• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Way Up Nort' Der, Eh? (new course in development)

jhgonzo

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Sounds like it'll be a unique course, and yet another for me to wish-list!

From the Iron County Reporter:

Disc golf course will be 'no walk in the park' - Wednesday, October 14, 2009

IRON RIVER—As the day progressed, it became apparent to the surveyors and those helping with marking a planned 18-hole disc golf course along the Apple Blossom Trail, that the finished project would provide a challenging experience for its users.

This pleases Michigan State University Landscape Architect Warren Rauhe, who developed the course, with funding through a "Small Town Design Initiative" grant from MSU.

From the start of the project last November, Rauhe was intrigued by the terrain, the natural features and the way they have been shaped by the history of the area, and on Oct. 8, while accompanying surveyors Gary Pisoni and Richard Sloat, who volunteered to measure and mark the course, he was convinced "The Tailings," could be one of the most unique courses in the region, if not beyond.

For example: several holes are played on a thick, vegetation-covered ridge created by the iron ore "tailings," from the mines which were in operation in the area.

This landscape created the deep, cold mine pits, now filled with water, along which several more holes skirt. There are stands of pines and poplars, which golfers will have to navigate in their shots.

Two holes take players near immense stone arches which once held up the train tracks that served the mines. Now, looming up along the trail, they resemble architecture from some ancient culture.

And, of course, there are views of the Iron River, itself a picturesque and important part of local history.

The course will start east of the river, south of Genesee Street, with the first nine holes on the east side of Apple Blossom Trail. Golfers cross the walking trail to play several more holes, then cross near the railroad arches for two more holes, finishing up on the west side of the trail just south of the RV Park.

Rauhe designed the course with four Par 3 holes, four Par 5 holes and 10 Par 4 holes; and can be played as a nine-hole course or the full 18 holes.

The challenge of the game is in the obstacles and terrain. Farways will be 20- to 40-feet wide, with an average hole length of 200 to 240 feet. Rauhe's plan also plans for the option of tournament play.

the next step in developing the course will be clearing and constructing the tees. The disc golf committee, comprised of members of the Iron County Chamber of Commerce and the community, will also invite experienced golfers to add their input on site.

If the average hole length on the course is 200-240 feet, those are going to be some mighty short par 4s and 5s considering there are 14 of them. Could be an awesome Super Class course for tournaments?

If the average hole length on the course is 200-240 feet, those are going to be some mighty short par 4s and 5s considering there are 14 of them. Could be an awesome Super Class course for tournaments?

I thought this course sounded really cool until I read that part. With holes toping out at 240, it won't stack up against any quality course. I hope the design includes the option for pro tees (okay am tees) to increase the distance.

It sounds like they're open to suggestions from the DG community, so perhaps anyone in the area or within reasonable driving distance could contact the Chamber of Commerce to make sure flaws that could negatively impact the course are discovered before it's installed. It sounds like a great setting for a course with neat features, but I agree that the 200-240 average won't be using this land to its fullest potential (that, of course, is an assumption since I haven't actually seen the land in question!). If the total course length doesn't even scrape 5000', this could be a near-awesome course doomed to failure...and it's already pretty far up there, and close to Sandy Point (and presumably not more than a few hours from Highbridge), so they're really gonna have to step things up to make it a go-to destination for the DGers from around the world that travel to play Sandy and Highbridge.

I'm from Michigan and, very near to the UP and I've scouted Iron River to build a course a few times... but at this point the UP and surrounding areas are too sparsely populated for a well maintained, quality course to be put in.

I think it's a great start, and I'd love to see some amazing courses put in, in the UP, but the only way that this course and others that follow will survive is to be good enough to take some of the traffic from Telemark or Highbridge (both in N. Wisconsin), and it sounds like this course isn't nearly good enough for that, so we need to help these guys out however we can.

I'll help. I work in the UP all the time.
Give me a call.
Winter Park is my reference.
Keep up with the extreme terrain ideals and a permanent course that doesn't need to be taken down due to winter activities. And maybe even get some committed resources and equipment such that we can do concrete tees, benches, garbages, etc, etc, etc.

"The STDI includes three phases. An initial visit, follow-up visit with a design plan and final visit during which Rauhe's team assists with preparation for the construction. With final input from the committee members and community meeting presentation, a working design will provide the construction team with direction to complete the course. A tentative schedule of a summer 2009 construction period could allow course play for the early fall color outdoor activity"

This methodology of design by a remote person making just a few visits typically yields a sub-par course. Spend a few weekends just walking the property. Lay out various design options with key holes and features incorporated. Come back to the property and throw some discs on those proposed holes and see where they land and how they fly to set up greens and landing zones. Then go walk around off fairway yet again and see what else the property has to offer. Share these designs with others. Go back in and do some initial clearing and play a 'rough' round. Tweak one last time the exact tee and basket locations, and then LET 'ER RIP!!!!!!

