• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's Holding Disc Golf Back

Ok, as far as Olympics go, most cities that host Olympics do not have courses. Olympic events are decided as far as 12 years in advance and there is a long list of sports that want in the olympics ahead of discgolf. Think about all of the sports at Dick's Sporting goods, Disc Golf gets an end cap and that is all. Disc golf is seen as a recreational activity and it is going to be a very long time until you see it in the olympics, especially when 90% of the courses are in the US. the Olympics is an INTERNATIONAL event.

You didn't imply that I was lazy? And possibly ignorant?

No I didn't.

If you quit everytime you don't succeed at something, you are a lazy quitter.

If you honestly believe that one persons ideas and opinions are superior to another's based solely on dg experience, then you are ignorant.

If you are insulted, then you must fit into one or both of those descriptions. I stand by my statements.

No I didn't.

If you quit everytime you don't succeed at something, you are a lazy quitter.

If you honestly believe that one persons ideas and opinions are superior to another's based solely on dg experience, then you are ignorant.

If you are insulted, then you must fit into one or both of those descriptions. I stand by my statements.

Keep banging away man, mabye someday you'll get what you want, or mabye not. I allready stated that your opinions are welcome, so I don't know where your going with that. You don't get what I'm saying, and I'm cool with that. Just quit trying to fix something thats not broke.

To be considered for the Summer Olympics, a sport must have a presence in at least 50 countries. DG is currently around 20. We have a better chance to make it in the Winter Olympics which might be possible in 20 years.

thrembo, Dsterns is an active DG player who competes in distance competitions.
Dsterns, thrembo is an old school player who has been playing almost as long as discs have been around.

You guys are both cool guy who contribute to the sport, so make up and attack a noobie like the rest of us :)

I'm willing if he is.

thrembo, Dsterns is an active DG player who competes in distance competitions.
Dsterns, thrembo is an old school player who has been playing almost as long as discs have been around.

You guys are both cool guy who contribute to the sport, so make up and attack a noobie like the rest of us :)

I have no problem with the guy and hold a great deal of respect for the old school golfers, probably more than most. I just wish there was more respect given to the newer golfers and those that bust their ass to help progress the sport. I've probably learned just as much from golfer that have been playing less than five years as from old school golfers. And yes, I have played with a lot of them.

The next big name golfer, PDGA director, or TD is probably a noon right now.

I do respect new players opinions, and welcome new ideas, it just gets old sometimes having newcomers acting like there is something wrong with our beloved sport, and wanting to fix it for us.

In the early days of our sport, it seemed really important to get disc sports in the Olympics. Mabye we did give up, or they changed the rules somewhere down the road making it impossible to do now.

I've got no problem with anyone that doesn't have a problem with me. Enjoy what we have now, and we will see what the future brings!

Have you guys ever thought about calling the local media to do a story on a big tournament in your area? That would help expose the sport to people who have never heard of it. I have met a lot of people who have seen the baskets in their parks, and have no idea what they are for.

They had the Texas State Championships 45 minutes from Houston, and I saw nothing about it on the news. Would have made a good story.

Back in the early 90s when I was TDing I got the local newspaper to do a story on our tournament. During one round I had to explain to 2 nice couples in their 50s that they were standing in the middle of a fairway. When I introduced myself they said, "You're the guy in the newspaper". They were out there to see the tournament because of the media coverage.

Sad to say they were the only non golfers that showed that weekend.

We need to get disc golf mentioned in a major summer blockbuster. Besides those of us who can be called Uber dorks, who knew about LARPing before Role Models (not sure if that qualifies as a summer blockbuster but you get the point)? If some funny people played a round of disc golf as a bonding experience or whatever the movie called for, not only would a ton of people be exposed, I'm willing to bet you'd have some new disc devotees with celebrity status!

I feel disc golf will make television some day...

espn-8-the-ocho.jpg

I was thinking more recently like Modern Family and Happy Endings

Being on Simpsons and Seinfield were both big.

It's been mentioned before but DG was on the show Numb3rs and also there was some object golf with lids in the Donal Logue movie 'The Tao of Steve'.