• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Stag

Stag

First time throwing a Stag today. Yes, I know, I'm really late to the party on this one. Disc is sparkle VIP, 171g. Very domey.

Westside's flight numbers (often known to be faulty) would have you think the Stag is a fairly neutral fairway driver with just a little high speed turn. Not the case. My Stag today was turning a lot, even with fairly little power behind it. Thrown hard and flat, the disc would drift right the entire flight without fighting back at all.

The 6 glide is legit. The Stag glides very well for a fairway driver. Really floaty.

Distance was almost outrageous for a disc of this speed. I had one drive that went pretty far right, but also ended up like 425' downrange. That's a lot more distance than I usually get out of a fairway driver. The glide really kicks in, and the Stag stays in the air a long time.

Conclusions: The Stag was not even close to what I was expecting. Very flippy and unmanageable. Every throw I did with the Stag was off to the right. Honestly, this disc reminds me of a slower Destiny. Distance is superb for a fairway driver. The Stag reminds me of Discmania's Essence, or maybe an Escape. The Stag might work for soft hyzerflips, but for full power shots it didn't.

Stag: 8, 6, -3, 2. Great glide, but a whole lot flippier than the flight numbers indicate. This disc probably works great for some people, but not for me. Long disc for a fairway driver. This thing will surprise you with how far it goes.

Last edited:
My wife throws Stags. They compliment her Diamonds nicely.

I've thrown one of hers and at 5000' above sea level and throwing it 300' it flies pretty true to the numbers.

Used my tournament burst Stag today to get a bird on a backhand turnover shot in the woods that is tricky. They are a little flippy, but super glidy and controlable.

VIP Stags are kinda like a good Star Roadrunner or Sidewinder for me, but in a champ style plastic. They go a LONG ways and the glide is legit. The original flight numbers are laughable. They were 8/6/0/3. They were then changed to 8/6/-1/2, much closer but still not "right". I'd put the numbers more like 8/6/-3/1.

That being said, this is a fantastic, highly underrated disc. I picked up a few brand new ones that still have the updated flight numbers so I should be set for awhile. Definitely closer to a Sidewinder than a Teebird3 though, In Innova speak.

First time throwing a Stag today. Yes, I know, I'm really late to the party on this one. Disc is sparkle VIP, 171g. Very domey.

Westside's flight numbers (often known to be faulty) would have you think the Stag is a fairly neutral fairway driver with just a little high speed turn. Not the case. My Stag today was turning a lot, even with fairly little power behind it. Thrown hard and flat, the disc would drift right the entire flight without fighting back at all.

The 6 glide is legit. The Stag glides very well for a fairway driver. Really floaty.

Distance was almost outrageous for a disc of this speed. I had one drive that went pretty far right, but also ended up like 425' downrange. That's a lot more distance than I usually get out of a fairway driver. The glide really kicks in, and the Stag stays in the air a long time.

Conclusions: The Stag was not even close to what I was expecting. Very flippy and unmanageable. Every throw I did with the Stag was off to the right. Honestly, this disc reminds me of a slower Destiny. Distance is superb for a fairway driver. The Stag reminds me of Discmania's Essence, or maybe an Escape. The Stag might work for soft hyzerflips, but for full power shots it didn't.

Stag: 8, 6, -3, 2. Great glide, but a whole lot flippier than the flight numbers indicate. This disc probably works great for some people, but not for me. Long disc for a fairway driver. This thing will surprise you with how far it goes.

I was going to do a review of the Stag but yours reads word for word like mine. I'm staggered.

I like the Essence comp. I took the Westside version out of my bag because I didn't want it to fight over the same throws. It would just stagnate.

I like the disc, the glide is real...

I use the Stag on low power woods shots, uphill distance shots, and hyzer-flip turnovers that don't burn and roll. Pretty useful disc.

Just got a few of the prototype Bear and it's significantly more stable. My first impressions are somewhere in the TeeBird/Eagle realm. Definitely something that has been missing from the Westside line-up.

It's funny but the Underworld, Stag, Hatchet and Bear all are listed as having a 1.9 cm rim width, but the Underworld and Stag feel smaller - more like 1.7.

"Domey, sparkle..." yeah that's generally how the flippiest Stags come IME. The flatter ones aren't as touchy.

"Domey, sparkle..." yeah that's generally how the flippiest Stags come IME. The flatter ones aren't as touchy.

Second that, my sparkle Stag is the least stable I have. Which is a shame because it's one of the best looking ones. The second most US are the puddle topped ones oddly.

Second that, my sparkle Stag is the least stable I have. Which is a shame because it's one of the best looking ones. The second most US are the puddle topped ones oddly.

Sparkle anything in Trilogy is usually flippy for me. Idk if just me or if sparkle runs come out with droopy wings or what. I've got a sparkle Ballista Pro that has a lower plh than some regular Ballistas.

Not just you. The only exceptions to sparkle=flip ime have been glimmer runs of VIP-X and the old Elasto

I've had a few that weren't less stable, but a lot of sparkle trilogy has been flippy for me (stag/giant/king/Justice).

The Felon I had is pretty normal. And sparkle Elasto was amazing.

Do any easily available plastic Stag fly like a stable Valkyrie? I have some flat top Valks that are very neutral at high speeds and are excellent hyzer flip discs in a light headwind. Finding flat, high PLH Valks sounds like a hassle but I love these things.

If you can find the VIP-X that gets the flight you are talking about pretty easily.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a "stable Valkyrie", but a premium plastic disc that flies like a fresh DX Valkyrie off the shelf would be a dream disc for me, and I happily throw a beat-in TP Stag in one bag and a somewhat less beat-in VIP in another, mostly straight with an S-curve in a headwind. Neither is precisely that dream disc, but then I don't know that anything is (Star Sidewinder and Star Roadrunner certainly aren't).

If the profile is more important, TP might be the better match. They're fairly similar overall, though the Stag has a curve where the Valk has more of a straight slope, and a VIP is likely to feel a tad domier. If a tick more stability is more important, VIP-X might be better as suggested.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a "stable Valkyrie", but a premium plastic disc that flies like a fresh DX Valkyrie off the shelf would be a dream disc for me, and I happily throw a beat-in TP Stag in one bag and a somewhat less beat-in VIP in another, mostly straight with an S-curve in a headwind. Neither is precisely that dream disc, but then I don't know that anything is (Star Sidewinder and Star Roadrunner certainly aren't).

If the profile is more important, TP might be the better match. They're fairly similar overall, though the Stag has a curve where the Valk has more of a straight slope, and a VIP is likely to feel a tad domier. If a tick more stability is more important, VIP-X might be better as suggested.
I have some Star Valkyries that are straight to fade until you start throwing them > 350. At around 330-350 they fly like Rivals(very similar to teebirds) with slightly less fade. I've thrown a couple Champ Valkyries that were both pretty flippy.