• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the distinct categories of discs in your bag?

MrHighlandPark I would suggest that you learn your Leopard, Buzz and Aviar well then see what kind of shots you are having trouble making. For example, you may find that you can't really use the Buzz for midrange Anhyzer shots, it is not really a good disc for this, and so you might want to add a Wasp or Roc eventually. However, until you have played for a couple of months consistently you will not know what shots are missing and might just fill your bag with some "extra" plastic. I would suggest a stable fairway driver like the Teebird and a beginner distance driver like the Valkyrie if you are looking to add a couple more discs to the mix early on. Good luck and welcome to the sport.

Thanks for the great replies.

I have Joe's chart as well as the charts from Innova and Discraft. My opinion thus far (and I'm well aware that I could still be very ignorant as I'm new), is that these companies have a need to keep inventing new discs to stimulate sales, even if they're barely different from the ones that they already sell. I'm oversimplifying to make a point, but let's say they have a disc that goes 350 feet at full power and another one that goes 360 feet at full power - do they really need to invent one that's halfway in between, as if there are throwers who are so finely calibrated that they'd benefit from having all three discs?

It's to the point where their marketing departments can't even create verbiage that describes discs distinctly from one another. "A great disc for all purposes." "Also a great disc for all purposes." "Great for beginners and pros."

Or maybe there really are important differences between each disc, but they have a bad marketing department that doesn't know how to describe them in words?

The advice to buy multiples of the same disc makes sense to me, and I actually ordered a second Buzzz last night because I like my first one so much (both as a backup, and just to have an extra disc for throwing in the field).

To give an idea of my armspeed, I finally measured my throws last night by looking at a satelite photo of my field. I have a weak arm still, and I'm throwing my Leopard 180-220 (220 being a real good rip for me; 200 being pretty consistent), my Buzzz around 175, and my Aviar P&A maybe as far as 160ish.

So obviously for me, there are a couple categories of drivers that don't make any sense yet, so there are fewer categories of discs for me than for most of you. But I also don't want to buy a bunch of other drivers that do exactly what a Leopard does just because they are within my power range.

I ordered a Vision last night because I read on here that it's easy for beginners to throw, and Joe's chart rates it with more distance than a Leopard, but still with a low power requirement. So it's possible that that could add a new category to my bag, but then again, if I'm able to consistently throw it farther than my Leopard, I don't see why it wouldn't just replace the Leopard.

GREAT job sticking with discs that compliment how you throw. You may not be able to throw with the big guns, but you seem to pick your discs as smart as they do.

As far as me, I have 2 sets of categories I go for, with many specific divisions within that.

Backhand/forehand
Max Distance drivers- overstable, Stable, and understable.
Distance Drivers-overstable/stable, and understable.
Fairway Drivers-Overstable, Stable, and understable.
Mid-Range- Super overstable, slightly overstable, stable, slightly understable, and super understable.
-Putter-stable.

"Trick" Shots
Distance Hammer/Thumber-Slow flipper (overstable) and a fast flipper (understable)
Fairway Hammer/Thumber-Slow and fast again
Mid-Range hammer/Thumber-Just one disc does it all here.
Max Distance Backhand Roller-just something understable.
Distance Backhand Roller-Same as above.
Mid-Range Roller-Something slightly understable and something really understable.
Spike Hyzer/Grenade-an overstable, poorly gliding fairway driver.
Approach flick roller-overstable Driver.

That may sound like a lot of different discs and whatnot, but I only carry 14 discs, and i'm only looking to fill 2 of those slots. Plenty of discs fill in more than one spot (There are 4 discs that take up 3 spots each), although I am always looking for new discs to replace any spot.

I will say this too, because it is important. I only add new slots as I learn new shots. I'm still learning 2 of those (as in I can't throw them yet, and I will only try them if there is no way I can throw another shot in the bag). and there are 2 others that I still don't have all the kinks worked out of, although I could throw them in a round if need be.