It also is unclear what type of disc golf experience Rauhe has. I'd sure like to know. Pretty important key to designing a disc course don't ya think.

It wouldn't really make sense to plop down a championship caliber course in the midst of an otherwise barren area, disc golf-wise. With the hole lengths described, those "pars" sound like recreational numbers, while "seasoned" disc golfers would all be thinking "par 54." That doesn't mean it can't be a fine course.

Hopefully, there is some informed decision making when it comes to course design and implementation. After a few locals get things heated up, they can add championship tees or another course nearby. There's a bit of room up there, or so I hear.

240 shooting towards water, through trees...can totally be a par 4...especially if the par 3's are all mad short (like sub 200' through the FOREST)

\/\/

I contacted them for more info, and to volunteer.

I sent out an e-mail, too, offering to even make the voyage up there to give some input, but initially I just wanted to see if they had a preliminary course layout I could check out. I also wanted to encourage them to lengthen things up and make it challenging, also understanding that the numbers they have right now on paper are likely to change once they get out there and start working on it.

Here's a snippet of what I sent to them:

If properly designed and maintained, I guarantee that people will travel hours to play the course, and indeed there are some far-north disc golf destinations that accomplish just that (Sandy Point Resort in Lac du Flambeau, WI, and Highbridge Hills in Highbridge, WI, being the closest neighbors to your neck o' the woods). I'd offer my input and volunteer to work on this project, but given my location I'm not sure how feasible that would be (I live in Cleveland, WI, just south of Manitowoc and north of Sheboygan). If unsolicited input is accepted, my only suggestion--based upon my reading of the preliminary plans--would be to include longer holes and multiple tees...I read that the hole average would be between 200-240 feet, which is totally acceptable, but to make the course a TRUE destination for travelling disc golfers, you would need to ensure enough challenge for advanced players (who are typically the ones that travel great distances to play top courses).

I wanted to share this very enthusiastic reply I received recently, and I've left the contact info in there so anyone who may live a little closer can get directly involved instead of taking a backseat and waiting for this thing to get done:

Hello Jason
Thank you very much for your interest in the disc golf course information. I am at the Chamber today and the director shared this message with me. I am the MSU Extension Director that worked with Warren on the disc golf course design. We have the plan to allow and include championship length tee boxes as well as amateur so that we can plan to hold tournaments. As I have done research on this and understand the value of a project like this, your information is wonderful and I'd like anything that you would like to input. As we move along I'll keep you up-to-date on this and welcome your input. As this sport is new to our community, there is a learning curve for our residents. There is support from the city, chamber, county as well as others.
Your input is valuable to us as we can share information from outside the community expressing the potential of the course to the community.
I will be walking the course as we staked it recently and we'll be looking at what brushing and tree removal will need to be done. The terrain is partially hilly and challenging incorporating the mining sites that once provided iron ore to the region. We will incorporate narrative signage with our tee boxes as well as other areas to make it even more interesting.
We will look to include the advanced player requirements and I look forward to meeting you in the future.
Julie Melchiori – Iron County MSU Extension and Economic Development Director
906-875-0603 or 906-875-6688

Bill Leonoff, Exec Dir
Iron County Chamber of Commerce
906-265-3822

Last edited:
I use to have family in Iron river, MI & it's an old beat down kinda town. I remember when I was younger there wasn't much to do up there but get in trouble. I'll have to look in to this a bit further & see where they are thinkin' of putting it.

Look at it this way, at least they are going to allow us to use what is a pretty historic and otherwise pretty useless piece of land.

I cannot wait to see pics.

I use to have family in Iron river, MI & it's an old beat down kinda town. I remember when I was younger there wasn't much to do up there but get in trouble. I'll have to look in to this a bit further & see where they are thinkin' of putting it.

I've been through Iron River once years ago, but don't remember too much about it--must've been pretty lackluster to not stand out in my memory.

If you read the original article I posted, you'll see exactly where the proposed site is. And it sounds like MSU has a lot of plans for this area; I got sidetracked reading some of their other literature while researching this course, and there's definitely a drive to clean up and restore this historic area (saw a few "concept photos" of what they envision the area looking like in the near future).

As mentioned earlier, they are VERY open to input from the DG community as a whole, so anyone interested, nearby the area or not, should contact them and express your ideas. I'd hate to see what sounds like a beatiful piece of land being under-utilized for a DG course, or to be installed with major flaws and/or safety hazards.

Just an FYI...

This course is now installed, and a big thanks to superberry for making his way up there and providing some guidance as to what the DG community expects from such awesome terrain! It sounded like the guys originally working on it were more interested in a project geared toward the community, but without having much of an idea of how to properly design a course. Sounds like there's some real potential out there for course expansion...

Hopefully I'll get to play it this season, although I may wait until it's broken in a little more.

Course profile for The Tailings

Latest posts