• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What happened to the Phenix Quadshocks?

While the majority of us love to support disc golf businesses, straps will always be available. What leads me to say this is that Menards sells a set of gel straps to contractors for about $20 bucks. I personally know 2 golfers that use these straps very successfully. They've used them for a few years, they are holding up fine, are very comfortable. While I have 2 sets of quad-shocks, I have checked the others out at the store and if the need arises, I will probably choose those when looking to purchase another pair.

I have them on a latpro bag and they're very comfortable.

Went to Disc Golf Center yesterday. They didn't have any listed online but they had thei unused store display for sale. They took 25% off and they are now mine. Can't wait to test them when I get home. Cool store and helpful staff btw.

So how would these compare to the DGA gel straps? Not trying to threadjack but I need a new pair of straps and thought about either of these.

So how would these compare to the DGA gel straps? Not trying to threadjack but I need a new pair of straps and thought about either of these.

^This, sort of. Given the questions about future availability of Quadshocks, how would those with experience with both (preferably) or the DGA gels rate them?

I've had both in the past & I liked the Quad Shocks more than the Gel Strapz. I've heard of people having bad experiences with both but more so with the Gel. I've personally never had any tearing or anything like that with Quad Shocks. I don't know how the newer Quads are compared to the ones from a few years ago. I had a set that worked well for a few years without problems before I got my Grip bag last summer. The Quads held up great with my full loaded Discarrier. I apways felt my Quads were more durable than my Gel Straps. If I didn't use a backpack bag I'd use Quad Shocks. I've always considered Quads the best straps ment for disc golf. The Voodoo & Gel Strapz are the next best options after Quads IMO.

Thanks DiscinFiend. Now I just gotta figure out where to find some brand new Quads. I saw a couple on Ebay. Anyone know of an online discgolf company that would still carry the Phenix Quads? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

^This, sort of. Given the questions about future availability of Quadshocks, how would those with experience with both (preferably) or the DGA gels rate them?

I've had both. If you have a large bag with 20+ discs, i'd recommend the dga gelz (or the generic Brown Bag Tool Riders, which have more features than DGAs and significantly cheaper). They are more suited for weight bearing and will hold up longer. I used these on a fully bloated fade tourney bag.

For smaller, lighter bags the Phoenix quads are better. They are lighter but more form fitting, snug, and don't get tangled as much as the DGAs when you take them on and off repeatedly. I used these on a leaned out Gorilla Boy Chimp. Now, my GF has these on a Fade Crunch.

I have since gotten a Grip A-series and have never been happier.

I have had a pair since.. 2012 maybe? Only ever having used mine, I would never have guessed there were quality issues. They worked fantastic for me. I bought a Catalyst to replace my Fade bag, but I still have my straps. I never use them, and probably never will, but they were always good to me.

I've had both. If you have a large bag with 20+ discs, i'd recommend the dga gelz (or the generic Brown Bag Tool Riders, which have more features than DGAs and significantly cheaper). They are more suited for weight bearing and will hold up longer. I used these on a fully bloated fade tourney bag.

Thanks for the very helpful post. I carry a Fade Tourney myself. The Brown Bag looks great, I'm not too worried about what the tag says :D

If you can find the older phenix straps in good cond. nab those up. They have more cushioning and the fabric they used tho not as durable, it is a lot softer. 2 of my friends have the older ones and it feels like you dont have a bag on your back and shoulders. I have the newer ones and the fabric is a bit more rough and feels like I have sunburn on my shoulders.

Not to thread-jack here, but I may have some un-used quads up for sale pretty soon. When I bought them, they were a store display. While on display, one of the carabiners came up missing and the store replaced with a non-matching one. As soon as I have them all matched, I'll be listing them. (I hope that it's OK to mention this in a non-sale thread.)

It's such a shame that our sport lacks good reasonably priced gear. I paid forty some dollars for my Phenix quads that fell apart after one round. I've been impressed with the quality and construction of my Revo bag but for the price it darn well should be well made. The high end backpack style bags are close to 300 dollars. I'm a long distance hiker and i paid 300 dollars for my hiking pack that has way better materials, construction and warranty than these disc golf bags made by companies who know next to nothing about bag making. Basically we're paying big bucks for freaking garbage. The Golf Mahal is a good bag made by a reputable company but it's price is ridiculous. I can go by the best hiking pack made cheaper than i can buy a Mahal. This just doesn't sit well with me. I've spoken to reps from Osprey and Gregory who make high quality hiking packs and asked them to build and sell disc golf bags because there's a market for them. Maybe one day they will and Grips, Voodoo, and the rest of those overpriced pieces of crap will be a thing of the past.

^^^^^
Lot if truth there. I've got an absolutely top of the line Gregory backpack that I paid (I recall) about $250 for on sale at REI. It has a fantastic strap/suspension system, multiple compartments, pockets, attachments, etc. and will probably last me a lifetime of use. Too bad the disc golf bags don't compare.

But this is likely a supply and demand issue. I would love to know how many backpacks Gregory sells compared to how many DG bags any manufacturer sells. It's probably not even close.

I agree. I couldnt justify spending $200+ on a glorified backpack especially at the time I bought my gggt cart for $170 shipped. Why buy a Honda when I can disc golf in comfort with a Lexus at lower cost.

DANG!!?!! After 1 round? That makes me 2nd guess buying a set (if I could find one).:\

Mine have a bunch of rounds on them, without an issue so far. I have a hard time comparing my disc golf bag to my backpacking gear. Mostly because I'm an ultralight backpacker, so I'm certain everyone would hate a golf bag made like my ULA bags, as much as they rock on the trail

It's such a shame that our sport lacks good reasonably priced gear
my hiking pack that has way better materials, construction and warranty than these disc golf bags made by companies who know next to nothing about bag making. Basically we're paying big bucks for freaking garbage.

I agree. Most of the companies charge ~200$ just because everyone else does it. We deserve better bags for 200$.

For every one disc golf backpack sold there are at least 100 backpacks sold for others purposes. We are a small niche. Companies like Gregory and osprey have a much much larger audience and this helps to keep their costs Down. Not a whole lot we can do about it, the sport has to grow big time for the cost of these bags to come down. either way no company out there can make a bag like gorilla boy!!!gb4l!! I'll pay his prices again and again because there is so much love in every stitch and they are super high quality.

You can pick up exact copies of quad shocks at any electrical supply store for 15-20 Canadian dollars. My buddy picked some up and they are exactly the same electricians use them with their tool pouches.