• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you do?

goosefraba1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys.... one of my friends gave me an orange champ starfire yesterday. It has very light ink on the underside of the flight plate. Since it is now my disc, I would prefer not to have the other name and number on the back. I tried to the best of my ability to get rid of the rest of the ink on the back (acetone, rubbing it off). So, I left with A) mark it out with a sharpie, B) make a design over it with a sharpie, or C) wait until I can try to dye over it.... I've never dyed anything.... and don't have the materials.

So what do you guys think I should do?

I've heard that coloring over it with dry erase marker and then wiping it off will do it. Never tried it because I quit marking new discs. I also buy a lot of used bin discs so I just don't worry about it. I also try not to get too upset over lost discs.

question.
Is the name and phone number on the disc your friends name and phone #?
If so, cover it up with sharpie if you want.
If not, call the number and try to return that plastic.

Keep playing and check out the marketplace here on DGCR for great deals on plastic.

Also, the Starfire is probably too much disc for you at this point, but I know nothing of your skill level....I just know it took me at least a year before I could properly(ish) throw my Starfire.

Yes.... lol.... the disc has my friend's number on it. And yes the disc a little more than the valk that I normally throw about 270. I might just put it back for a couple months.... I will see after taking it for a test drive.

my buddies name is still on a disc i bought from him...often when we play together he accidentally attempts to play from it...haven't given him a stroke for it yet, but i'm waiting patiently too.

i trade/gift discs with friends frequently and I always cross their name out with a single line and put my info on there as well. I had one guy return a disc to me (which I had given to a friend and he put a single line through my name) because he recognized my name from playing on a card together at a tournament. He wasn't sure if I gave/traded/sold it away or if someone found it and claimed it for himself. I explained and gave it back to my buddy and everybody lived happily ever after.

I would just leave it on, if he's a good buddy of yours of course. Hopefully you won't ever lose it, but he will let you know if he gets a call about. Better than coloring over it and leaving a mess of sharpie on your disc, IMO.

contact northerndisc...pay him to throw down an amzing dye...if i were in your shoes...that's what i'd do...

This. Or if it's really light you may be able to sand it off without noticeable wear on the disc, though it may be against PDGA rules to do so (help me out frequent tourney players). If you don't want to sand it just go with the dye. That way you'll have an awesome disc that's outside of your skill level and an incentive to get better!

i trade/gift discs with friends frequently and I always cross their name out with a single line and put my info on there as well. I had one guy return a disc to me (which I had given to a friend and he put a single line through my name) because he recognized my name from playing on a card together at a tournament. He wasn't sure if I gave/traded/sold it away or if someone found it and claimed it for himself. I explained and gave it back to my buddy and everybody lived happily ever after.

This. I am in charge of my clubs lost discs cache. And people come to me with discs all the time, because they know I will pass them on as soon as I can to the rightful owner.

And when I see a disc where there has been a clear attempt to completely eradicate information about the previous owner I assume it was illgotten and try my best to determine who the previous owner was. And 4 out of 5 times it has indeed been discs that were lost - but not traded/given away.

So just stroke it out if you can. But I can understand trying to remove it if it seriously hurts the aestetics of the disc.

Hey guys.... one of my friends gave me an orange champ starfire yesterday. It has very light ink on the underside of the flight plate. Since it is now my disc, I would prefer not to have the other name and number on the back. I tried to the best of my ability to get rid of the rest of the ink on the back (acetone, rubbing it off). So, I left with A) mark it out with a sharpie, B) make a design over it with a sharpie, or C) wait until I can try to dye over it.... I've never dyed anything.... and don't have the materials.

So what do you guys think I should do?

For now, I would do nothing. Throw the disc for awhile and see if it is a disc you like and if it will be staying in your bag. If you end up liking it, then invest the money in getting a dyer to put a dye on it (if you only intend to do a few dyes, much cheaper and easier to get someone else to do it). If you happen to lose the disc in this time period and you lose it, your friend will remember that he gave it to you and give it back to you if someone returns it to him.