• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VOTING for OKTHROWBERFEST 2012

vote for your top 3

• Bones of Terror

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Skull Candy

Votes: 61 15.3%
  • Drawn in Blood

Votes: 179 44.8%
  • Glass Skull

Votes: 59 14.8%
  • Calvin the Zombie

Votes: 52 13.0%
  • Skullfire

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Join Us

Votes: 124 31.0%
  • starry night

Votes: 56 14.0%
  • Night Of The Discing Dead

Votes: 75 18.8%
  • Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin

Votes: 57 14.3%
  • The End of Evil

Votes: 125 31.3%
  • Corn Crazy

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Sweet Tooth

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Green Diablo

Votes: 32 8.0%
  • Mastodon the Hunter

Votes: 31 7.8%
  • Ty died

Votes: 78 19.5%
  • Creepy

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • Black Widows

Votes: 14 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man - just amazing work... amazing.

Also - I don't believe for a second DiB has paint on it - for one, I've seen a lot of other dyes from who I suspect the artist is, and they're all first rate awesome.

Second, and this is a total guess, but I bet it you mixed the red dye with something thick & sticky, like karo syrup, and dropped it on the disc, then dropped on the black dye, without mixing it with anything, you could potentially get this kind of result. Again - this is a total guess (and I'm probably way off base)... I just hope the artist shares some of his secrets once the contest is over...

Very tough to choose three... well done as always.

I don't believe for a second DiB has paint on it - for one, I've seen a lot of other dyes from who I suspect the artist is, and they're all first rate awesome.

Second, and this is a total guess, but I bet it you mixed the red dye with something thick & sticky, like karo syrup, and dropped it on the disc, then dropped on the black dye, without mixing it with anything, you could potentially get this kind of result. Again - this is a total guess (and I'm probably way off base)... I just hope the artist shares some of his secrets once the contest is over...

:clap::clap:

This is what I hate about internet posting/dialog, inhibition or filtration of hurtful and targeted language seems to dissipate when a posters identity is somewhat anonymous. Just look at a comments section of a youTube video and you'll understand.

Fellon shouldn't be banned for having a concern, nor should he be banned for a defensive rant because of a previous "moronic" statement. While I am not trying to approve of Fellon's language and banter, none of this would have sparked without the moron comment and my request is that all subsequent posting refrain from personal attacks.

Lets agree that there is a little speculation with DiB (even if it is a minority, it shouldn't be ignored by the mass opinion), and that we can discuss it in a mature manor, without condescending or rude remarks. Some advice though,

lets wait until the competition is over as respect to the anonymous artist rule. then if there is any controversy on ANY of the discs an open discussion could be held. I know how I would try and achieve a red on black look and I have had to do it with stars and light sabers with an appeared black background, but I will take my own advise and discuss it after the results which will also allow the artist to explain his work.

Guild members, please assist me by making sure we do not also get emotional even though our work and integrity may be threatened. I would like to make this cite, this forum, our "social group", and disc golf in general a more respected field.

:clap::clap::clap:

How do you pick one!!!! Outstanding, I wish more people realized how difficult dyeing these discs are.

I voted purely based on the artistic merit of a disc, which is subjective, and of course mine is only one viewpoint among many, but I didnt see anything that I liked better than last year.

I still think the " Reaper Waiting Room " disc from last year

6281717212_e4267546f5_m.jpg

is the best work of art in this contest, to date, and I will measure any future discs against this reference standard.

That being said, I did think two discs entered this year show great talent, so I voted only for those two, one of which I'm sure is the work of last years winner. ;)

I agree Reaper Waiting Room is cool and all, but some of the techniques showcased this go round speak volumes past that dye imo. Again, not disagreeing that the disc is awesome, just found it strange you are down on this years round. Thought there was some real cool stuff in there.

I voted purely based on the artistic merit of a disc, which is subjective, and of course mine is only one viewpoint among many, but I didnt see anything that I liked better than last year.

is the best work of art in this contest, to date, and I will measure any future discs against this reference standard.

That being said, I did think two discs entered this year show great talent, so I voted only for those two, one of which I'm sure is the work of last years winner. ;)

Actually he did not enter this years contest...That may actually be the last disc he dyed as we do our dyes together.

I agree Reaper Waiting Room is cool and all, but some of the techniques showcased this go round speak volumes past that dye imo. Again, not disagreeing that the disc is awesome, just found it strange you are down on this years round. Thought there was some real cool stuff in there.

You do not realize how much technique went into this dye. The level of detail that unfortunatly is hard to see in that picture is incredible from then knots and wood grain, the small innova stars on the tea cup and the sublte shading (done without a paintbrush). This was done mostly with the dip dye method and a few other secrets where as these techniques you talk about this year are relying on artistic skill with a paintbrush more then the traditional dip method. By no means am I knocking down these techniques, but a trained painter has a different approach then a non trained dyer who pulls off that level of shading and colour blending.

Last edited:
You do not realize how much technique went into this dye. The level of detail that unfortunatly is hard to see in that picture is incredible from then knots and wood grain, the small innova stars on the tea cup and the sublte shading (done without a paintbrush). This was done mostly with the dip dye method and a few other secrets where as these techniques you talk about this year are relying on artistic skill with a paintbrush more then the traditional dip method. By no means am I knocking down these techniques, but a trained painter has a different approach then a non trained dyer who pulls off that level of shading and colour blending.

I do realize, but you said it yourself that dye relied on more, and I quote, traditional dip methods to achieve most of the dye. All I was saying is there are some new techniques that have been shown this year and that is pretty cool.

)

I agree. I had trouble finding three I liked this year(I only really liked one.)

:eek:
I agree. I had trouble finding three I liked this year(I only really liked one.)

:eek: What you meant was that one really stood out from the rest, right? You didn't really like only that one, did you? :confused:

I don't really know much about technique, so I went purely on how well I thought the dyer captured the intended feel of the competition, and on interesting or striking visual design and layout.

My three faves were: Join Us, Skull Candy, and The End of Evil. :thmbup:

It wasn't easy to choose, good job peeps! :thmbup: :clap:

I'm having trouble finding three discs I DON'T like!
Although I think Night of the Discing Dead is underrated, after doing a number of dyes myself, I think all of these are out of control awesome. Props to all involved.

I do realize, but you said it yourself that dye relied on more, and I quote, traditional dip methods to achieve most of the dye. All I was saying is there are some new techniques that have been shown this year and that is pretty cool.

That piece was also 100% hand cut...im guessing little to none of this years are hand cut...its becoming a lost art

Actually he did not enter this years contest...That may actually be the last disc he dyed as we do our dyes together.

Bummer. :(
I hate to see good talent go to waste. I hope he's getting paid in some way for his art.

Some people try really really hard,for a long time, to be good at this, but some people are just born better at it.