• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the worst shot you've ever thrown?

AbstractLogic

I'm sure everyone on this forum aces every hole so maybe this is a stupid topic :p however I was wondering what the worst stroke you have ever made is. It can be a casual round or something more serious. Feel free to include a course and hole number.

I'll start off with a forehand roller attempt I had tried while my opto XXX was still wet. It went about 10 feet in front of me before hitting a tree trunk and proceeding to roll very quickly BACKWARDS past the teebox and about 40 feet down a hill behind me.

I had about a ten foot putt in a playoff for my first Am 1 win. I choked and hit the cage. Lost on the next hole.

I've had plenty of drives that as soon as they leave my hand I just stop and say "what in the world was that??" But none that really stick out.

I've witnessed a few bad ones too:

Saw a guy going through practice motions on the tee when the disc slipped out and went into the woods behind him. He counted the stroke and took an additional penalty stroke to retee.

Another one was a girl that griplocked so bad that she threw the disc straight backwards off the tee. There was an OB parking lot right behind, but luckily she hit a fence board to keep it in.

I was playing a best/worst shot dubs tourney in 50 mph winds and bigger gusts. Dude tried to throw a giant spike hyzer and it ended up about 200' behind the tee.

I've thrown it behind me once and a couple times jump putted directly 90 degrees from my hand.

This sport gives you plenty of opportunities to mess up!

This shot is a great example of why you stand behind the player currently about to throw. I was playing a casual round with a few buddies and my girlfriend. When we play casual, it's very casual. My girlfriend was shooting an approach shot on a long, tough par 5 at my local course. The fairway is about ~30 ft wide with woods on the right and a creek on the left. I know she was trying to avoid fading it to the left and into the creek when she released (w/ a bit of griplock) late and the disc just drilled one of our buddies who was standing ahead and to the right...right in his upper abdomen. Ouch! After we made sure he was ok, we all had a good laugh.

Griplock!!!! Hole 4 teepd to Hole 8 Basket. Must have been the gravitational forces from the wormhole.

Wow, suddenly my worst of late doesn't seem so bad. Played a hole with a tight fairway with trees right off the tee. One of the very first trees is about 8' off the tee and about 2.5' into the "fairishway" directly in front of the tee. Early release on throw resulted in nailing the first tree dead on. Disc hit the tree, hit the deck and rolled back to the tee, stopping 2 feet short of the tee. Total net on drive....two feet.:wall::doh::wall:

:eek:

Worst shot I've ever thrown was my first ever throw. My friend let me borrow his wife's favorite Leopard, and I ended up tossing it 150ft. to the left over a fence onto a roof, and the people weren't home to get it down. Ended up just paying him for the disc.

On a 212' hole with some trees at the start... Drive nailed a branch about midway down the fairway, upshot landed 4 feet from the pole. Rushed my putt and basically grip locked a 4 foot putt, hit the chains on the right and pushed out. I took a 4 and none of my throws were longer than about 100 feet. Worst 4 I've taken.

Crooked Creek #4. I hit a tree off the tee. Disc fell, rolled backwards to behind tee, on onto O.B. walkway. I was so dismayed I played it where it went O.B., instead of re-teeing.

Stoney Hill #11. In a casual round, saw someone fanning the tee with his disc to clear leaves when disc slipped from his hand and went straight left, into creek that runs along fairway.

Stoney Hill #16-Diamond. Saw someone throw his beloved Comet into the pond, which isn't that hard. He got mad and spiked his metal mini, which took a hop and a roll and went into pond as well. Not sure how that fits into this thread, but I always love remembering it.

lost a kc pro teebird on box 1 in FL grip lock and straight into someones backyard. couldn't find it. :/

First ever PDGA tourney, first throw ever in a PDGA Tourney on hole 10 at Williamsburg DGC. I get up to throw and with a short run up i let it rip only to hit a tree about ten feet to the right of me and it sent it over the fairway to the bushes on the other side.:wall:

I started when I was 14, nobody taught me to throw. On (what is now) hole #12 at Alex Clark Memorial DGC I tried to throw backhand with some sort of driver (cheetah?) on this 160' hole. I turned it over into a roller and a slight left to right wind kept it on edge. It rolled through a wooded area past the next fairway and basket and stopped at least 500' away.

