• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What would is the ONE disc you start a beginner with?

165-170 g comet. Easy to throw straight, easy to shape hyzer and anhyzer and just plain fun to throw. Will teach the subtleties of manipulating the throw/disc for different shots. Can go 300, can putt with it if you are looking for a true one disc, beginner , disc. If your newb is suffering for the newb hyzer blues, I would put a stingray in their hands. Or, any other neutral flying mid in medium weight.

Really is hard to beat a Shark for beginners, but any somewhat neutral mid will do: Buzzz, Buzzz SS Comet, Roc, Warship, Fugitive, Ibex, Core, Axis, M3, M4... whatever brand and mold they like the feel of.

Nice bump. I'd give them a Neutron Axis.

It neutral enough to fly a variety of lines, stable for the wind, comfortable to putt with, and fast enough to keep them interested in driving it.

As much as i love innova, i started out with a lightweight buzzz and it was always the nicest flyer when i started out.
Id get some buzzzes below 170 for them.
Or just get some of each and let them pick what they want.

I say go fairway driver, ideally a disc you throw so if they don't like it you can have an extra backup disc, also a little understable is good. A ~150 gram Leopard is a perfect example, easy to throw with decent distance potential.

The first rounds people play aren't about perfect form or cleaning up OAT it's about having enough fun that they want to go again.

*OR if have some discs you need beat in a little let them use those.

I depends on if they want to be "good" at first, or want's to learn and be "punished" when they do something wrong. If they want to be "good", go with something understable. They will fly straighter and longer at low speed. If they want to see what they do wrong, give them something straight.

Nova, learn to throw that 250+ on any line you want and you'll already be a master by the time you start discing up.

Nova, learn to throw that 250+ on any line you want and you'll already be a master by the time you start discing up.

I've been playing for half of my life but have never thrown a Nova...is that why I'm not 1100 rated yet? Shucks.

Everything suggested already - Buzzz or Cobra is my suggestion (depending upon which feels better to them). First time I took my dad out I gave him a Star Kite to use and he was doing pretty well with it.

What would is?

No chance you're referring to Brian Regan, are you? :D:D:D:D

DX Shark or Panther probably. Either are pretty easy to grip and throw with some distance and accuracy. Either that or a P&A like an Aviar or Challenger.

I always start new players off with a DX shark and a base plastic putter of some sort. If they catch on quickly I'll give them a leopard, cheetah or gazelle depending on how they're throwing.

Pro Leopard all day! It was my first disc and still has a spot in my bag. Mostly for short thumber approaches and some backhand here and there.

There is no one disc. Just depends on their power and form. Power throwers with flat release get a DX Roc. Weak throwers with hyzer tendencies get dx wedge/stingray/leopard to play with. These are disc easily found in quantity at disc retailers. Also cheap.

If they are willing to put $50 on it they can get a bag and a three disc set.
Power: aviar/Roc/teebird
Weak: aviar classic/stingray/leopard
Done

Latest posts