• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What determines a thumbs up or down to you?

If I even read that bathrooms are available or not, water, a few cautions on difficult holes, anything I can use but did not know without the review, I go thumbs up.

If I'm reading a review of a course I've never played, I give it a thumbs up if it makes me want to play it OR gives me some compelling reasons to NOT play it. I have a hard time rating reviews of courses I've played -- I tend to want to thumb up people who agree with me, and that's not really the point. I try to read reviews as if I'd never played the course before, to see if it gives me the information I need before I get there. That's also how I try to write my reviews; I don't have many reviews, but I've got no thumbs down yet (and now someone will go give me one just for general purposes ;) ).

NEVER say anything negative about the locals. I was 0-8 in my second review ever. But what prerube said, if you say anything that anyone disagrees with, you'll get :thmbdown:
Also if you are a local of a certain course and you show it, some people will give you thumbs down even if the review gives a lot of helpful info.

People will thumbs down for pretty much any reason (or no reason at all). Sometimes I think people go down the front page and thumbs down all recent reviews which is unfortunate.

I give a thumbs up if the review had information I found useful, even if I don't agree with their assessment. I will usually only thumbs down a review that lacks actual information. Many reside in the no comment zone though.

It seems to offend the locals when you say anything bad about their course no matter how factual and they do this site a disservice by giving you a thumbs down just because they work on the course.

I give a thumbs up if the review had information I found useful, even if I don't agree with their assessment. I will usually only thumbs down a review that lacks actual information. Many reside in the no comment zone though.

It seems to offend the locals when you say anything bad about their course no matter how factual and they do this site a disservice by giving you a thumbs down just because they work on the course.
Good assessment.
A thumbs down for a well constucted, if negative, review is not cool. But if the review has no info or is mindless trashing or praising, a thumbs down is appropriate.

The thumbs up and down should have the persons forum name attached to it, just like the review does.

The thumbs up and down should have the persons forum name attached to it, just like the review does.

There are way too many people who would retaliate for a thumbs down, it would turn into a bunch of people mad at each other and using thumbs downs against one another.

when i see your name attached OP:D

if the review has hole by hole i normally dont vote because that drives me nuts. if you have under 5 sentences you arent helping anyone. on the flipside you arent supposed to be writing a thesis either. I want to know about amenitites and the course itself: is there good signs, parking mix of shots, hows the rough, central location, interesting facts etc etc. Nobody cares that you didnt like a course cause you sucked that day. I dotn even look at the rating until i read the review.

I haven't given much thought into why I give a thumbs up or down, but now that I think about it I hate to say it but I'm one of those people that will thumbs down a well thought out review if I disagree with his opinions

I can't count how many times I saw someone rank a course way higher or lower then I would have and thought to myself "Wow, this guy is full crap" and then clicked the thumbs down button.

You brought up a good point, from now on I shall judge a review by the quality of thought put into it and how informative it is rather then whether or not I agree with his opinions

The world don't move, to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some!

It take different strokes to move the world........oooooooooooh

If I learned something about the course, so I know what to expect when I get there... thumbs up.

If I learned about what kind of round the reviewer had when he played the course... thumbs down.

Proper grammar and justification of their rating recieves a thumbs up from me.

Welcome to ENGLISHANDGRAMMARREVIEW.com

It sad that someone's spelling and layout can be more important than what they have to say about the course.

I wonder if this is the reason for some of my thumbs down that I have. I have often thought about why people seem to thumb down a good review. I tend to :thmbup: any review that gives me a decent amount of information. I could care less about spelling or any of that other B.S. (Bunk Stuff).

I did a very negative review for Big Sky's Peak course. Its 19 dollars, the holes are short, like WAY short, and its a 9 hole 'tone pole' course.

Anyway this one guy thought I was too hard on it and gave me a thumbs down, but then reviewed it himself and totally quoted me a bunch of times in his own glowing review of the place. In this instance, it was very clear who marked me down.

I will only thumbs down reviews if they are terrible reviews of a course I have already played. I will ONLY thumbs down the RATING if it is clearly an a-hole being an a-hole (Lake Casitas gets a 2 or something like that, or Conejo YMCA getting a 5).

I think most people thumbs down RATINGS they do not agree with, not the review. I would like to be able to thumbs down somebody, then email them why, but as mentioned before, I don't want to risk retaliation.

I think a great solution to all this would be to add a system that promotes its proper use. If you mark a review thumbs down, a box should appear requiring a short, anonymous explanation as to the rating. To add to this idea, if your sign-on can track updates of reviews you have previously thumbed negatively so you can change your rating, that would be kinda cool too.

I come out to Oklahoma about twice a year for a technical school for my job. When I do, my weekends are all about road tripping and course bagging. I need some information that will help me navigate a course, or find the first tee quickly. When someone gives me something that's useful, I will give them a thumbs up. Even if their spelling is bad and their composition isn't great, as long as they're trying to be useful and give me something I need, then I'll vote a thumbs up.

Most reviews I read aren't very helpful, but they're not necessarily bad either so I simply don't cast a vote either way.

Some though, are REALLY bad. They make my head hurt attempting to decipher what they're trying to say in a jumble of disconnected and incoherent thoughts. They spell course "coarse" repeatedly. They don't know the difference between to and too, or their, there and they're.

Only in the most egregious cases, ones so bad that they actually piss me off, will I vote a thumbs down. I've only voted down 3 or 4 times, but they REALLY deserved it.

I know not everyone is an English major. I certainly wasn't. I was a science geek and I despised English class in school with a passion, but at least I learned something. If you can't write above an elementary school level, then PLEASE either don't write reviews or at least realize you aren't an author and use a grammar and spell checker. They are freely available online.

After I read this thread I went back and looked at my reviews.

Early on I got a ton of thumbs down and now that I got a chance to go back and read them I can see I totally deserved every one of them. My reviews sucked

I remember working to try and improve so I would stop getting all the thumbs down and eventually I got my act together now they're a lot more few and far between. So in my case all the negativity was probably a good thing.

Now it seems that the majority of my thumbs down come when I have something negative to say about a course. I think the locals take offense

A good bit of it is just people disagreeing with your opinion

Drive by reviewer

Also since we're on the subject of negative reviews.

I reviewed a course a long time and I was pretty harsh. I wasn't trying to be, but looking back on it now I was probably a little out of line.

So when I went back and looked at a little while ago I noticed a little red car at the bottom of my review and when I ran the mouse across it, a little box that said "drive by reviewer" popped up.

What does that mean? I assume it's not good

I thumb down any review that fails to pay homage to the great Goat-god, Pan.

All of the goats on our course keep the grass nice and trimmed for perfect rolling conditions.

*The alter fire pit is far enough away from the pin on 13, that it will not influence any reviews.*

*The hole on hole 8; now....that's another story.*

I understand you getting upset about CERTAIN thumbs. I have had three times where I got thumbsdown and was pissed, but you can not get upset by your thumbsdown total. Mashnut is a great reviewer and he has over 100 thumbsdown.
I have 74 thumbsdown. I deserved 33%, 33% are understandable, and 33% are BS, you just take what you get and keep writing reviews.

You are right. There are just a certain percentage of thumbs down that you just have to accept. I have had a few of my review get thumbs down and it is a bit of a mystery as well, but some people are just going to do that sort of thing to you and you just have to let it slide. If you write good enough reviews, the thumbs ups will come to you.

Latest posts