I only carry 14 discs

I have been thinking of dropping down to exactly 14 discs, as in ball golf you can only have 14 clubs, I was thinking disc golf should follow the same path and was thinking of trying it. I usually carry around 25 discs, sometimes more and I usually only use around 15 or so depending on the course of course.(lol)

I field test all of my discs, that way I make sure I have no overlap. I also like to have a disc for each shot. That is why I carry 16 discs. Two are floaters.

I think there should be a rule just like in the PGA that you should only be able to carry "x" amount of discs. 14 is a pretty good number, thats what the PGA uses for amount of clubs

I think there should be a rule just like in the PGA that you should only be able to carry "x" amount of discs. 14 is a pretty good number, thats what the PGA uses for amount of clubs

Exactly what I was trying to get at, yes I love this idea.

Me too, I mean really I dont see a reason for carring anymore. Learn how to throw different shots and 14 discs should be more then plenty to do that. I have that many and probably 4 to 5 could go away because I they dont get used

I am down to 14 discs because I got a new bag. My old bag was an old backpack with a small cardboard box stuck in it. It worked well, but once I won a bag, I ditched it. The new bag can't hold quite as many, so I thought about what discs I could get rid of, and I haven't stopped thinking about it, so I just keep taking discs out.

I'm sitting just above 20. I've got a bunch of redundant ones though. I like the extras.

Thanks for the great replies.

I have Joe's chart as well as the charts from Innova and Discraft. My opinion thus far (and I'm well aware that I could still be very ignorant as I'm new), is that these companies have a need to keep inventing new discs to stimulate sales, even if they're barely different from the ones that they already sell. I'm oversimplifying to make a point, but let's say they have a disc that goes 350 feet at full power and another one that goes 360 feet at full power - do they really need to invent one that's halfway in between, as if there are throwers who are so finely calibrated that they'd benefit from having all three discs?

It's to the point where their marketing departments can't even create verbiage that describes discs distinctly from one another. "A great disc for all purposes." "Also a great disc for all purposes." "Great for beginners and pros."

Or maybe there really are important differences between each disc, but they have a bad marketing department that doesn't know how to describe them in words?

The advice to buy multiples of the same disc makes sense to me, and I actually ordered a second Buzzz last night because I like my first one so much (both as a backup, and just to have an extra disc for throwing in the field).

To give an idea of my armspeed, I finally measured my throws last night by looking at a satelite photo of my field. I have a weak arm still, and I'm throwing my Leopard 180-220 (220 being a real good rip for me; 200 being pretty consistent), my Buzzz around 175, and my Aviar P&A maybe as far as 160ish.

So obviously for me, there are a couple categories of drivers that don't make any sense yet, so there are fewer categories of discs for me than for most of you. But I also don't want to buy a bunch of other drivers that do exactly what a Leopard does just because they are within my power range.

I ordered a Vision last night because I read on here that it's easy for beginners to throw, and Joe's chart rates it with more distance than a Leopard, but still with a low power requirement. So it's possible that that could add a new category to my bag, but then again, if I'm able to consistently throw it farther than my Leopard, I don't see why it wouldn't just replace the Leopard.

That's exactly what they do. You've got to stimulate sales somehow...I agree with you that it's confusing and silly, but that's just business, baby :p

I also agree that the marketing is rubbish. Almost every single disc is "the best disc EVER!" I especially hate on Discraft's site where all the sponsored players post, they say "this is my MAIN disc" and then you'll flip to another disc, and it'll be the same goddamn guy with the same goddamn comment--"this is my MAIN disc!" It makes my blood boil.

A Leopard is excellent. Play your local course with it until you get to the point where you can shape lines with it around nearly every obstacle. Learn to appreciate it. Then you can grant yourself the luxury of discs with different levels of stability. There are a good handful of players who only play with one disc ever and they don't have problems. Don't buy higher speed drivers or really overstable drivers just because other people do; learn to understand the discs yourself and structure your bag around your own understanding.

Most of all, have fun!

I carry 16, but two are floaters. Why should there be a limit?

I agree with you on this one. Limiting a golfer to carrying 14 golf clubs makes sense because those 14 clubs don't leave the golfer's hands during each shot, unless they get mad and snap one in half or throw it in a lake. Our discs have minds of their own and like to get lost or find water. Limiting discs can ruin your game fast on a water-heavy course.

