• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Innova It

I just don't need a new mold but the It looks great to me and I'm surprised so many are turned off by the feel in hand. Seemed fine to me in the store. With that said I come to disc golf from a background of over 25 years of rock climbing and it's a different mindset in terms of grip. In my mind if something doesn't feel right or is uncomfortable it's just a matter of practice and strength until that feeling goes away. The Wombat3 felt weird to me at first but now I don't even notice the v-tec rim. But hey different strokes for different folks.

Ya, how a disc feels to any given person is completely subjective.

I think the Roc is another pretty terrible feeling disc, and I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on that one. The Viper should bother me, but it doesnt.

I clicked early in my disc golf adventures with beadless discs and have always felt like my release is better with certain kinds of rims and (flatter) flight plates.

There's nothing wrong with the disc other than Its name makes It immune to search engines.

There is no need for politics in disc discussions. Go to the Politics forum if you need to tell the world how annoyingly liberal or conservative you are...or better yet, keep it to yourself.

There is no need for politics in disc discussions. Go to the Politics forum if you need to tell the world how annoyingly liberal or conservative you are...or better yet, keep it to yourself.

Agreed! Now can you do something about the disc discussion thread in the bags forum? =)

Now what'd I miss?

Based on 168 gram g-star editions. With more field throwing against its similarly numbered friends. Leopard3, Innova molded DM FD, Also g-star, and same weight. It is a lot more finicky to work with (so far). Something I also see is that its finicky flight turns into throwlers result is that they seem to be accurate to what the idea of the throw was.

After more months of trying to figure it out. This is a swiss army knife. If you don't give it room to fly. You will learn rollers with it when thrown at anything resembling full power. The glide makes it sneaky long for approaches, and lower powered control oriented throwing with fh, or bh. If it's not going off to the right someplace with a rhbh release. It's going to go super straight with a slight hyzer on the finish.
That -2 is probably closer to a -3. At least with the g-star.

Looks like stock Champion IT have been released, anyone got their hands on one yet?

I have yet to find a Star one with plastic that feels great (Red ones are close) so I'm guessing only the initial run has been produced and distributed.

So far so good with the 2 ITs have thrown. G star definitely turns easier than the star which I found to be very straight flying with slIght fade at the end. That wing is very different than many fairway drivers like others have said. it is roadrunner but less rim width or a kite with more width. Cool throws and rolls to be had on this disc. I'm also liking it for overhand throws for quick turning thumbers and tomahawk to get outta trouble. I'm digging IT!! :thmbup::thmbup:

I now have a bit more experience with the It and I can say that I like it. The first one I had in Gstar I gave away b/c it was just too flippy for me and I like flippy discs. Picked up a Holly Finley Champion Glow a couple weeks ago and I'm having more success. It is still very understable but workable.

It's going to take the place in my bag that my beloved old Pro Leopard occupied before I left it on a practice field. Big hyzer flip to bombs and subtle low-powered turnovers. Caught a little tail wind today and glided out to 400'. I could barely get the Gstar one I had to 350' without rolling it.

The It is a true finesse disc. I recommend max weight (rare for me) and a more stable plastic. These in Champion Luster could be very interesting.

G Star IT flies like a premium plastic version of the DX Glow TLs that are incredible but end up wonky too fast (then you lose them!). The TL shapes up weird in DX that makes it fly great but odd to hold, apparently people don't like the feel of the IT but I think it's great, especially compared to what it's replaced. true numbers more like 6/6/-4/1 for G Star.

Finley Glow Star IT true to the numbers.

I have Champion ITs coming now too

Nice to have an Innova driver that turns easy, because you can throw it with so much less power and still get it to bend, it's so much more controllable in the woods and I think it's an improvement over the Leopard3 or FD for those shots.

Finally found an Innova IT in the used bin at my local PIAS. Gently used 170star (from the orange Halloween run).

Got out in the field with it... and that's one smooth bugger. Just a consistent smooth turn. I was backhanding it a bit over 300'. Landing pretty flat off to the right (RHBH).

I have a variety of Leopards (orig and 3 top). The IT is definitely more understandable than an equivalent leopard. But the IT wasn't just turn+burn either.

I feel like the leopard mold especially is just so much more stable in premium plastic (vs dx leopards). I know why the adage has been Teebird+leopard for years. But if you asked me now? I'd probably push a noob towards Teebird+IT. (But I should definitely get some on-the-course experience with the IT.)

The fairly extreme convex rim feels pretty good in my power grip as well. Probably not a great shape for rollers though.

The fairly extreme convex rim feels pretty good in my power grip as well. Probably not a great shape for rollers though.
I just picked up a DX IT to try out since I was curious if the mold would be usable to get down quick rollers than my Star Roadrunners/Leopards. I've gotten out and thrown it a little and had some fun to get down rollers that have a long/higher flight before landing. In the field I got it to fly about 230' and roll another 200' before hitting a some concrete and scuffing the plastic a bit.

I'm curious if the VTech makes it a better or worse roller vs. concave or flat rimmed discs. So far I like it as a fun disc to try different shots but don't know how often I'll need that quick of a roller or take the risk of the long flight & roll very much. DX IT will remain a curiosity but not sure I'll buy any premium plastic ITs.

Yea, just reread the history here and plenty of folks are enjoying the IT for rollers. So ignore what I said.

I also didn't realize the IT has exactly the roadrunner bottom. I don't have any roadrunners and haven't thrown one in years so I didn't recognize it.

I also didn't realize the IT has exactly the roadrunner bottom. I don't have any roadrunners and haven't thrown one in years so I didn't recognize it.
Narrower rim width than the RR, 2-3 speed difference I'd say which means a different 'new' convex rim was produced and used for the IT using the same general idea as the RR. Top mold piece feels like a Leopard. Innova saw a marketable slot for a 6-7 speed that had more turn off the shelf in premium plastic blends and a familiar feel to both the Leopard and RR.

If this is a RR bottom the one I held must have molded up really strangely. IT had a super pronounced bead and I dont generally mind the RRs smallish bead.

I was throwing a Champ IT around today and I kind of enjoyed IT. :p

Seriously though, it's a strange mold. Brand new champ it flew similar to the flight numbers from the limited throws I had with it. Any other plastics will be WAYYY more US than listed I'd assume. Unless Innova champ plastic has gone soft in the last decade. Don't know, I normally throw star or G* but wanted to try this particular mold in champ.

Initial thoughts? I was kind of digging it actually. Basically no wind, and totally flat for the most part. Also, again, brand new champ version. The convex wing is strange but wasn't uncomfortable in the least. Definitely odd but it didn't affect the flight. I'm going to bag it as a backup/water disc for now. Pretty decent Leo/Leo3 kind of deal.