• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Millennium abandoned the Sentinel?

DrBaartman

Birdie Member
One of my top 3 favorite molds Innova/Millennium has made is the Sentinel MF. Its fast yet glidey, and it goes far. Plus, the rim feels great in my hand. Turns out mixing a Cobra bottom and a Stingray top with a spacer in between gives you one of the sickest OS mids ever made.
Like most folks, I love the old San Marino Sentinels, but they are getting rarer and rarer, and my "fingerprintiest" ones have begun to crack in the rim from normal play. (Same with my "sweaty" and "fingerprinty" 11x discs)

1000003400.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, the Sentinel mold has been largely abandoned by Millennium, maybe resulting from a few really bad feeling runs of them (Ive felt em) and low sales. The 2013 Brinster runs of Sentinels are pretty nice feeling, but they were the last run of Sentinels I even remember (10 freakin years ago)

Will we see the Sentinel survive this over-saturated market?? I would KILL to see good-feeling new runs of them in Sirius, Lunar Glow, and especially Luster! A man can dream..

We gotta start a petition or something and save our MF'n SENTINEL!

Attachments

• 1000003400.jpg
    1000003400.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This may not be what you want to hear, but the Gila does Sentinel things super well and is available in 4 awesome plastic blends. The glow is my favorite.
I love RDG and bag Scales #4lyfe

I tried a bunch of Gila's, good disc..
but the concensus around here that they fly like Sanny Sentinels just isn't true at all (I'm sorry).

In my experience, the way the Gila behaves on anny and flex lines is totally different than a Sentinel. Sentinel rides a nice long forced anhyzer, Gila has more high speed stability and will not tolerate it like a Sentinel will.. only similarity I see between them is the dumpy-ish fade at the end. Sentinel has more glide. Gila will do tight flex shots, Sentinel wont do it the same way... idk, hard to explain.
I think they could compliment each other well, but a Gila is not too similar to a Sentinel if you ask me.

I get the feeling Millenium has to really prioritize a few select molds since Innova does their manufacturing. It's a shame since they have a really underrated line up.

I love RDG and bag Scales #4lyfe

I tried a bunch of Gila's, good disc..
but the concensus around here that they fly like Sanny Sentinels just isn't true at all (I'm sorry).

In my experience, the way the Gila behaves on anny and flex lines is totally different than a Sentinel. Sentinel rides a nice long forced anhyzer, Gila has more high speed stability and will not tolerate it like a Sentinel will.. only similarity I see between them is the dumpy-ish fade at the end. Sentinel has more glide. Gila will do tight flex shots, Sentinel wont do it the same way... idk, hard to explain.
I think they could compliment each other well, but a Gila is not too similar to a Sentinel if you ask me.
I've only thrown a couple of champ Sentinels and thought they were close, but there have been so many runs that could have been an anomaly. I'll differ to your judgement since you have probably thrown more of them in more plastics.

I get the feeling Millenium has to really prioritize a few select molds since Innova does their manufacturing. It's a shame since they have a really underrated line up.
Unfortunately, this is true.. explains why the last time we saw them getting some love was when Brinster (who is the only pro I know who throws them) was kickin ass in 2013..
They would much rather make a couple new molds for Calvin and advertise the crap out of that!

And their lineup IS underrated.. glad to see them filling out their control drivers though.

I've only thrown a couple of champ Sentinels and thought they were close, but there have been so many runs that could have been an anomaly. I'll differ to your judgement since you have probably thrown more of them in more plastics.
I have a feeling the runs tend to be finicky.. because some do have more stability than others, like the 2013 Brinsters vs the San Marino's..

They now have the Solstice (DT, Q, & Lunar Q runs so far) and before that the Taurus (Q and Luster Q runs only) in the OS Mid slot. I'm guessing they were attempts at replacing the Sentinel.

