• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What happened to the Phenix Quadshocks?

Garryjercia

Bogey Member
Did I miss something? I heard that they had a crappy run or two, but has the production stopped altogether?

Get a grip bag. Your shoulders and back Will thank you for years. :) or get the voodoo straps.

Wondering the same thing.
Thought about getting a Phoenix bag at one time.
Got a Grip A-series instead.
The Champ used to rock a Phoenix bag, had a Grip at the USDGC.

Its been at least since early December, thats when I was lookin for quads...

Considering the move so many players are making to backpack style bags, and considering even a number of the strap attached bag makers are making equal quality straps and cutting into their market share, it wouldn't be a surprise that they went OOB.

Glad I have a spare set though.

Considering the move so many players are making to backpack style bags, and considering even a number of the strap attached bag makers are making equal quality straps and cutting into their market share, it wouldn't be a surprise that they went OOB.

Glad I have a spare set though.

I can see them slowly being phased out. :\

The set I had (older run) the shocks on both sides ripped and I had to use keyrings on both sides to hold them together

I had contacted Phenix about repair/replacements and they pretty much shrugged it off and told me to go to a seamstress to get them fixed...

So after that I went and bought a Grip when they were on sale.

Huh. I had a seam rip on one of the straps second round, and haven't gotten around to making a claim on it. Guess I won't bother with it now.

They are still there. I called them today and the guy told me they are waiting on their supplier to make them and give them a date they will be in stock again. Maybe a new manufacturer held up production or something?

Huh. I had a seam rip on one of the straps second round, and haven't gotten around to making a claim on it. Guess I won't bother with it now.

I had nearly the same thing happen this past September with a brand new set of Quads. The elastic "shock" part on one side came un-stitched and tore off. Packed those straps with the rest of my stuff away for winter and haven't yet asked Phenix about replacing them.

I may just see if a taylor could sew them up for me. I am willing to give Phenix the benefit of the doubt on this set of straps because my last set from them are still kicking after 4 full tournament seasons.

for their company's future I hope they are working on a backpack design
Because there are so many other strap manufacturers out there that the demand has completely gone away for Phenix?? :\ The demand for quad straps isn't going to go away just because there is an upward trend in backpack style bags. They'll always have a niche in the market.

The fact is, and isolated stories of defects aside, Phenix is one of the most popular and reputable brand of bag straps out there. Comparing to some of the other brands out there, you can see why. I've had mine for 4 years now and they're still super solid, showing no real signs of wear other than a little discoloration (which is to be expected), but nothing that would make me swear them off entirely. I even have a backpack and I still reach for my Juju/Phenix setup way more often.

:thmbup:
Because there are so many other strap manufacturers out there that the demand has completely gone away for Phenix?? :\ The demand for quad straps isn't going to go away just because there is an upward trend in backpack style bags. They'll always have a niche in the market.

The fact is, and isolated stories of defects aside, Phenix is one of the most popular and reputable brand of bag straps out there. Comparing to some of the other brands out there, you can see why. I've had mine for 4 years now and they're still super solid, showing no real signs of wear other than a little discoloration (which is to be expected), but nothing that would make me swear them off entirely. I even have a backpack and I still reach for my Juju/Phenix setup way more often.
I agree Phenix Quad Shocks are great, they're the best bag straps I have ever used. Before I got my Grip A-Series bag I used an Innova Discarrier with back straps for years. I tried pretty much every bag straps on the market & the Quad Shocks were by far the best. I have to agree with scarpfish. The rise in demand for backpack style bags has to have cut into the sale of back straps. There still are people who carry more traditional style bags with back straps but that number has gone down significantly in the last couple of years. Eventually smaller backpack bags will be available that cost as much as traditional bags with back straps. A good example of this already happening is the Salient Catalyst. This shows that backpack bags can be made in a price range that people who would usually buy a traditional bag with straps can now get a backpack bag. I agree that there's a niche in the market for bag straps. Though it is a possibility that they will eventually be an uncommon sight on the course or even completely phased out. Bag straps may never be completely phased out but it could eventually get to a point where only a couple of companies make bag straps because the demand isn't high enough to make it worth making them. From my own personal experience & from what I've heard is that a majority of people find back style bags more comfortable than traditional bags. This has got me wondering, why do you reach for your Voodoo Juju more than your backpack bag? What backpack bag do you have?

As long as backpack bags stay upwards of $150, I don't see strap attached bags ever going away. My Innova Competition bag + Phenix straps went for about $85.

This has got me wondering, why do you reach for your Voodoo Juju more than your backpack bag? What backpack bag do you have?
I have a Grip that really just sits around collecting dust unless I play somewhere where I need to carry extras. While it's a GREAT bag, I find it to be a bit clunky and not as easy to get discs in and out of while carrying, even if I have it slung over one shoulder. This is one of the main reasons why I usually reach for my smaller bag over the Grip. I can carry the Juju like a sling bag with the quads, which makes it easier to select discs directly from/put discs back into the bag without having to set it down. If I need to hike it, then just throw the straps on, backpack style, and hike it. Better versatility (for me at least) and the smaller bag doesn't bother my back one bit with the quads.

This is what happened to my first set during the first round I played with them:

I took them back to Disc Stalker where I purchased them and they gave me another set of shocks. My second pair of shocks have been good since I replaced the terrible quality rings. The rings were getting very rusty from moisture/sweat.

I found out later, when talking to the owners, that they contacted Phenix about getting a replacement and they never even responded. Disc Stalker ended up taking it to the dry cleaners next door to get repaired and then re-sold them as used.

Phenix is local shop for me and they are pretty nice guys. They hooked me up with club discounts from day one and have always been super friendly. Run into the owner on local course some times. They are just a disc shop and have someone manufacture the quads. I was in over Christmas and on the market for some quads.......one pair left in pink. I ended up pulling the harness off my ball golf bag and it works well. They moved the shop around the holidays. That expense , mixed with off season , probably meant a delay in the cash to make an order. They have a nice shop with a big selection, and I don't think they will disappear any time soon. (Even if they didn't have the quads). What do the quads cost and how many do they sell in a year? I am sure it's not as much as some might think. And not the only item keeping the lights on . They also support local dg events n clubs, host a winter putting league inside the shop, chilly cook offs.......typical dg stuff.

While the majority of us love to support disc golf businesses, straps will always be available. What leads me to say this is that Menards sells a set of gel straps to contractors for about $20 bucks. I personally know 2 golfers that use these straps very successfully. They've used them for a few years, they are holding up fine, are very comfortable. While I have 2 sets of quad-shocks, I have checked the others out at the store and if the need arises, I will probably choose those when looking to purchase another pair.

Latest posts