• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video Critique - BH + FH . . advice me up

adamb258

Birdie Member
I have been throwing predominately FH since I started playing 6 months ago, my better FH driver land 300-350 out. My BH is a different story, I have been having a hard time getting much of anything consistent with them. Here are some videos i made today after a 3 week break from playing. I am hoping critiques on either will be helpful.

Thanks,
Adam

BH #1 172 esp crush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viQhBfyPbTI

BH #2 169 star teerex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4B4pY3ay8

BH #3 172 Goldline Striker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zyqDXipx0

FH #1 172 Goldline Halo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8EdjhjoGzY

FH #2 175 star X-cal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMfeTuPGXc0

FH #3 171 Star X-cal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OooZny_zOh8

A couple of things:
1. Steps look a little short
2. Nose up on one of the drives
3. More steps. If you are really wanting some distance you will need more than 3 steps. You need a bit more of a "run up" that gets you into the x-step (which looks pretty good by the way).
4. Only critique on the X-step - when your left foot goes behind the right, you want a full reach back at that point. If you stop it at the 2 second mark you will see your left leg fully behind your right but you still have the disc down and not nearly at full reach back. Your reach back and throw are all happening on the last step of the throw rather than fully using the second step to get your disc extended all the way back. If you do this you will allow your hips and shoulders to pull your disc through quicker and get more D. Hope that makes sense.

I agree with what matt said about your reachback and x-step; getting your legs, hips, and core into the throw helps to get more distance. I would suggest a less stable driver than your crush or teerex, I don't know what the striker is like I've never thrown one. Ever try a star/champ beast? Great straight line driver that you don't need to kill to get it to go far. The crush and teerex are a bit overstable to start out throwing BH, imo. Other suggestions: Star TL, Discraft Z-XS, and I personally never had a teebird but I'm sure anyone who has would recommend one to you.

Other than that, just keep practicing, doesn't look too bad! Your forehand looks just fine.

Don't forget to watch this video:

BH form is all off...don't worry most of us started out that way. Forget everything and practice the Beato video with mid ranges, putters, and fairway drivers. Its classic strong arming OAT with no power from your hips.

FH has decent snap. You can get more power with more hip rotation with an x-step.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help so far. I hadn't planned to do this until I was out on the course so didn't have many driver to choose from. Out of those 3 disks the striker typically went the farthest and behaved more so than the other two. I have a star Tl 164g I can take out with me next time and I can "borrow" my wifes vision while im at it.

The whole run-up/xtep still feels clunky to me and I know it needs work, I also feel awkward on the reach back cause when i was really reaching back I felt like I was losing my target when i whipped back around.

Time for more practice , all the tips are very much appreciated.

Leave the Vision out, work the TL BH. It doesnt look like you are getting a lot of speed and I am thinking you are keeping your arm straight, but couldnt tell for sure, but that could be robbing you of your accceleration.

Dude! If you suck at backhand throws why the F are you throwing a Crush and a teerex?

Step it DOWN son.

Get an eagle if you need the stability...but you don't need that much disc for those distances.

maybe a Warrior would be better.

\/\/

I wasn't planning on making these videos or even working on my backhand drives when i went out for the day so I figured for the purpose of the videos it wouldn't matter what was in my hand (for form). Up to this point I have been FH dominant as well. I have a gold line striker, Core and a star TL I used today to practice, I will be getting a star wraith soon. Any other discs you might recommend?

Bird is the word (Teebird). Leopard would be another good choice. I'd hold on throwing the Wraith for a bit, jmo.

wraith is really for my FH drives, I have a TL not sure how much different a teebird would actually be for me.

what kind of distance are you getting on your FH drives. It looked like you may have been coming over the disc just a little bit at the very end of the throw, but I'd only really know if I had a distance estimate given the discs you were throwing. I have a couple little pieces of advice on overcoming that (if its even an issue) that I give people when Im working with them on the throw.

FH drive range anywhere from 275-350, id say 325 is a good average for me on them atm. The FH shots in that video all went around 300 (just gauging from the hole I was on. My BH were like 225-240 on those throws in the video.

BH form is all off...don't worry most of us started out that way. Forget everything and practice the Beato video with mid ranges, putters, and fairway drivers. Its classic strong arming OAT with no power from your hips.
I like the idea of just starting from scratch with the Dan Beto video, too.

A few things to work on:

1. Get your weight over your plant foot. Right now your weight is too far back.

2. You need to pull close to your chest, not around your chest. The pull is more linear and not as rotational.

Those two will help with the nose angle issues. The Dan Beto video will help with both a lot, too.

3. As others have pointed out, you aren't getting shoulder or hip rotation.

4. You shouldn't accelerate until after the disc passes your right pec. You're coming in with too much speed and have no power at the right times.

5. Part of this is becuse of 3, but your shoulder is too far ahead of your elbow. There's a slight pause when you're 90 degrees from the target where your elbow lunges forward and your shoulders are stationary.

Again, the video will help a lot. You have OAT issues with your shoulder plane, but throwing slower discs will help with that.

Yeah, I planned on youtubing the video on my iphone from the field today =P I think he says 10-20 throws of each before you move on which doesn't seem like much to me.

Yeah, I planned on youtubing the video on my iphone from the field today =P I think he says 10-20 throws of each before you move on which doesn't seem like much to me.
Once you get the standstill ones it doesn't take long to add the other steps. The key is to get the ones from a standstill, which might take longer.

Well, I can't offer any meaningful advice, but I will say thanks for posting, as watching your throws, compared to the video examples has shown me that I might not be in the proper form myself, and therfore should work on the Beato video training steps.

search for the swedish style backhand, it'll be more natural than trying to emulate beato (american style)

My BH were like 225-240 on those throws in the video.

If you are throwing those 3 discs only 225-240 then you really need to disc down. Rocs and Buzzz's should easily be able to go 300 if your form is good. So if you are only throwing a TeeRex 240 then you would throw a slower disc much, much further. Try throwing any of these:

Valkyrie, Sidewinder, or Roadrunner

Once those are going further than your current drives you should be able to step up slowly to discs like the beast and eventually the wraith.

The main thing I noticed was that it looks like you're swinging the disc rather than pulling it straight through close the chest. This one detail can account for over a hundred feet of distance.

Today I went out with my 164 TL, 169 X cyclone and a 150 polaris LS (i think no stamp). I started gettign my cyclone out to 300 and straight after 30 minutes focusing on 3 things.

1. weight over my front foot
2. pull through
3. tighter grip ( mine was kind of loose i discovered)

Still have a long long way to go but added 75' to my drives after 30 minutes today, you guys have helped a ton. I will try to get more videos after some beato training and I will also check out the Swedish style to see if its more natural to me.

thanks everyone

Adam

Latest posts