• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What are the best throwing putters of all time?

What is the best throwing putter of all time?

• Wizard

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Aviar

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Big Bead Aviar

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Luna

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Envy

Votes: 53 30.1%
  • Proxy

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Jokeri

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Judge

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Crown

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rhyno

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Scale

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Pure

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Other(write in the comments)

Votes: 32 18.2%

• Total voters
+1 for classic roc.

Johansen is the best putter thrower I know. He uses a Banger GT off the tee for anything under 300.

Lizotte parked the 490' WACO hole 18 across the water with a P3X.

I think there is a generational aspect here too. I have 4 specific driving only putters in my bag, and none of them will ever be putting putters. May be a chicken/egg discussion, but again, putters becoming available in premium plastics changed the game. Plenty of golfers 5-10 years older than I am don't carry putters besides putting only. Typically less midranges too. They don't throw putters, I don't throw fairways at 50% power on 250' holes. Neither is "correct", just differing approaches to the same problem. Not entirely sure that larger bags (I see you, Feldy) don't share some blame/responsibility.
I totally have an "old school" approach to this stuff. I've got a handful of premium plastic putters but they have never stuck. I still cycle base plastic putters like it's 1993. :\

If we're not considering the Zone a putter, I'll vote for the Voodoo. I used to love that disc for approaches and short drives when I used to bag them.

I guess I subscribe to the same bag building philosophy as Three Putt; I don't want to carry a bunch of different putter molds. When I stopped putting with Voodoos, they got pulled from the bag entirely. I bend the rules for the slow utility disc slot. I carried a Zone for a long time and now bag a Stego. No way I'd want to putt with either disc.

If we're not considering the Zone a putter, I'll vote for the Voodoo. I used to love that disc for approaches and short drives when I used to bag them.

I guess I subscribe to the same bag building philosophy as Three Putt; I don't want to carry a bunch of different putter molds. When I stopped putting with Voodoos, they got pulled from the bag entirely. I bend the rules for the slow utility disc slot. I carried a Zone for a long time and now bag a Stego. No way I'd want to putt with either disc.
I lost my putting Wiz on the first hole of my snow round yesterday throwing a 2nd drive on a 180' hole so I putted all 9 holes with a zone. It's surprisingly workable at least if you suck like me and assume anything outside 20ish feet is a bonus. Stego is a bit much tho

If that is true the Rat needs to be a putter then, same for the Gator/Cayman/Motor and the Spider (only made in Star now) as well as the Skeeter.

I voted Aviar and Wizard. I would need to review Threeputt's past posts to remember the history, but aren't those basically the originals? People have been throwing them for 1-2 decades, and still throw them. Anecdotally, the best putter throwers I see (on the course) are throwing Wizards or Aviars. Wizards don't get a ton of pro love simply because Gateway doesn't have a strong sponsorship game, but there are definitely pros out there bagging them.

Most of the others on the list came in quite a bit later, right? To call the Envy, Proxy, or even the Ion the best seems unfair just because they haven't been around as long. By the same token, I think it would be ridiculous to put the Luna in that category. Even a Judge or Pure just hasn't been around long enough.

By the way, I'm still between Bill Russell and Michael Jordan for "best basketball player of all time." I'll wait until Monday to entertain a quarterback discussion ;)

You are forgetting one that has been around a very very long time, Classic ROC. Yeah Classic mold was gone for a bit in 1980's when the modern ROC took off as a new mold but from what others have said the Classic ROC was back in the very early 1990's only to fully disappear in 2006-2007 and come back as a limited run disc when Innova started this idea of limited run discs but only in Star which is fine for a disc. Another is the #2 upshot by Lighting a near clone of the Classic ROC but neutral that filled a void during the gap of no classic ROC for lots of the longtime players. Yeah it is debatable about these two molds if they are midrange or putter due to how they are labeled by the companies, one as a strictly a long putter/uphill putter (#2 upshot) and the Classic ROC bouncing from putter to midrange and back to putter then to midrange as it is since the mold became a limited disc mainly due to using the ROC name as its selling point for new players.

