• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Are The Most Brutal Courses?

Stoney Hill is a walk in the park if you pure every drive and never get off the fairway and never hit the water....

We worked hard on those fairways, so we take offense when people don't use them.

Hence, the punishment.

(Life's also easier if you land flat on the fast greens).

Two of the other courses used have quite a few par 4's that are EASY 3's for the pros, some with runs at 2. There were 50 MPO that played Panther Creek & only 3 broke 60, all 3 with a 59.
The other courses are where they scored easy birdies going by the par stated on the tee signs, long holes that reward guys with big arms.
And also, if you're not familiar with the courses used, Kiwanis used for round 3 is mostly deuce or die holes. Very short holes that a solid pro should have 2 chances on just about all 18.

It looks like par at Panther Creek was 945 rated, tough but not silly tough.

Last years Winthrop Gold with the ropes is the toughest course to have a par round that I've played. Last year it looks like par rounds were in the 1020ish range. It's the only course I've played where I cannot picture a scenario where I shoot par golf. Might not help that I only throw 350' with the pucker factor of the ropes in place........

Last edited:
Last years Winthrop Gold with the ropes is the toughest course to have a par round that I've played. Last year it looks like par rounds were in the 1020ish range. It's the only course I've played where I cannot picture a scenario where I shoot par golf. Might not help that I only throw 350' with the pucker factor of the ropes in place........

The every shot OB year was re-throw with penalty (2010) was the hardest that course has ever been set up.

SSA was over 72 (72 was 1003) meaning a round of par was 1029.

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/9685

The every shot OB year was re-throw with penalty (2010) was the hardest that course has ever been set up.

SSA was over 72 (72 was 1003) meaning a round of par was 1029.

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/9685

Ouch! I think the fact that they've shaved a few strokes off of par since then (without much shortening of those holes) has helped offset the less punitive OB. Looks like last year:

Round 1 - Par 66 in B position: 1021 rated
Round 2 - Par 65 in A position: 1028 rated
Round 3 - Par 66 in B position: 1030 rated

For what Mike C's asking, I don't know that total strokes, SSA, or rating of a par round are necessarily the answer.

Total strokes or SSA can be a reflection of toughness....or length, or OB, or some combination.

Rating of a par round has a much to do with how par was set, as anything (see 2,914 other threads for more details).

I suspect he's looking for something a little more subjective.

Perhaps something like a course where throwing a good shot feels really good, and after a bad shot you're kicking yourself because you know you should have hit the line or landing area or green---you didn't miss due to luck, like a poke-and-hope, but because you didn't quite nail it, and you know you could have. A course with a lot of such holes.

Just a guess.

Winthrop Gold is without question very difficult but it is about the farthest thing you can get from "brutal" in my mind. Go OB? Just bring it inbounds and throw yet another shot from a perfectly manicured lie.

Renny kicked my ass in 2006 and Leviathan in MI had some almost impossible landing zones which I hated.

Latest posts