• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Ridge

Vegan Ray

Banned
From Aaron Ala (on the NEFA board):
BTW we took out the first pressings of the Ridge yesterday to Maple Hill. All of us that were throwing them were impressed, well except for Jon who threw his in the water on hole 8. The Idea was to make a putter that was "Stable" right in between the VP and Summit, and I think we did it. They hold any line nicely with out rolling over like the Summit or diving like the VP. Approval forthcoming.

OHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!!!!!

I got my Ridges yesterday. I'll be field testing today at lunch and after work. I threw a few putts in the house and it was very straight. I'm amazed that Vibram made a firm putter with that much grip. I usually shy away from stiff putters because they tend to be too slick for my taste. It seems like the best of both worlds. Am I dreaming?

There is an interesting bulge on the underside of the flight plate opposite the Vibram logo. I think that it's there as part of the logo stamping process. It makes a great reference point for balancing the disc on your thumb for turbo putts. I'm not sure if that was the intention but if you look at the pic I swiped from Justin on another thread the marking is practically thumb shaped.

attachment.php

Yeah thats where the gold vibram logo gets squished in.

It does make a neat indent though doesnt it.

I got my Ridges yesterday. I'll be field testing today at lunch and after work. I threw a few putts in the house and it was very straight. I'm amazed that Vibram made a firm putter with that much grip. I usually shy away from stiff putters because they tend to be too slick for my taste. It seems like the best of both worlds. Am I dreaming?

i thought the same thing. feels almost ideal to me, grippy yet firm like the aviars from 96 or so.

now if only the damn snow would go away so i can go out to play with it...

are yours grey or black? i got one of each and the black feels a little more slick.

Last edited:
Yeah thats where the gold vibram logo gets squished in.

It does make a neat indent though doesnt it.
It's really nice to have. Other discs may or may not have some texture where the plastic gets injected in the middle.

I'm not a huge turbo putter but sometimes you gotta do whatchu gotta do.

i thought the same thing. feels almost ideal to me, grippy yet firm like the aviars from 96 or so.

now if only the damn snow would go away so i can go out to play with it...

are yours grey or black? i got one of each and the black feels a little more slick.
I got a black and a freckled gray. I agree that the black one feels a little more slippery. It's a very minute difference. I almost think it may be psychological. I was driving to work in the dark this morning and couldn't really tell the difference between the two. I'm wondering if the flaking in the gray looks like it would have more grip so you think it does.

So far the black Ridge is a little less stable than the speckled gray. For straight putting it's a good consistent disc. The stability really lets you "go for it" without fear of turning the disc. For upshots it seems like I have to throw them harder than other putters. They feel heavy to me. Maybe it's because Steve actually weighs them unlike Innova who gives you the average of a stack.

I've been testing a gray ridge with black speckles. It weighs 174. IMO, this putter is very stable. I like throwing putters, and I could throw the Ridge as hard as I could, and even into a headwind, and it did not flip. Thrown flat and hard, it does fly straight with a late fade. It does not have much glide, and it seemed unless it was flying at a high speed it did not hold its altitude, let alone lift. It performed really well in the wind. The shape of it is very Rhynoish, with what looks like a convex bottom wing like a Wizard. I think it flies like a broken in Rhyno that has lost some fade, but still doesn't turn over.

Chunk Ridge & X-Link Soft Ridge:
ridges.jpg

I had quite a fun time with the Soft Ridge/Eco Soft Summit putting combo at glow golf & monthly this weekend. Rubber Ridge seems a bit more glidey that its stiff brethren. Also seems to have a delayed (though reliable) fade compared to the stiffies. Could be that the rubber has a wee dome to it, unlike any other Vibram disc I have thrown. The enhanced glide actually helped me make a bunch of long (60+) putts that I was really just trying to UFO in & drop close (always a +). Short-range putting was, as always, quite confident & solid. I felt like I was cheating on my beloved VPs, but I think there will be a place in my bag for all three. Here's how I believe I will set up my putters:

OLD ------------------------------------------------------------------->NEW
175g 3x JK Aviar-x (goto putter)------------------------------------>167g rubber vomit VP
150g DX Goblin (mad uphill & tailwind putts)----------------------->150g DX Goblin
171g 11x KC Aviar (understable-to-straight approach)------------->168g X-Link Soft Eco Summit
171g black 12x KC Aviar (straight-to-overstable approach)-------->171g X-Link Soft Ridge

The only missing link is a 150g Summit or Ridge (or some sort of putterish mid) to replace the Goblin. One can dream…

the first time i threw my grey ridge i flipped it over with a big tailwind into the ocean in the bahamas- did manage to recover it however. of course, this was also the first time i'd thrown a disc in a month or so...further testing revealed it to actually be fairly overstable. i don't think it'll be making it into my bag in time for loriella this weekend though unless i get a chance to toss it in calm conditions prior (not likely-this will be another of those tournamnents where i haven't actually played a round in months- that will undoubtedly lead to either 1000 rated play or 900 rated play)

The plastic caught the chains very well. Something I normally don't expect from a firm putter.

Depending on where you grip the disc you can get a firmer or softer feel because of the molded logo. If your thumb is to the side of the logo there's less "give". If your thumb is above or below you get more "give".

The plastic caught the chains very well. Something I normally don't expect from a firm putter.

Depending on where you grip the disc you can get a firmer or softer feel because of the molded logo. If your thumb is to the side of the logo there's less "give". If your thumb is above or below you get more "give".

How does it compare to some of the softer gateway plastic? One of the things I like about the SS and SSS plastics is that they are grippy and grab the chains without being floppy. If the vibram material is like that, I'm very interested.

How does it compare to some of the softer gateway plastic? One of the things I like about the SS and SSS plastics is that they are grippy and grab the chains without being floppy. If the vibram material is like that, I'm very interested.
They're not floppy at all but still have some good grip. It's a nice mixture. There seems to be a bit of difference between the two colors I got. The black is a bit slicker. Almost like a faint oily residue. Like you ate pizza on your disc and wiped up the grease with a paper towel. Maybe a Hot Pocket. I'll decide before I let Steve know what snack it is. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Sounds interesting, I'm going to have to try one out. I'm disappointed that dgc doesn't have them, I have a gift certificate. Maybe they'll have some at the tournament I'm headed to this weekend.