I started when I was 14, nobody taught me to throw. On (what is now) hole #12 at Alex Clark Memorial DGC I tried to throw backhand with some sort of driver (cheetah?) on this 160' hole. I turned it over into a roller and a slight left to right wind kept it on edge. It rolled through a wooded area past the next fairway and basket and stopped at least 500' away.

Just for fun, red is the hole, blue is the shot.
attachment.php

Attachments

• bad shot.jpg
    bad shot.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 213
Hole #8 at Lake WaZee. My drive hyzered out close to a large lake on the left side, leaving me a 150' anny upshot to the basket. I pull out an X Comet, as the footing was a little sketchy and I figured I'd power down a Comet instead of throwing a putter.

Instead of a little anny, though, I reverse pivot like a MF and throw a nose-up hyzer that goes about 100'.... Directly into the lake.

Ughhh... :eek:

Easy...

Round 4 of the Luther Britt Win or Swim in 2010.

(here's the course, btw. It was hole 15 - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1503#)

I'm kinda anal about throwing my good plastic in or around water. I always throw backups and random stuff on those holes. Well, we get to hole 15 and it's about a 320 foot straight hole with water on the left and the basket tucked behind Cedar trees to the right and right along a fence.

There are two holes to attack the hole when you are 100% a RHBH thrower like myself. You can either throw a huge turnover shot out over the water or throwing something dead straight. I had a nice beat in Sidewinder that I didn't care about so I decided to throw that so If I threw it poorly, I wouldn't care if it went in the water. The idea was to throw it with a lot of hyzer and have it flip late and hopefully park the hole.

As I was throwing, I grip lock power yank it way right. It goes soaring over the cedar trees and there is no chance it is going to be in bounds and it is cruising to the right and is now about 30 feet OB and only getting further. Well, it turns out that there was a warehouse about 200 feet inside this fence. The disc is going towards to the warehouse and SKIPS OFF THE ROOF over the warehouse. The warehouse is probably 2 stories high so this thing had to be going about 350 feet in the complete opposite direction of the basket.

I'm playing with a buddy of mine who starts laughing pretty hard. I then remind him that it was his sidewinder I threw. The laughing stopped. Except from me.

@giles---Bet when you found it, you wished it had been lost. How many throws did it take to get back to daylight?

Gosh, this is a "where do I even begin" kind of thread. I'm pretty sure that most of us have had more than one what the ef was that experience. It's always good to know that others share your pain though.

I have 2 of recent memory that stand out in my mind.

One is Mt Du Lac up in Minnesota. Exhausting beat down of a course in a ski park; you really feel like you've accomplished something when you're done. Either 4 or 5 has a really narrow pad with a couple smallish trees 2' off both sides of the front. Really tight right there, but wide open once you get 5' past the box. It seems like every time the last thing that I think is "don't hit that tree" the first thing I do is hit that tree.... which I did here. Ricocheted hard off of one, hit the other then caught an edge and the disc starts rolling backward down the hill. Didn't stop till it hit the bottom. Longest roller I've ever seen. Too bad it was directly down the side of a mountain. With the wife there to witness. It was a 'why do I even play this game' kind of moment. :confused:

Another similar deal happened close to home at Blue Valley. #15 has the basket on a steep slope that falls off towards an OB park road with big rocks lining the far side, then thick brush going even further down toward a creek at the bottom. I always lay up here b/c it's easy to shoot past and down the hill. Successful lay up leads to a bricked 10' putt and man, do Ions make good rollers when they catch an edge. Disc picks up speed down the hill, shoots through the smallest of gaps between the rocks lining the road and down into the jungle. Finally found it 20 minutes later almost at the creek, which was only about 250' feet away from the original 10' putt. I felt like such an idiot. :(

Anytime you fall down while throwing. In front of your buddies.

It was a big 2-day (3 round) tourney at Richmond Hill here in Asheville (2012 Mountain Sports Experience/Urban Skins). After 3 rounds I was tied for first with two other players. We had a throw-off to determine the winner only. Whomever didnt win would be tied for second no matter what. The shot was a closest to the pin on hole #1. First guy steps up & parks his drive next to the pin. Second player throws but his drive is not as close as the first guy. I was filming the pros in their playoff so I didnt have my bag with me. I ran back to the car & got a disc that I hadn't thrown all day. For whatever reason I chose this disc to be the one to get me the win! I threw the disc & it hyzered off way short & early and into the out of bounds area! Doh! Doh! Doh! :mad::mad::mad: