• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just got a couple "firm" vp's, these are the first vibram discs i have bought and was wondering how the firm plastic compares to the soft. i was thinking if i really like these discs i might reserve the firm for drives and upshots and get a couple softs for just for putts. for now i'll be using the firms for both and running them threw the ringer to see how well they work for everything but was just wondering for future reference

the soft is super floppy from what I understand.. I think someone posted a picture of their soft folded into 4ths!!!

If you want soft and grippy and not floppy, regular X-link is the way to go. Soft is Blowfly floppy

i just got a couple "firm" vp's, these are the first vibram discs i have bought and was wondering how the firm plastic compares to the soft. i was thinking if i really like these discs i might reserve the firm for drives and upshots and get a couple softs for just for putts. for now i'll be using the firms for both and running them threw the ringer to see how well they work for everything but was just wondering for future reference

The firm x-link seems more like regular premium plastic to me (as far as their stiffness goes). The regular is reasonably flexible, and the soft is super floppy. I can take my soft ridge and just roll it up into a tube. It does take some getting used to.

I have been using my soft ridge for both up shots and puts, but once in a while I'll toss my regular ridge when I think the floppiness of the soft is going to mess me up.

I am a big fan of the regular X-Link material. I think it really grips everything well. The Chains, The Ground, My Hand. There are many rumors, even confirmed by Mr. Dodge at some point in this thread, that the different X-Link stiffnesses have different flight characteristics. This seems to be most apparent in the new Ascent but still hold true with the putters.

I noticed my proto summit stiffened up in the colder weather. It is what feels like a regular and in colder weather felt like a firm. Will the softs harden up when using them in the 20-40 degree range? or will they still be really floppy? I have not held one, so just going off the pics and what others have said.

1 for Mr. Dodge. Has the company made any proto's or tester discs with no logo in the middle of the disc? If so does it change the flight of the disc? I would think with the little added weight in the middle it would make the disc change flight characteristics. I know you test extensively, but could not having the logo there add extra glide to the disc? Just curious to if it has been done with the material or not.

Thanks for keeping us up to date and spending time responding.

I noticed my proto summit stiffened up in the colder weather. It is what feels like a regular and in colder weather felt like a firm. Will the softs harden up when using them in the 20-40 degree range? or will they still be really floppy? I have not held one, so just going off the pics and what others have said.

I just played a round yesterday with my soft ridge in temperatures that were just about freezing (30f) the Soft X-Link was a bit stiffer at that temperature, but certainly not as stiff as regular X-Link at room temperature. Still plenty grippy, and still pretty floppy.

Also played with my Firm X-Link Ascent and I've decided that I really need to introduce that thing to some soap and water. The regular Ascent was really happy in the cold though, flying dead straight all the way to the ground 300'+

BTW, if it matters, our course is at 7,100' elevation, temperatures hovering around freezing, and I'm getting my Ridge out to 250' on drives, and the Ascent to 300'-350'.

I think the Regular X-Link Ascent, and Soft X-Link Ridge will be my go to discs in the cold weather.

722718_3340seriessinglecolumntestingsystems.jpg

According to the Instron 3345, the firms have a flex rating of 23.7. The regular X-Link have a flex rating of 16.2. We've never bothered with the softs, but Aaron's guess is that their flex rating is 2, but I think that's high.

And yes, I'm being serious.

This machine applies pressure consistently over time and gives a flex reading for the discs. PDGA standards allow a max flex rating of 27 pounds of force required to compress the disc to half its diameter.

1 for Mr. Dodge. Has the company made any proto's or tester discs with no logo in the middle of the disc? If so does it change the flight of the disc? I would think with the little added weight in the middle it would make the disc change flight characteristics. I know you test extensively, but could not having the logo there add extra glide to the disc? Just curious to if it has been done with the material or not.

Thanks for keeping us up to date and spending time responding.

The Softs stay crazy soft even in the snow. The regulars and firms will stiffen up a bit in the cold.

Regarding removing the label well weight from the underside of the putters, we have ground them off for the purposes of testing the glide. Our tests did not indicate a significant difference in flight, which surprised us.

what is the best vibram putter for a beginner .....hes been playing for about four months now......he tryed .... x'puttr .....challenger...... dx aviar.....blowfly.....he said he has seen them online and said he wanted to try a vibram but didnt know which one.....have any suggestions

The question ultimately is, what did he not like about those other putters? For a beginner or lower-powered putter, a Summit would be truest as it is the least stable and has the slowest drop rate. The VP might be too stable for someone just learning how to putt unless you really like hyzer putting. The Ridge in most scenerios is not as good as a putter as the Summit, but the Ridge is far superior as an overall disc as it can easily triple up duties and handle approaches and shorter mid-range up shots.

I agree with the above comments.
The Summit, being understable, is really the most beginner friendly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Steve Dodge !

Any cool christmas discs going out to dealers this year ?
Chunk Ascents maybe ?
:popcorn:

what is the best vibram putter for a beginner .....hes been playing for about four months now......he tryed .... x'puttr .....challenger...... dx aviar.....blowfly.....he said he has seen them online and said he wanted to try a vibram but didnt know which one.....have any suggestions

I'm going to do some over explaining...

Picking a putter isn't dependent on the disc or even the style. It is dependent just doing it over and over again. Now the problem is what you are doing over and over again has to be something effective or else you're just repeating something that doesn't work. I call it Failure Practice.

SO! First is the material. For the most part it is widely considered that Firm putters are preferred. Some people love softies and with vibram's you have the best of both worlds. The softs are crazy soft and the Firms are like well seasoned KC Pro Aviars, wonderfull. Take your pick on which, I suggest firm. XLink for driving and approach.

Now the discs VP - is an overstaable monster and will fight wind like a boxer afraid of hurricanes. Driving there is the problem that won't help form issues or OAT like other discs will. Putting its a lot like a Rhyno, Pig, or Banger GT. I don't like overstable putters anymore and they seem to mostly have a fan following online... especially for upshots and driving.

Ridge - Love it, I recommend getting one in the 168g-172g range and use XLink's for driving and upshots and firms for putting. The firms for putting are great for all styles and are pretty interchangeable with the Wizard and Focus. Focus turns a touch more and glides more, wizard just glides a little better. Firm Ridges are great for styles like Nikko's straddle-straight arm-hyzer putt or push putting styles.

Summit - this thing is great for learning all kinds of stuff. First it will require a clean throw to do anything but turn and burn so it eliminates OAT, it will teach you to hyzer flip, S Curve, throw annies, and gliding shots. With putting use a firm it is best for anhyzer putting, spin putting, and push putting even. I recommend the Summit for your friend but the issue is that it will take longer to get the benefits from it instead of the instant gratification of other discs. However in putting there is no instant gratification...

good luck fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.