I carry around 15-17 discs (but only throw about 6 or 7) depending on whether I'm learning a new disc or two and most are duplicates. I've lost discs during rounds without a replacement and added a lot of strokes to my score. Also, depending on wind conditions, your normal discs may not fly like you're used to them flying.

On the other side of the fence, as Rameka said above about learning one disc, there's a guy at our local tourneys who's always at the top of his card with one disc (I'd feel real bad for him if he lost it, though - bad enough to offer him a loaner replacement since he's a damn nice guy).

That's what's great about this sport. One disc or twenty doesn't matter. Just throw what you have and play your game.

Last edited:
A Leopard is excellent. Play your local course with it until you get to the point where you can shape lines with it around nearly every obstacle. Learn to appreciate it. Then you can grant yourself the luxury of discs with different levels of stability.
I like this advice except that it competes with my desire to own many drivers so that I can throw more than one in the field before I have to walk over and collect it. And I don't want to just buy six Leopards.

So maybe the comprimise is to own a variety of discs that I throw for practice, but stick to my core three discs when I'm playing the course. :confused:

Somebody earlier said that my Buzzz is bad for anhyzer and a Wasp might be better. Isn't that backwards? I thought a Wasp would fade even more to the left than my Buzzz, and therefore I'd use it to get more hyzer?

I like this advice except that it competes with my desire to own many drivers so that I can throw more than one in the field before I have to walk over and collect it. And I don't want to just buy six Leopards.

So maybe the comprimise is to own a variety of discs that I throw for practice, but stick to my core three discs when I'm playing the course. :confused:
If that's the case, then I'd buy a bunch of slower drivers and work with all of them. I'd check out the DX Cheetah, Polaris LS, DX Ace, D XL, D Cyclone and S Sabre. Work on throwing all of them on a variety of lines (straight, hyzer, anhyzer, 'S').

This thread got me thinking (for a change).

I've got the basic shots pretty much down and I can see the sense in practicing shots, not holes. So when I'm playing and I come up to the tee or my lie and see what's ahead, what goes through my mind is something like this:

"OK, so we've got this sort of a situation, need that sort of a disc. Now what in my bag do I feel comfortable with, making that shot?"

Sometimes I pick the wrong disc but I can't recall a time I've not been able to find something in there that will serve. Let's see what I've got, and what I usually use it for:

* Raging Inferno - overstable distance driver
* XL - straight distance driver
* Surge - (new - just learning it)
* Beat D-1 - rollers
* Bomb - long annies
* D-4 - downwind driver
* Roc - my "go-to" upshot disc
* Breeze - forehand upshots
* Glide - long upshots
* Challenger - putter

I've fooled around with other discs and do change inventory occasionally, but I guess the guiding principle is what I have confidence in that a disc will do, given my level of skill.

If that's the case, then I'd buy a bunch of slower drivers and work with all of them. I'd check out the DX Cheetah, Polaris LS, DX Ace, D XL, D Cyclone and S Sabre. Work on throwing all of them on a variety of lines (straight, hyzer, anhyzer, 'S').
I can't do a good S-curve yet, and I definitely expect it to take time with practice. I also wonder though, is the Leopard a bad disc to do this with? Would it be easier with a disc that fades harder? I have a couple holes in mind that I could shave a stroke off of, if only I could consistently curve around the left side of the tree and then come back (on this particular course, there's a rule against simply throwing a hyzer to the right of the tree).

I can't do a good S-curve yet, and I definitely expect it to take time with practice. I also wonder though, is the Leopard a bad disc to do this with? Would it be easier with a disc that fades harder?
Correct. The first few discs I mentioned were listed for that exact reason. It's also the reason you don't normally see me recommending Leopards to newbies.

With a little practice doing the right thing 'S' curves aren't all that difficult. I find the easiest way to pull them off is to throw on a hyzer, but finish with your shoulders flat to anhyzer. With a little practice and knowledge of your discs you can get a lot of different lines that way.