• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] What is your mandatory disc for making mando's?

Lighter comet, lighter cobra, beat roc...... I really like my comet and cobra for shorter mando or tunnel shots. I can easily pull a dead straight shot from a standstill with both of them for around 200. Eliminate the run up, and your that much more likely to hit the gap. Comet and cobra are 168g. Cobra is also star plastic , so it holds up well when I don't the gap.

i can't imagine getting my nova that car, but i suck at driving with it

I would spend part of an afternoon just on that one hole throwing nearly everything in my bag untill I figured it out. If its too low, try a roller.

You can make putters fly low lines. Its just how you throw it.

Otherwise, throw a slow mid/fast putter disc. Roc, Comet, Suspect, Envy, Wizard come to mind.

Throwing a fairway driver on such a hole can result in loss of accuracy, big kicks off trees and unwanted skips.

this is a stupid question though. its inferring that one has to have a special disc in their bag for mando's.

its a loaded question

why the hell would i pack one disc for squeezing between certain spots? it all varies.

I would throw a 180g midrange, a cryztal buzzz in my case or something with the fade seasoned out of it nicely. Max weight is important in this case because I feel like I can put it on a more consistent line, maybe at the sacrifice of distance.

If I'm hitting a tunnel off the tee through trees etc I'm more likely to throw a faster mid or fairway whereas if I'm trying to approach carefully from the fairway and there's less obstruction I'd throw a wizard or a roc.

At that distance, I'd probably be throwing one of my approach discs; either the Classic Roc thrown hard/flat or the XD on a hyzer-flip that won't fade. If I thought the ceiling was too low and I needed more glide, I'd do the Truth instead of the Classic Roc (again, thrown hard/flat) or the Meteor (instead of the XD) on a hyzer-flip. Really, it's all about the rest of the flight after making it through the tunnel (mandos in your case) and how much further you have to go to the basket.

We have a couple of tunnel shots on our local course that require considerable distance after making the gap (300-400ft shots); the longer the hole is the quicker I'll go to a hyzer-flip instead of trying to pure a flat hard rip dead straight. The Leopard (particularly Pro and GStar) is my go-to in terms of hitting a dead straight line on a hyzer-flip and finishing according to the power you've given it (either slight hyzer, straight, or finishing on a turnover). For even longer straight fliers I go with the Sword (again, hyzer-flip). But alas, I've rambled ...

I'm having issues with sticking to a fairway driver for a mando that requires a straight shot start to finish.
The hole is only about 150-200ft but low line trees, making me want a faster driver type disc instead of a mid or putter.

What discs do you all use, for straight shot mando's from varying distances?
drivers, fairways, etc.

I would throw a 180g midrange, a cryztal buzzz in my case or something with the fade seasoned out of it nicely. Max weight is important in this case because I feel like I can put it on a more consistent line, maybe at the sacrifice of distance.

If I'm hitting a tunnel off the tee through trees etc I'm more likely to throw a faster mid or fairway whereas if I'm trying to approach carefully from the fairway and there's less obstruction I'd throw a wizard or a roc.

this is why i'd throw a fairway as well, but i also agree with the guy who said that can cause kicks of trees, etc.

I went to the hole today, but was running out of daylight.
Star TL worked pretty well. also threw a lucid escape i just got, it was ok too, but more fade it seemed

also i finally threw a dx roc3, not on that hole but i think that would work well there too

i've thrown my fast putter (zone) but not much glide, i think a fuse would do well if you don't mess up

yea honestly i can agree with the star destroyer, almost seems like cheating
i'll try that with my trespass sometime

the thing is it's not just low ceiling. there's not only a mando tree but many other trees in the center fairway.

you really do need a precise throw.
i'm trying to be consistent here, and I don't really see it with a putter shot.