• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

vinyl help

Duff-Dyed

Par Member
what type of sign vinyl are you guys using? whats the cheapest source? i need to make the jump from these bs book covering crap i got from the local craft store. thanks for the help.

Right now I'm just using clear and white contact paper. It does okay but with detail work, or if I'm not careful, it peels up easily. I've read in various posts that Oracal 631 or 651 is better. I have yet to try it. I don't know the exact difference between the two Oracal numbers, but I think it has to do with how sticky it is and the type of application it is used for.

One thing I know for sure is that for hand cutting, change your exacto blade often, it makes life a lot easier.

I use oracal 651. Have used 631 as well. the 651 is easier to use. There are some other people using other types of vinyl. Not sure on price. I buy mine locally from a sign supply store.

I've been using Calon 5000 vinyl, which is a cheap one I get from Rayco supply but has still worked wonderfully. Also seconding that you use a fresh xacto blade each time, helps a ton.

If you call a local 3M rep they will send you all sorts of samples to try. It comes in like 8"x12" rectangles though, which is just a tad too small. You can at least get an idea what you like.

What colors are easier to use? I am looking to get some supplies to get started. I would figure the yellow or a lighter blue will let me see what I am doing better. What oracal, 631 or 651 is easier to use for a 1st time dyer?

I'd suggest white or clear, to be honest - you can see the stencil better when using a lightbox.

The sign shops near me were all asking WAY too much for vinyl. I got 12x12 sheets on ebay, like 35 for $20, plus you pick the colors

Yea - the sign shops around me were outrageous. I bought that $21 roll of Oracal, and have dyed a fair amount of discs, and still don't need more - I think the 24" x 10' roll works out to roughly 72 discs using 10" x 10" squares.

I buy 50 yards at a time and it ends up being about a dollar a yard.

I just use the cheap contact paper from walmart. I've done three stencil dyes so far and no bleeds yet.

I switched to greenstar and have been very happy.

Great quality, tack, and less than .50 a sheet (12x12)

images

tell me more.