• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whaa Whaa Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Doss, Feldberg and Jenkins among others at the KC Wide Open this year.

I was not impressed with Doss (nor have I ever been), and it didn't really help when a 3x World Champion gives his disc the middle finger. Jenkins was talking about being a champion and kept talking about Climo. Jenkins had a tough time at Wilbur Young (Blue Springs) which is a very technical course as well. Feldberg has been disc golfer that I really looked up to. One hole he was talking about macking on women, and his overall attitude just stunk. Not what I thought it would be.

I did however like what I saw out of Cale. And had some good conversation with Nikko as well.

Just my opinion.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Avery, but if any of you guys were on the road making next to nothing all year, you'd probably be a little pissy as well. Just saying.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Avery, but if any of you guys were on the road making next to nothing all year, you'd probably be a little pissy as well. Just saying.
That sir is his choice. So it makes him even worse if he is a little baby. If he does not like it then get a real job!

He's used the #TheNextLevel hash tag quite a bit in other posts. He's talking about taking disc golf to the next level, whatever he thinks that is. The person tweeting to him was clearly egging him on, starting by directly insulting him, and from what I read he made every effort to be cordial.

Maybe I could have sugar coated it, but I *WAS* sick of his pissing and moaning. I thought the comment about playing his last round ever at Nevin was childish and unnecessary. I felt like his constant belittling of the courses was taking away from the great battle we were seeing at the top.

Maybe the course selection wasn't the most representative of what a World Championship should be, but he should have kept his mouth shut and waited until after the tournament. Like the chosen courses or not, a lot of people put a lot of hard work into the prep for the event. As arguably the face of disc golf, he wasn't presenting himself well at all. He was very unprofessional and those should not be the actions of our sport's most recognizable figure.

The only thing I would change about the initial tweet was the #butthurt tag. That was probably a bit much.

If you do what you love for a living, you don't work another day the rest of your life. He's got it made.

I don't think its about not liking them, just their entitled attitude is what is being bashed on here. I cannot throw far either, but i would not complain about the courses and the city that put a ton of hard work to host the event.

Its great that people put in hard work on courses, but if the courses are bad, they arent immune from criticism. I happen to agree with the pros here, and i dont think we need to limit players opinions just because they differ

Also at Bradford on Wed we had to wait for the cards to show up to find out our tee assigments and when they arrived we had only 15 minutes until tee off. But i was assigned hole 9 which is pretty much as far away as possible. 3 of the 4 players on my card got there after the two minute warning. I had to run flat out to get there in time. So in Charlotte this means we were all drenched in sweat and unfortuantely had no time for practice throws or putts. I just think the very nice and helpful TD's at each course weren' locals and didn't understand that this could have been an issue. .

As an Assitant TD at bradford that day I was the one who had to swap boards with nevin between rounds. The problem seemed to be nevins rounds took much longer to complete than Bradfords so when I got the with the fully shuffled board and called the TD to tell him I would be back shortly I did not anticipate that nevin would not have scores in like we did. I had to help Tick(Nevin TD) out by shuffling the nevin(B Pool) board before we left while they did scorecards for the nevin rounds. By the time I let Ed( the TD) know we were on our way back and were running late he had already set the time for 215. It was a lack of comunication and anticipation of the time it would take on my part(with construction on 115). I tried my best to help the late folks out and even ran out with some to show them the cut through access road that splits the course. Im sorry for the problems it may have caused you guys in the B pool.

Hope you enjoyed bradford otherwise. it was great seeing everyone playing the course that schlep, stan, myself and many others put hours in to build and get ready.

Its great that people put in hard work on courses, but if the courses are bad, they arent immune from criticism. I happen to agree with the pros here, and i dont think we need to limit players opinions just because they differ

These courses aren't bad, by any means. These courses favored people who could throw more accurately than far. That's why Avery is pissed. Do you really think he'd be saying this if he had won?

You have to remember these top pros don't like tight technical courses, they'd much rather play big open courses like fountain at the memorial. They don't like making "golf" shots that require finesse and shaping lines. They'd much rather air out a destroyer 400' on a hyzer.

okay, if it was me complaining no worries there, my girlfriend and my friends may hear it but that is it. Avery and the other "pros" have a ton more followers and affect the disc golf community with their actions and words. To do this on faceebook and twitter is not professional in the least, especially for the biggest names in this sport. Opinions are fine and all but should be shared in a better fashion rather than bashing an entire city and their courses.

i enjoyed the 5 different courses i played quite a bit, not sure what "worlds caliber" means but they were all challenging in one way or another and i am not sure what else could of been done to make them "worlds caliber" if they arent already but i didnt play nevin so i cant speak to that one but i doubt it was much different than the rest...

Job Wilson - AEDGC ‏@aceeaglejdw
@Aviar7495 Furthermore, whoever wins.. Is their championship not as high caliber as those who played on higher caliber courses?
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
21 Jul Avery Jenkins ‏@Aviar7495
@aceeaglejdw No...

Paul McBeth isn't a real World Champ, I guess.

pretty sure its his choice to be on the road. :twocents:

Charlotte is excellent golf. Avery is being dumb because he lost.

It's okay though, we can go put the worlds in california, and he won't win that either(again)

This worlds will likely have the highest SSA of any worlds ever, so I'm not sure why the hardest courses in the history of the event wouldn't be worlds calliber.

okay, if it was me complaining no worries there, my girlfriend and my friends may hear it but that is it. Avery and the other "pros" have a ton more followers and affect the disc golf community with their actions and words. To do this on faceebook and twitter is not professional in the least, especially for the biggest names in this sport. Opinions are fine and all but should be shared in a better fashion rather than bashing an entire city and their courses.

I applaud Avery for having the guts to say these things, otherwise these types of courses will continue to be installed and our sport goes downhill. We need higher quality courses with a mix of open and tight, and when something is challenging it needs to be realistic, not just luck. The designers need to know they will be called out for making stupid tight technical courses. "Challenging" does not just mean hitting a 5' gap to a 90 degree turn in the woods, but everyone on here seems to think so.

I want to throw out some special thanks to the guy at Nevin who was installing the benches just a day or two before the tourney and was there I think every day doing course work, like picking up fallen branches from all the storms.

Matt Keatts - 2009 Am Worlds Champion.

Co-Designer with me and Stan and Co-Builder with me at Nevin. Couldnt have Charlotte DG with out people like him.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts