• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Bear

wolfhaley

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Anybody tried one of these out yet? I got a couple in the mail today but have yet to try them out.

Flight numbers 8/6/-.5/2.5

Both are pretty flat, VIP Ice plastic which I've never thrown before. Plastic feels nice. They look promising.

From the Westside site:

The Bear is here to control the fairways. The Bear has a neutral to slightly understable flight for the advanced player. Think of it as the big brother of the Stag. It is controllable, predictable, and has a touch more fade and torque resistance than its little brother. The Bear is strong enough to handle any arm speed

No but there are several YouTube videos out there. Look up Beaver Branch Disc Golf. He has some decent footage comparing it to a Stag.

I've had one in my bag for about 10 days.

I grabbed it because I was eager to see a fairway with that much glide and fade.

At my speeds...

When throw BH on hyzer, it is pretty dumpy. If I throw it flat or with a bit of anny, it is a pretty decent straight to fade disc and you start to see the glide.

It feels fantastic for FH, straight to fade, or flex. I feel like it is a nice step up from an F2/Eagle. A bit more forgiving on FH angle, a bit more stability, a bit more speed/distance.

As it sits, I have a tough time figuring out when I want to use it. Also, there is no telling what it beats into...

Kind of sounds like they made a disc that is like the VIP-X Stags for stock, which is cool. I'll wait until the price drops though, those first run dollars are steep these days.

I threw one last night a few times

decent
but didn't do anything outstanding (for me) that would make me bag it

without checking the specs I think it's a "large diameter" (by like 1mm) than standard designs...which could account for the 6 glide

The flat Ice ones fly more like a decently stable Evader. The domey protos fly like a Stag-X. I'd rather bag the flat Ice ones b/c they'd be a good point and shoot FH disc right away.

I'm likely to buy one in the next week or so. Always liked Stags, they just weren't stable enough for my tastes, and the Bear I felt up in the shop is built like a beefy Stag.

I suspect that this is an intended replacement for the Fortress and/or Longbowman

Really starting to like this disc.

I think I threw it 4 times in my tourney and it got me 3 of my best shots.

My wife picked one up yesterday. Haven't thrown it yet but in the hand it has a very comfortable feel. Sort of a similar feel to a Felon in my opinion. I don't have a spot for a disc like this in my bag but I am looking forward to throwing it.

Got one in a players pack. Plastic is very nice. Thrown once as a warmup, so not close to trying to rip on it. Flat to fade.

I will give it some more throws this week.

Felt on from a local vendor this weekend, the profile is very similar to the VIP-X Stag I had and compared them side by side. Good deal flatter though, the stag has some dome.

Felt on from a local vendor this weekend, the profile is very similar to the VIP-X Stag I had and compared them side by side. Good deal flatter though, the stag has some dome.

My wife is a Stag thrower and picked this up as a beefier compliment. Hers is board flat. I referenced it earlier as kind of having a Felon feel but thinking about more it kind of reminds me of a Teebird 3 profile.

I see there are a few sites selling VIP (not Ice) Bear X-Outs now. Has anyone had a chance to compare the VIP & VIP Ice versions of the disc? Mostly curious about stability & flatness.

I see there are a few sites selling VIP (not Ice) Bear X-Outs now. Has anyone had a chance to compare the VIP & VIP Ice versions of the disc? Mostly curious about stability & flatness.

My wife's VIP Bear (I don't think it's Ice but maybe I'm wrong?) isn't very impressive. It's very flat and has a rather high parting line in general. I've thrown it enough that to know that she or I won't be buying any more. If I had to stick numbers on it I would say it's a 7/4/0/3 kind of a disc.

Not sure this helps any because I can't compare it to other Bears but the one she has is a horrible disc and leans more towards a shorter, less glidey Felon than a beefier Stag like the factory numbers would suggest.

My wife's VIP Bear (I don't think it's Ice but maybe I'm wrong?) isn't very impressive. It's very flat and has a rather high parting line in general. I've thrown it enough that to know that she or I won't be buying any more. If I had to stick numbers on it I would say it's a 7/4/0/3 kind of a disc.

Not sure this helps any because I can't compare it to other Bears but the one she has is a horrible disc and leans more towards a shorter, less glidey Felon than a beefier Stag like the factory numbers would suggest.

I think they all are Ice at this point. It says it right under VIP but you kinda have to look closely because it is over top of the tree graphics.

I love mine. I don't disagree with you. It def isn't a 6 glide. But it serves that just a notch below a Firebird slot very well for me.

I love mine. I don't disagree with you. It def isn't a 6 glide. But it serves that just a notch below a Firebird slot very well for me.

I guess I shouldn't be too harsh in saying the disc is a bad disc. Just wasn't a disc that I or my wife enjoyed or found a use for.

If I had to stick numbers on it I would say it's a 7/4/0/3 kind of a disc.

I don't disagree with you. It def isn't a 6 glide. But it serves that just a notch below a Firebird slot very well for me.

I'd call the two I have 7/4.5/0/3. They clearly do not have the glide of a Stag but I don't really think they could given the the extra HSS. I like the Felon comparison since the most notable difference I've found between the Stag and Bear is wind resistance.

I did some active field work at the local bomber course last week with my fairway collection (Stag, Bear, Tyrant, Eagle, Teebird3, Thunderbird, Fortress, Sampo, Felon, Convict, Banshee, Sexton Firebird, Escape, Explorer, Stalker, Mantis) and the three closest out of that set were the Convict, Tyrant, and Eagle.

I should note that those Tyrants are from the domey 2nd run (4 for glide instead of the 3 of the first runs)

Latest posts