• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What to use for better grip

You can buy those chalk balls for less than 10 bucks on Amazon. Try it out, if you like it then get yourself a chalk bag for 20 bucks that you can use to hold it in strapped to your bag/cart, and for around 20 to 30 bucks you can buy a huge bucket of chalk to refill your chalk ball that will last for years I'd imagine.

There's a Prodigy chalk bag (no chalk) on Infinite Discs for $11.99. I got it for my chalk bag and really like it. It comes with a strap that you can use to attach it to your bag or cart, but I took the strap off and used a small carabiner through the loops.

Nice! A beeswax mini to aid grip!

I saw it on FB and asked if it comes in a bag or something to keep it from getting all over pockets. It comes in a wax bag, but they are working on a case for it.

I like the chalk bag that I have, but I might get this wax mini when it is in stock. Chalk works great for me, but in rain....I don't think it would work as well - but the wax mini might.

Here's what I've been using:

https://otbdiscs-15d7c.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_9936-7.jpg

In the summertime, I wear a wristband to prevent the sweat that rolls down my arm from getting to my hand. Really helps.
In the wintertime, I put away my Z and Proton plastic discs (I only throw Michigan manufactured discs) and throw ESP & Neutron only. The grip is much better in the colder weather.

Disc selection in winter time is huge. I have a bag full of beat up Gstar plastic that I use for my winter bag.

I think Discraft messed up discontinuing their ESP Flex line of discs, those were some great winter time throwers. The Z flex aren't bad but aren't as good out of the box in terms of winter time grip.

I guess they didn't want to compete with their Z flex sales with having ESP Flex? Not sure what their line of thinking is there.

I saw it on FB and asked if it comes in a bag or something to keep it from getting all over pockets. It comes in a wax bag, but they are working on a case for it.

I like the chalk bag that I have, but I might get this wax mini when it is in stock. Chalk works great for me, but in rain....I don't think it would work as well - but the wax mini might.

Beeswax has a higher melting point around 150F. Still a goner in summer hot car I'd think.

I tried out Max Wax last weekend at a tournament. I like it. And I won my division. I'm not giving Max Wax all the credit, but it didn't hurt.

Found another angle for grip. Was in the local music store picking up guitar strings and noticed Gorilla Snot guitar pick and drumstick grip. Disc golfers aren't the only people who need grip.

attachment.php

So looking for other beeswax grip, it just so happens one other group of people need grip:
attachment.php

Attachments

• FA568CD5-E839-4AEC-8C3E-4F4E4A49621D.jpg
    FA568CD5-E839-4AEC-8C3E-4F4E4A49621D.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I carry a bath towel with the last 1/4 of it wet. i wipe and dry the disc and hands before throwing. Seems to put enough moisture in the hands to maintain a grip. In the warmer months sweat seems to make the disc sticky on it's own, but I still wipe them to get any excess sweat off. Makes for a nice consistent pre-shot routine as well.

Even use pumice stone/sandpaper to smooth roughness. Hands aren't cracked and dry, just … worn… slick.

After too many years of dealing with this (and split fingers in winter), I asked a dermatologist about it. The recommended an exfoliating hand lotion. He said that my skin was too thick and that made it dry and that made it rough and that caused it to crack. For the past two years I use Eucerin Roughness Relief. It's marketed for daily use BUT I've found that to be too much as it wiped out my callouses completely. HTH

https://www.eucerinus.com/products/roughness-relief

2 or 3 times a year I like the give my discs a good bath. I found the SOS steal wool pads work best. They seem to take some of the built up sheen off the surface of the disc resulting in a better feel. Also all the discs in my bag look new after a good cleaning.

Attachments

• 81e5xzt+4SL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg
    81e5xzt+4SL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 10