• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats better? Firebird or xXx?

I've got two of each - they are identical and fly identical (ie - rumor squashed). If I had an investment to protect, I'd probably claim 'flight differences' as well. It's easy to fall for the "well the stamp changed, so they changed the disc!" story when you've been on DGCR too long.

I have a Firebird that flys just like one of my Teebirds. They must be the same disc. Thanks for clearing that up Mind Expulsion.

As a general rule of thumb; 11x Firebirds were much flatter and more overstable than the production 12x Firebirds. However, some of the more recent 12x runs have been just as flat and stable as their 12x brethren.

I actually kinda wanted slow over fast. The firebird or xxx is going to be a utility disc and not so much a driver. It could be a driver for holes 300 or less I suppose. Mostly though I need it for a consistent, overstable workhorse.

I've got a trident and it's not stable enough but thanks lol.

Based on this post I'm leaning towards xXx, Opto probably. xXx is a great OS utility, spike hyzers, long thumbers, etc. The FB is a little more useful as an actual driver, especially a domey 12x. Basically, the trick with FBs is the flatter, the more overstable.

You've got to read between the lines sometimes here; most of the OOP value of discs here is the stamp - and rarely the plastic. The logic that a disc mold has changed because a 12x stamp was applied instead of the 11x stamp they were using the day before ... that's a disc sellers logic. It's also partly the 'I have an old disc that is better than what they make now!' syndrome ... tends to happen every time a stamp changes.

That was a big confusion for me too. Should I have a 11x or 12x?! In the end I decided a champ firebird is a champ firebird.

You've got to read between the lines sometimes here; most of the OOP value of discs here is the stamp - and rarely the plastic. The logic that a disc mold has changed because a 12x stamp was applied instead of the 11x stamp they were using the day before ... that's a disc sellers logic. It's also partly the 'I have an old disc that is better than what they make now!' syndrome ... tends to happen every time a stamp changes.

While you might have a point in general terms, you're off base regarding the firebird. The domes on the 11x are much much flatter than the domes on most of the 12x runs. They fly differently, pure and simple. That's a disc thrower's logic.

Like I said - I have four, two of each. Weird thing is ... none of mine have domes. They are identical (all flat) and fly the same. Guess I'm just that lucky; ordered all four at different times! :thmbup: That's a disc thrower's logic.

While you might have a point in general terms, you're off base regarding the firebird. The domes on the 11x are much much flatter than the domes on most of the 12x runs. They fly differently, pure and simple. That's a disc thrower's logic.

Like I said - I have four, two of each. Weird thing is ... none of mine have domes. They are identical (all flat) and fly the same. Guess I'm just that lucky; ordered all four at different times! :thmbup: That's a disc thrower's logic.

Except for the fact that recent 12x runs have been as flat as the previous 11x runs.

don't argue with him BCR, his 0.8 years of experience obviously trumps anything we might know from actually throwing discs.

don't argue with him BCR, his 0.8 years of experience obviously trumps anything we might know from actually throwing discs.

My bad :| You're right. An evaluation of four discs out of the THOUSANDS produced should be enough of a statistically significant sample to debunk the assertions of the dozens (hundreds?) of us that believe...nay, know...otherwise.

So the 12x firebirds have more of a dome then the 11x? I'd like a flatter firebird I think.

Most of them do, but not all. I know that most of the new CFR glo ones that I have seen are all flat. Best thing to do is check them out for yourself in a shop.

I wouldn't recommend getting addicted to the 11x runs, if you haven't thrown them before. It will just end up costing you more money. When it comes to OOP discs, ignorance is best.

I have a weird question I have a black 171g XXX and when I throw it RHFH it goes strait low to the ground when I throw it full power. I keep hearing the term meathook and when i bearly put power on it it dose do a quick 90 degree turn. Do I have a weird XXX or is this the norm?

That sounds pretty normal for a super overstable disc. When you don't get the torque on it it requires it will crash out super hard super fast. Meat hook refers to the flight of the disc in terms of overstability. The more overstable it is the more meat hook like it will be. I.e the xxx.

Last edited:
To me, the Firebird felt better as a day to day wind fighting BH driver. The XXX, especially flat Opto's were better for max distance OH shots. That's my primary use for the XXX. But they also work well for a headwind disc. I'm just not sure they have the distance potential or flexibility of the Firebird for BH's. A lot depends on how you will use it, and how it feels in your hand. Either way, it seems like most people prefer the flat versions for their over stability and wind fighting capabilities.

The other perk to throwing a Firebird over a xXx is that you can get Firebirds in baseline plastic, so you can beat one fairly straight or have a great disc to hyzer over water with reckless abandon.

That is a good point, however, I don't have any water hazards at any local course. I guess it still would be nice for blind drives into the thick though.

I carry both. The XXX is far more overstable than even a new max weight champ firebird. The firebird goes straight if you throw it into a hurricane. The XXX doesn't. Great overhand disc, but I rarely throw it off a tee.

I carry both. The XXX is far more overstable than even a new max weight champ firebird. The firebird goes straight if you throw it into a hurricane. The XXX doesn't. Great overhand disc, but I rarely throw it off a tee.

Maybe the Firebirds you have thrown. I have a stack of 11x Glows that go left no matter how hard you throw them or the wind.