I think this lack of Sentinel runs may be due to Innova not wanting to run those old mold configurations with 'nose spacers'/shims. Probably caused some of the variability in how they molded up (along with newer plastic blends). The Stingray & Cobra molds haven't gotten much love either so maybe they are trying to replace/extend the life out for those mold pieces by only running them occasionally.

Gotta factor in that large diameter OS mids haven't been big sellers & popular for most any brand. Pro tour players aren't relying on mid ranges as much in general for the courses they play and in media coverage.

They now have the Solstice (DT, Q, & Lunar Q runs so far) and before that the Taurus (Q and Luster Q runs only) in the OS Mid slot. I'm guessing they were attempts at replacing the Sentinel.

I think this lack of Sentinel runs may be due to Innova not wanting to run those old mold configurations with 'nose spacers'/shims. Probably caused some of the variability in how they molded up (along with newer plastic blends). The Stingray & Cobra molds haven't gotten much love either so maybe they are trying to replace/extend the life out for those mold pieces by only running them occasionally.

Gotta factor in that large diameter OS mids haven't been big sellers & popular for most any brand. Pro tour players aren't relying on mid ranges as much in general for the courses they play and in media coverage.
Solid assessment here... all of these are most likely factors.. I remember the Taurus, basically another RocX3.

One of my top 3 favorite molds Innova/Millennium has made is the Sentinel MF. Its fast yet glidey, and it goes far. Plus, the rim feels great in my hand. Turns out mixing a Cobra bottom and a Stingray top with a spacer in between gives you one of the sickest OS mids ever made.
Like most folks, I love the old San Marino Sentinels, but they are getting rarer and rarer, and my "fingerprintiest" ones have begun to crack in the rim from normal play. (Same with my "sweaty" and "fingerprinty" 11x discs)

View attachment 315753

As far as I'm concerned, the Sentinel mold has been largely abandoned by Millennium, maybe resulting from a few really bad feeling runs of them (Ive felt em) and low sales. The 2013 Brinster runs of Sentinels are pretty nice feeling, but they were the last run of Sentinels I even remember (10 freakin years ago)

Will we see the Sentinel survive this over-saturated market?? I would KILL to see good-feeling new runs of them in Sirius, Lunar Glow, and especially Luster! A man can dream..

We gotta start a petition or something and save our MF'n SENTINEL!
Hey DrBaartman!

I am also a fan of the Sentinel MF. I purchased a used, dyed Quantum Sentinel MF from an Innova Pro in around 07. I loved the dye, but I hadn't tried the mold yet. Well, today it is still one of my fav. discs. The point I wanted to make is that I have acquired a number of them over time. This Quantum MF that I initially purchased was cast in the 11X plastic, and after all this time of throwing, it has minimal wear or damage. It is that amazing CE-ish plastic. I was able to find a few from a run done in 04 that is that same plastic. I have others that are this star type plastic as per your photos. I also throw the MS mids and have a number of them. I purchased some of the Quantum putters along the way also. I will be willing to part with some of these, if you were interested. Thanks Timo

The Solstice is an MD4.

I dont have experience with the Sentinel unfortunately.

The Solstice is a baller straight-stable mid. For me It replaced DD Verdicts and my short supply of Hyzerbomb Mortars. Comfortable in hand, holds pretty straight with power, nice forward carrying fade. Not dumpy. If I want a ranging shot or dumpy fade I throw a Zone.

Hey DrBaartman!

I am also a fan of the Sentinel MF. I purchased a used, dyed Quantum Sentinel MF from an Innova Pro in around 07. I loved the dye, but I hadn't tried the mold yet. Well, today it is still one of my fav. discs. The point I wanted to make is that I have acquired a number of them over time. This Quantum MF that I initially purchased was cast in the 11X plastic, and after all this time of throwing, it has minimal wear or damage. It is that amazing CE-ish plastic. I was able to find a few from a run done in 04 that is that same plastic. I have others that are this star type plastic as per your photos. I also throw the MS mids and have a number of them. I purchased some of the Quantum putters along the way also. I will be willing to part with some of these, if you were interested. Thanks Timo
I will keep you in mind my man. Late CE-ish plastic is amazing, only issue is, some of those discs that are super sweaty and fingerprinty are prone to breaking (the feel is actually from degradation..). The more clear, champion-esque 11x era plastic is where it's at!!
I am interested in any Sentinels you might have, just have to wait till after the good ol bills are paid, before I get too carried away.. lol
Feel free to PM me some pictures of the Sentinels you have!

