• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] New FD

The Mickstar

Berg Gang
Anyone throwing the new FD? I have a Mind Bender, and the Italian C-Line plastic feels great. Thinking about picking up a new FD to see if it can make the bag. The flight numbers of 7/6/0/1 are promising. But do they actually fly like those numbers suggest?

For reference, my current fairway lineup is...

Lat64 River (Opto) Seasoned, so it flips fairly easily and holds a turnover.
Axiom Crave (Plasma) Mine flies straight (for me) with just a little turn/fade.
Westside Stag (VIP Chameleon) Pretty fresh. Flies like I expect from a 0/2 disc.
Westside Stag (Tournament) Very fresh. Noticeably more stable than my VIP. Almost as stable as my beat Star Firebird with similar distance.

My only real complaint about this lineup is that the Crave is shorter than my other fairways, and not much longer than my mid of similar stability. I'm hoping the FD can kick it out of the bag. I'm worried the FD will be closer to my VIP Stag, though.

Last edited:
I have thrown one a bit and it's very close the the TP Stag that I occasionally bag. It's pretty good and feels nice, but probably won't do too much for you the ones you already have don't.

I bag the new FD, and the numbers are spot on, so there will be overlap. Very good at line shaping pushing hyzers and big turnovers that flatten out. Of course straight too.

I have thrown one a bit and it's very close the the TP Stag that I occasionally bag. It's pretty good and feels nice, but probably won't do too much for you the ones you already have don't.

I think I may have gotten an oddball Tourney Stag. Mine is a DyeMax, and much more OS than I expected. I was expecting it to fit between my River & VIP Stag (i.e. less stable than my VIP), but instead replaced my beat-in Star Firebird.

I'm not mad about it, though. I like the feel better than the Firebird.

If the FD flies like I expected my Tourney Stag to fly, that'd be great.

7/6/0/1 seems very accurate to my findings. I'm throwing the new FDs hard and flat, and they might get the slightest drift, but they just keep going straight for a long ways, then have a soft fade. Getting them out to around 340ish.

The C-Line blend in the Mind bender and stock is a bit different in my experience. I had a stock c-line fd and I just couldn't click with it. If the weather was cold it became hard I didn't have a confident grip with it. It was slippery. I ended up selling it as I couldn't have trust to it.

On the other hand the mind bender has much better softer and grippier c-line. That plastic blend is something I can throw even in the cold and trust to have good grip.

Just my 2 cents about those. I live in Finland so good grip in cold weather is a must for me.

FD seems like a high-quality disc. I have a couple C-line. Love that plastic. The disc, too!

I'm married to Teebirds, but I gave the FD a solid tryout. My conclusion was that I didn't have enough confidence with FD in headwinds to go "all in". It's an outstanding mold, but I decided to err on the side of stability with the Teebird.

Having said that, my favorite seasoned Teebird flies quite similar to an out-of-the-box FD.

So...go with what you know and love.

Do you like G-Star?

I usually prefer star and star like blends. Especially the soft star plastic when they happen to make them. Kastplast k1 and Clash discs Steady plastic are my favorites. Gstar has been weird lately imo. It is soft but still the surface feels slick (I have been testing the plastic at my local store, but not thrown them).

I usually prefer star and star like blends. Especially the soft star plastic when they happen to make them. Kastplast k1 and Clash discs Steady plastic are my favorites. Gstar has been weird lately imo. It is soft but still the surface feels slick (I have been testing the plastic at my local store, but not thrown them).

If I understand--it's more about grip/surface friction than pliability. It's fascinating how much this aspect affects results.

The C-Line blend in the Mind bender and stock is a bit different in my experience. I had a stock c-line fd and I just couldn't click with it. If the weather was cold it became hard I didn't have a confident grip with it. It was slippery. I ended up selling it as I couldn't have trust to it.

On the other hand the mind bender has much better softer and grippier c-line. That plastic blend is something I can throw even in the cold and trust to have good grip.

Just my 2 cents about those. I live in Finland so good grip in cold weather is a must for me.

Agreed. About 65 degrees and under, the FDs are super hard and slick. The plastic feels decent in hot weather but the mind bender felt much better.

Latest posts