I can't vote for a gyro mold because you get exactly one flight from them due to no cycling potential. I need my driving putter to cycle and cover three shots.

Out of the listed options I picked Wizard because it does everything I need. It starts off slightly OS, beats in predictably to US, and has good range. It also has a great rim for my hands and isn't too deep; BB aviars and Challengers come out of my hand weirdly.

I would instantly pick the Classic Roc if it was available. I would also be okay with picking the XD. If I wanted to be pretentious I would vote Deuce or Hammer. The small diameter Hammer really was a great disc though, pretty much a glidey 80's Bullfrog.

I can't vote for a gyro mold because you get exactly one flight from them due to no cycling potential. I need my driving putter to cycle and cover three shots.

Out of the listed options I picked Wizard because it does everything I need. It starts off slightly OS, beats in predictably to US, and has good range. It also has a great rim for my hands and isn't too deep; BB aviars and Challengers come out of my hand weirdly.

I would instantly pick the Classic Roc if it was available. I would also be okay with picking the XD. If I wanted to be pretentious I would vote Deuce or Hammer. The small diameter Hammer really was a great disc though, pretty much a glidey 80's Bullfrog.

Hammer is a beaded XD, right?

I typically prefer the premium plastics for my throwing putters because they just come out of my hand cleaner when I'm throwing them.

I definitely prefer grippier base plastics for putting but for throwing the additional traction of the base plastics just doesn't work for me.

It makes perfect sense to me to use premium plastic for putters that are going to be thrown on a regular basis.

I was just explaining my thoughts not that everyone should look at it the same as I do.

The reason I feel that way is because I played for many years when all there was was one type of plastic, what is now considered base plastic or DX for Innova. The mind set I got from throwing that plastic and nothing else is why it makes no sense to me.

I could see using a premium plastic putting putter if you routinely hit Brooklyn on the chains. Premium plastic gets less chain action and helps it sit down on the wrong side of the pole.

It makes perfect sense to me to use premium plastic for putters that are going to be thrown on a regular basis.
I mean, it's a "you do you" thing.

I know a lot of people who have picked up the game in the last 10-15 years that consider base plastic garbage and won't use it. They want a disc that will stay the same for a long time through multiple tree hits.

I started playing when base plastic was the plastic; it was all we had. The fact that discs changed flights over time was just a thing you couldn't do anything about, so you could deal with it or quit. So I dealt with it and it doesn't bother me. I learned to cycle, so I actually depend on it.

If I had started playing 10-15 years ago, I wouldn't have needed to deal with it. I would have had options that I didn't have when I started playing. Would I have ever bothered to use as much base plastic and cycle discs? Who knows?

For me personally, I remember throwing the Champ Aviar and having a problem with it skipping a lot more than I wanted out of a disc that I was throwing at distances where I should reach the basket. I would throw it where I was used to throwing my Aviars, but it would skip and whizz off away from where it landed off the compacted soil near the basket. I could have stay committed to the disc and try to adjust for that, but I already knew that I could just not throw that disc and the problem went away.

Well, for me, I've thrown aces with the Aviar, Banger GT, Pure, Roach, and the Zone, but 1/4th of all my aces are with my trusty Vibram VP's. I've got seven of them, and they might never wear out, so they're going to continue to be thrown...

However, I've been most impressed with how some of the local gang can tee off using the Rhyno. There's one fella around here who is deadly out to about 350' with his. I'm flabbergasted watching him throw a putter further than I do my drivers.

As far as fairly recent discs...

Kastaplast Reko is really good.
Streamline Pilot is a great flying putter when thrown with some speed.

I play many trees and sharp/hard rocks.. Premium is just something I've had to get used to. Sure I loved my soft magnet especially at month 2-5 but then there was this tree hit. Had 3 pro-D buzzz's lightly used, they made it maybe 1 month.

I love a softer plastic but I use plasma envy for approach and putting.

Happy to see envy in the lead :D

Latest posts