• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Fivefingers

Took mine out for a round at lunch today and loved every second of it. I'm not about to take these out anywhere in a social type setting, but man, for disc golfing running and hiking... they're fantastic.

Used them again last night for some field work and I'm even more convinced. We still have some melting snow and a fair bit of wet ground so after an hour in the field my toes were starting to get pretty cold but other than that they were fantastic. Had I worn my toe socks I would have been fine, but they would have gotten soaked.

My wife is hating me lately because I talk about these things all the time and she hates them. She's just jealous because she has flat feet and is convinced they wouldn't work for her. :p

I love the KOMODOS but I do not like them for disc golf. I get too much traction and can not rotate around the way I need to. I'm sticking with my Brooks Cascadias for disc golf play and the five fingers for other activities.

FYI- The Vibram Five Fingers Speed is coming out in June which looks super causal.

Komodo seems to have circular areas under the heel and the ball of the foot. As if they are designed for pivoting... I've never used Five fingers of any kind other than fitted the originals. They felt way too thin in the sole for pain protection stepping onto sharp rocks or thin stums that are broken and therefore sharp. Like upward pointed spear. One course i play on has those. Do i recall correctly didn't someone say that at least some Five fingers wear too fast in DG? Would the Komodos ber sturdier. For me great traction is a bonus in almost all situations. I'm usually light on my feet for speed and power generation. And i play on natural tees often so toe protection is an issue on top of the traction requirements. We see a lot of wet ground here.

I've been rocking a pair of KSO's for about 3 years and a 1 1/2 years of solid disc golf and running. They are definitely starting to get really broke in but they still work plenty fine and I really enjoy them. I do think I will be able to get another 6 months out of them so I don't think wearing out to fast is a problem.

Cool. How is the KSO for protection? I play on a rocky course often. Natural tees so kicking something harder than my toes is probably gonna be common.

They do have a rubber toe guard on the front of the toes. If they are big rocks it might be a bit tough on the toes. If they are small rocks they are plenty fine. I think that they would get the job done but there would definitely be other shoes that would protect better. (I'd still recommend them though!) :D

Mornin' Interwebbers,

Having just completed another joyous round of disc golf with my Vibram Treksports, I feel the need to prop them up a bit. First, I'd like to state that I owned 2 pairs of KSOs before purchasing my Treksports and I manged to separate the mesh uppers from the polyamide lower material. As stated before, this may have been partially my fault as I used the KSO heavily in the gym and occasionally for Basketball. I don't think the KSOs were built to withstand the heavy lateral movements required in basketball, apparently a new model, the KOMODOSPORT, was built with lateral movement in mind. Either way, VFFs are not the best footwear for hooping.

On to the Treksports... I've owned my pair for about a month now and have ~5 rounds of golf on them. For disc golf, the Treksports are far superior to the KSO. The slightly thicker, slightly lugged sole offers a bit more protection and increased traction. Warning: KSOs are VERY slippery in wet grass / mud / etc. The materials and construction of the Treksport also appear to be much more durable than the KSOs (only time will tell). The Treksports also have an soft Neoprene pad on the Achilles Tendon that helps to prevent abrasion. I didn't experience much discomfort with the backs of the KSO but the skin on my Achilles did get develop a bit of a callous. There is a downside to the increased padding, it also functions as a funnel for debris that will occasionally start to rub on the heel and cause discomfort.

Having upgraded from the KSO to the Treksport, the only feature I miss from the KSO is the minimalist sole for situations that do not require the extra beef. The more robust sole of the Treksport is thicker than the KSO causing it to be a bit stiffer. This does slightly take away from the "barefoot" experience but, only having money for one pair, I'm fine with loosing a tiny bit of feel for increased functionality. The price tag of the Treksport is also $15 more than the KSO ($100* compared to $85) but if the Treksport has a longer life span, I consider the $15 money well spent.

Any shoe in the VFF lineup will be closer to a barefoot experience than traditional uni-toe footwear. I love being barefoot and if there weren't rules and hazards prohibiting being barefoot, I'd do it all the time. If you feel the same about being barefoot, check out a pair of VFF, if not, don't. The KSO Trek looks like it would be great for disc golf as well but I'm afraid of being barefoot in leather shoes for long periods of time. VFF is coming out with a laced model (Speed) soon for those who want a more traditional look.

KSO

Treksport

KSO Trek

Speed

* I only paid $50 for my Treksports using my 20% REI member discount and my $31 dividend.

I bought Komodosports but i'm gonna have to take a break from throwing thanks to overuse. Even then i need to use regular sneakers first to see if i'm ok. Vibram recommends easy use at first to get used to the differences. Then i need to use them in different tee materials to see what's what. They are protected better in the toes than the other models and i like the heavier sole for added protection. The soles felt fairly hot but the upper side seems nicely cool. Not looks but temperature and breathing wise.

There is a Finnish manufacturer of toe socks called Feelmax. www.feelmax.com They also make ultralight shoes.

For the people who have these, have you gotten any blisters between your toes? Or do you wear socks with them? It seems like they might rub. I'm curious about the Flow version and whether they have any grip on slippery rocks in streams for kayaking and wading? Also where is a good place to get them? I didn't see them at Shoemall.com.

I've used my Komodosports once and they are the best model for DG being thicker in the soles. No rubbing with Feelmax socks. These shoes definitely work the muscles so in time i'll be better with balance. Sorry that i can't help more with my minimal experience. Slipping is an issue on moist grass and moist dirt roads when running fast.

I wear the Bikila's on my home course.. very wooded/rocks/lots of roots and vines. I love the shoes even though they now smell like a flavela.

I have worn them for probably 30+ rounds so far and have no complaints... as long as the course isn't wet.

didnt keith olbermann mess up his leg because five fingers? i think i read that somewhere.

or was it just a dream?

Apothecary said:
didnt keith olbermann mess up his leg because five fingers? i think i read that somewhere.

or was it just a dream?

Probably just another Olbermann dream... You're still having those??

Also no, I haven't heard that story yet.

Latest posts