• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Warp speed and small rim?

dorseymatt

Eagle Member
To my knowledge, there is nothing above a speed 12 with a rim width any smaller than 2.2 cm, e.g., a Destroyer. Is there something I'm forgetting? Are there any speed 13 discs with rim widths of 2.2 cm or less? What about speed 11 or 12 with widths less than 2.1 (e.g., Wraith)?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I wish companies would figure out a way to make super fast discs that those of us with small hands can handle easily. Maybe this is what MVP will be able to achieve eventually.

The rim width is what dictates what "speed" a disc is. Speed is really a relative term that has no real meaning.

yeah the best i have found are Wraiths and Surges.. i guess Rogue,Surge SS too but again these are only speed 10-11ish .. i really dont like the feel of anything over Speed 9ish but the surge has been the most comfortable "faster" driver i have found.. but i dont really know if its possible since the rim width is some important

I don't think it's necessarily a given that rim width = speed. I do think they are closely correlated, however.

The key is getting more weight on the rim of the disc, compared to the flight plate, if my understanding is correct. That is the reason wide-rimmed discs tend to be the fastest ones.

Recently, companies have been hinting at ways of getting weight out of the flight plate and onto the rims in other ways -- MVP's outer molding and Innova's Blizzard stuff.

Seems like we might start seeing some really fast and relatively smaller-rimmed drivers soon. Or I hope.

Eh?

for the most part rim width = speed. Latitude 64 brilliantly moves all their drivers up one notch on the scale giving them a speed 14 that really has the width of an Innova Speed 13. Same thing happened with the new release of the Villain which is really more like a wraith sized disc, not a destroyer

with Vibram, they actually give you the max distance in feet you can achieve for the speed rating. So if you get it up to speed, it will go XXXft.

The talon always seemed faster then its rim width (though not warp.speed).
Im guessing there are others.

Lat64 Diamond is smaller than a warp speed driver in every way. It's basically a flow scaled down. But the rim is still sharp and the low profile makes it a very fast disc without being a 2.2cm wide disc.

I think they rate it an 8 (innova 7) but it flies faster, imho

Teebird held the distance record for a while, right? I'd certainly say it is capable of more distance than most other speed 7 drivers.

Teebird held the distance record for a while, right? I'd certainly say it is capable of more distance than most other speed 7 drivers.

I believe you're thinking of the Valkyrie. And higher speed discs are not necessarily longer fliers than lower speed ones. In fact, if you can't get a high speed disc up to speed, it will likely be shorter than a slower disc.

I believe you're thinking of the Valkyrie. And higher speed discs are not necessarily longer fliers than lower speed ones. In fact, if you can't get a high speed disc up to speed, it will likely be shorter than a slower disc.
I think "a while" was on the order of minutes, but it did hold the record was was close to what was done with the Valk.

My experience is that rim configuration does matter some, but it won't bump a disc up a full notch. So a 2.1cm disc could be as fast as some 2.2cm discs, but it won't be as fast as the average 2.2cm disc.

IMO, the best way to think of speed is, "the ability to penetrate into a headwind."

If 'a while' constitutes less than a day, then yes, it did. Sandstroms throw with the valk came on the same day as Jarvis' throw with a teebird, iirc.

edit: beaten by garu :)

Rim width affects speed greatly but it is not directly proportional.

For example the Surge SS and Avenger SS are rated the same speed but the rim on the Surge is much larger.

There was a run of flat beefy Wraiths a while ago that was stamped as speed 12. It's a murky area but they were speed 12 and had a rim width of 2.1. The Pulse is in a similar situation. 2.1cm rim but flat, fast, and overstable.

PD.

It has the Firebird bottom (speed 9), but is rated at speed 10 due to the "anhyzer top". Tons of glide, and available in Champ/Star/Pro so you can get them stable or understable right out of the box based on your preferences.

Latest posts