Last edited:
Do i hear there are some sentinels for sale??! I would take 1!

the Gila behaves on anny and flex lines is totally different than a Sentinel. Sentinel rides a nice long forced anhyzer, Gila has more high speed stability and will not tolerate it like a Sentinel will.. only similarity I see between them is the dumpy-ish fade at the end. Sentinel has more glide.

As a prior Sentinel thrower I am with you. I think a lot of the comparison comes from Jamie wanting the Gila to be like flat sanny sentinels. I think the sentinel gets distance from glide where the gila makes up for it with a little speed. The recent softer amber gila have a mild dome, still not much since its such a flat mold, but it definitely gives it a slower glider flight. Definitely my favorite shot shaping run.

I doubt none of them will give you the confidence and across the board similar flight traits you have discovered with so much time invested in a specific era of a mold. Sadly it seems newer Q Sentinels also don't translate that well.

Another disc that fits somewhere in that world is the element-X/karma/Magnolia, but the majority of those do not have the HSS you would want out of a newer Sentinel, if you ever had to jump ship from the QMF I doubt you would want to be seeking the more OS runs of a semi boutique disc either.

I wonder if its Millennium choosing to not have them made due to sales, promoting the newer OS mid, or innova supply issues we have been seeing since 2020ish with discmania. It would take a long time for me to trust the longevity of innova partnered molds. Innova has never been a beacon of consistency run to run (largely due to large production volumes, but likely also due to production speed) and the partners have seen the worse end of it at times.

Good luck keeping your stash of oldies alive a long time, they are worth keeping the stock pile.

As a prior Sentinel thrower I am with you. I think the sentinel gets distance from glide where the gila makes up for it with a little speed.

Sadly it seems newer Q Sentinels also don't translate that well.

I wonder if its Millennium choosing to not have them made due to sales, promoting the newer OS mid, or innova supply issues we have been seeing since 2020ish with discmania.

Good luck keeping your stash of oldies alive a long time, they are worth keeping the stock pile.
THIS! I totally agree with you man. As far as a lack of production, I think it must be a mix of all the things you listed.
That softer run of Amber Gila's sounds interesting. The run of Amber I had a couple years back was board flat and stiff, and definitely did not fly like a sentinel, it had way more HSS. Not that it needs to fly like a sentinel though, it's a great disc regardless..
I just find them to have more speed, less glide, and more HSS in comparison, kinda like you mentioned..

Yeah new run Amber Gila have a more workable general stability.

Still plenty OS for all workhorse duties but it has a much less stubborn middle portion of its flight.

Definitely my Go To run as a single workhorse mid. Straight stable glidey yet OS. I love them!

Thanks for all the support guys!

Sentinels and EXP1's were always niche low-volume discs that didn't sell all that well. There really were not a ton of runs of them. So far as Sentinels go, in Q there was the original Sanny run, the www run that had the same stamp as the Sanny run, the metal flake run and the Brinster run. I'm pretty sure that's it. In M there was probably four, maybe five runs. There was one Sirrus run. So probably 10 runs of Sentinels in 25 years? I'm not holding my breath for any more.

Sentinels and EXP1's were always niche low-volume discs that didn't sell all that well. There really were not a ton of runs of them. So far as Sentinels go, in Q there was the original Sanny run, the www run that had the same stamp as the Sanny run, the metal flake run and the Brinster run. I'm pretty sure that's it. In M there was probably four, maybe five runs. There was one Sirrus run. So probably 10 runs of Sentinels in 25 years? I'm not holding my breath for any more.
Sucks that you are probably right.

Latest posts