanna throw over that lake?

They didn't show the best part, throwing over the Christmas trees.

The property is a Tree Farm and is closed after Thanksgiving (I'm not sure when it reopens).

Disc Golf Monthly episode 78 I believe follows the leader card at the Vibram Open and is an awesome episode.

i took the ascents out to the field to throw a little. got some good results. pretty consistent 315'

then wind started blowing in my face. the regular x-link seemed to get squirrelly in the wind but still were pretty consistent. i have a proto x-link firm and that performed beautifully in a headwind. i could throw it dead straight. slight hyzer. or long turning anny's. the firm is staying in my bag along with the first run regular x-link which seem definitely more stable then the proto's which i really like!

i took the ascents out to the field to throw a little. got some good results. pretty consistent 315'

then wind started blowing in my face. the regular x-link seemed to get squirrelly in the wind but still were pretty consistent. i have a proto x-link firm and that performed beautifully in a headwind. i could throw it dead straight. slight hyzer. or long turning anny's. the firm is staying in my bag along with the first run regular x-link which seem definitely more stable then the proto's which i really like!

Sounds like the minor adjustments they made between the proto run and the first production run really made a difference.

Just noticed this on the Vibram site:
flightguide-1010.jpg

I assume the lines under the flight ratings are simply graphical representations of each of the rating numbers?

What is the significance of the red line?

The Ascent is expected to fly 460'? wow, I've got a bunch of work to do, I'm barely getting it to 300'.

And, I can't imagine trying to wing a Ridge beyond 200', much less putting it out to 300'.

As your arm speed appraoches the ideal speed for the disc, the distance thrown should get closer. Using this as a guide, it sounds like you do not have an arm speed of 56 mph for the Ascent or 52 mph for the Ridge. Have you tried throwing a Summit to see what it can do for you? It may be right up your alley (I know I love mine).

Steve,
gave a bit of my experience/opinion with Vibram in the 'first run ascent' thread.

basically said that my vibrams got more grip with use, had one that did start out slick, but after a handful of rounds it is sticky as hell!! The other has been in my bag about a year now and is never leaving my bag. That disc changed my game of disc golf, I am a par player at worst because of the upshots that save my a$$ with the ridge.

also stated that vibrams Do break in, they just dont wear out. You have created a solid product.

Thanks for creating your great products, and thanks for moving the game forward.

Cheers man

Thanks. This means a lot to me. I am truly blessed to have landed myself a job that may just allow me to help blow the roof off of our sport. There is plenty more to come from Vibram in the disc golf world. Their commitment to quality and testing is going to make this a great ride.

I smile every time I see Sara Nicholson pull out the summit that you provided in the sponsorship of my tourney last year.

My wife and her played the 4 round Upstate Classic this weekend at Timmons park and I saw her pull it out whenever she wanted a straight finesse shot.

I lost my ridge two weekends ago... can't find anything that performs the same off the tee. :thmbdown:

Good thing I am getting a lot more in!!!! :thmbup:

Where are they Steve, I'm dying here!!! :D

They are going to stores now. I actually sent the email to the stores this morning saying that we have them available in weights from 165-175.

As your arm speed appraoches the ideal speed for the disc, the distance thrown should get closer. Using this as a guide, it sounds like you do not have an arm speed of 56 mph for the Ascent or 52 mph for the Ridge. Have you tried throwing a Summit to see what it can do for you? It may be right up your alley (I know I love mine).

I'm getting the Ridge out to about 250 now, and about 350 with my lighter Ascent, so still have some work to do on speed.

I have a Firm VP and Summit, but not really a fan of the way the VP flies for me, or the way the Summit feels. The Ridge is really my putter of choice.

Just got my Firm Ascent (Thanks Disc Golf World!) in the mail today, so I'll have to see how it flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts